Holiday food in Hungary

Hello,

End of year holidays around the world are such an exciting time of the year, with holiday food playing a big part of the traditions and celebrations.

What are some traditions surrounding holiday meals in Hungary?

Tell us about a few of the traditional holiday dishes and meals in Hungary.

What are some of your favourites?

Are the food that are consumed during the festive season easy to prepare at home, or do most people buy them at the store?

Are holiday meals a big family festivity in Hungary?

Is there a general budget that people allocate to holiday meals?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

One thing I do wonder about in Hungary is why don't I ever see and candy canes?
I miss the old ribbon candy we used  to enjoy around the holidays I do know why they no longer sell that .
Perhaps a specialty shop may still produce ribbon candy but main stream store do not.Think the pieces would break off and could choke a person, miss those flavors though.

Well, it looks like no one is eating on the holidays...
We bought a ham for the holiday and a few bottles of bubbly, I'm all set to go.
Also making my fave Hungarian  Holiday style snack, can't spell it , Koreset?
Feta cheese with butter, caraway seeds, onion and of course paprika.
Found made in Hungary candy here in Vegas.
Trader Joe's sells boxes of "Cherry Queen" candy.
They have been reboxed in Trader Joe's containers but are exactly the same as those sold in HU and the box states they are made in Hungary.
Bought a few boxes weeks ago as they always  sell out early.
Years ago they were sold here in original Hungarian boxing but perhaps because they do contain some alcohol inside they have been reboxed in the US.
In fact they taste fresher then some of the boxes we purchased in the past in Hungary.
The good thing is they are not smashed to pieces like when we used to bring them over from Hungary and shove them in our suitcases.

I counted the pieces of candy in the box, 38 of them!
Only $6. a box.
Think they sell cheaper here in the states then they do in Hungary.
Very fresh too, not stale or back dated.

Perhaps the others who might have replied are saddened, like I am, that the word "Christmas" appears to have become an expletive!

I've had 50+ Xmas's and I don't think any of them will capture the excitement of those when one is perhaps 6-7 years old and that really is Santa you can hear on the roof........

......and not those pesky pine martins chewing up your attic stored cardboard boxes with valuables inside.....