Converting GCC driving licenses to Bahrain driving license

Dear All,

Today I converted my KSA driving license to a Bahraini one with the following simple and easy steps:

My case:
I travelled from KSA on final exit and currently in Bahrain on employment visa.
My driving license from KSA is still valid for about 2 years from now.
I got my Bahrain License issued now, in the 1st week of December 2018.

The documents required are as follows:
- CPR copy (Front & back)
- KSA DL copy (front & back)
- Passport copy (First Page, Last Page and Visa Page)
- Passport size Photo Qty.1

Procedure:
- Go to Driving Learning School located in Al-A'ali
- Go to the Reception and inform the guy there that you want to exchange your KSA license to a Bahraini one
- The guy asks for a photograph which he pastes on a form. He will look at the original KSA license and will give us the form, which should be filled with our details, namely CPR no., Address, Passport No. and License number of the KSA license and issue & expiry date. He will also issue a token number which you need to keep until the last step. (You will be using the same token during each step)
- After filling the form, head straight to the eye testing rooms (Room # 21 & 22) and wait for your token number to show up. Get the eye test done, sign and stamp from the doctor on the form and collect your token back.
- After the eye test, wait in the hall for your token number to come up to see the Licensing
  Department Staff at the counter (Counter # 1-20).
- At the counter, the employee will have a look at the form and the attached documents. Here he asked to see my CPR and KSA driving license. He did not ask for the passport nor took a copy of it. But still you may keep the passport in hand (in case they ask for it)
- If all is ok, he prints a receipt and asks you to deposit 26.5 BD at the machines located on the opposite side of these counters just beside the reception or you might pay by swiping your card.
- After payment, head back to the same employee and give him the receipt.
- He will issue you the Bahraini Driving License and driving rule book.
- The validity of the license is 5 years from the date of issue.

Note:
- If you wish to retain your KSA DL with you, then you should provide a proof that you are still a resident of KSA and hold a valid iqama. In case, you can't then they will take away the KSA license.
- I read in some threads that employer letter or employer sign and stamp is required on the form.
I did not have both and they did not ask for it.

Thanks & Best Regards

Thinker5919

Thank you for sharing the detailed information.

Good update.  Point to note is that this is EXACTLY the same process for converting from other GCC driving licenses.   

I will ask for this thread to be made into a sticky.

My pleasure sir..
Keep up the good work..

Hi,,
kindly note the any Driving Permit issued by the GCC countries cannot be renewed if the Residence permit of the issuing country has expired.
So just try to produce the Valid driving permit of the GCC country to the Traffic Dept as mentioned in the earlier post , to get your Bahraini Driving Permit. its always a good idea to renew your Driving permit for another 5 years before hand,  in case you have to leave Bahrain. That would give you a credit if you moving to another country.

Yes that is a good tip.  But also note that every GCC country has different rules for renewal of driving permit.  For example, Bahrain only allows you to renew 6 months in advance of the expiry.  So depending on your dates of departure and permit dates, you might be lucky or you might not be.

In terms of an update, recently, the traffic authorities have started asking for proof of validity of license issued by the relevant authority (in the license issuance country) in order to do the conversion.   This seems to be applied only to GCC licenses.  So let's see how this goes.

Is there any further update on this process from traffic dept.

Hi All,
Recent Update:

You need to download a android app called "skiplino" (u have to search with skiplino bahrain) and take an appointment first before visiting to the driving school or Muharrak branch (Only in these 2 locations, u have access to GCC driving license conversion). Without the appointment, do not go there; they haven't allowed me without the appointment, as i was not aware of this. Also, they will allow u inside, only 15 mins prior to ur appointment time.

Also, if ur visa is still valid in the source country (say, Oman), they are returning back the Oman licence as well, means u can use both the licences.

Currently, u have to pay BD5 for eye test and BD20 for licence fees (for 5 years). The payment is only by card in Muharrak branch whereas u can pay by cash also in driving school branch.

They r not converting licence if it is less than 1 year old.

They r not asking for any letter from Oman driving center nor signed employee letters.

Hi,
Just to update, they r issuing GCC driving license replacement even ur original residency with the source country is closed.

In my case, my Oman residency is closed, but I got my bahrain driving license converted from Oman license. They asked me whether my Oman licence is open or closed. I had replied it was closed. So they took my Oman licence and issued a Bahrain license.

If ur Oman visa is open, then they r returning the Oman licence as well.

The only condition is the source country licence should be more than 1 year old.

I have 7 months valid oman licence i want to convert to bahrain licence wat is the procedure now thanks in advance

R u sure i have 7month remaining do they accept?

Same process as mentioned above, the only condition it is should be valid.

Hai all,

My Saudi licence got expired on January 2021. Is it possible I can apply or convert this to bahrain licence, as I'm coming to bahrain with new employment visa by April. Kindly advice.

Thanks a'd regards
Jas

I don't think that will be possible. Try visiting the traffic directorate and check.

T&R

Sir i have 2 months validity for my saudi license but i dont have valid visa for saudi but i want my saudi license back because i have to send my original saudi license to my old company is that possible

For that i believe your Saudi visa has to be valid,  you should visit the traffic directorate to get clarity.

T&R

Are you sure you can renew your Bahrain drivers license 6 months in advance I thought it was 3 months, 6 would be better so please let me know. Thanks

3 months prior to expiry.

Thank you.  This information is very useful.  We can use the app to check which office accepts application to convert my driving licence to a Bahraini driving licence.  There are 2.  And I think their working hours have changed.  Their official website says it's from 7am to 7pm while the app only shows available time slots before 1pm or 2pm.

Anyway, thanks for the useful tips.

I submit my uae driving license in Bahrain. Now I have Bahrain driving license. But if I go again uae I will gate my uae driving license again. And what is a process go gate my uae license back..

Read the posts. If you go back to the UAE, you have to go RTA office in Deira, show a valid uae residence, do eye test, pay fee and take license back. But if it's expired then all the tests and so on. That used to be the process. 

DUBAI LICENSE IS EXPIRED BUT I HAVE VALID BAHRIN CPR AND I NEED TO TAKE BAHRAIN LICENSE IT IS POSSIBLE TO CONVERT ..

DUBAI LICENSE IS EXPIRED BUT I HAVE VALID BAHRIN CPR AND I NEED TO TAKE BAHRAIN LICENSE IT IS POSSIBLE TO CONVERT ..
-@mohamed liyakath

The expired license of any GCC Country cannot be converted directly to Bahrain License. Check with GDT, they might give you some consideration like direct to test without class with an expired license.

@Sathish920 its a good info for me. i was in kuwait for the past 16 years and holding the license for the 16 years. now my residence is closed and my driving license is expired on covid time on 2020. upon checking in kuwait MOI website my driving license is valid until June 2023, physically card is expired . whats next to get the Bahrain Driving License

@Sathish920 I can't find anything related to driving in the app, most likely they have removed the MOI options and sub-categories/options