Where are most English speaking expats+where are emerging areas?

Currently trying to narrow down where to start my recon trip for semi-retirement. Da Nang, Vung Tao or ? Grateful for any ideas, suggestions and connections...

Hey workplacestars

Depending on what you are looking for there are tons of places along the coast that offer a wide variety of options.

If you like the trappings of the big city then DaNang is a better option. Vung Tau along with Nha Trang are nice tourist areas, if you are into that scene.

I personally chose a third option, Quy Nhon. It's a relatively small port city with a developing expat community that still keeps many of the Vietnamese traditions,  but is slowly becoming more cosmopolitan. It's also a bit cheaper for food, rent and living expenses,  and you are still about an hour flight away from DaNang and HCMC. I've been here for three years and I do love this area

Good luck,

Mark

workplacestars :

Currently trying to narrow down where to start my recon trip for semi-retirement. Da Nang, Vung Tao or ? Grateful for any ideas, suggestions and connections...

Bob,

I went back and reread your intro thread post, plus your private message, and although there's a lot of info (data?) there, I can't ferret out what you really want or need in Vietnam, aside from your desire to have a positive impact.

Tell us about the life you want to live, the foods you want to eat, the help you want to have (live-in domestic help?), the things you do for fun, your sign, your average Blood Alcohol Level, your vision of a dream "semi" retirement and what "semi" work you'll be doing to keep you from going All In.

Without knowing what drives you, I'd suggest Đà Nẵng, mostly because of its central location along the coast. You'll be able to store excess luggage (no valuables) at most hotels, so you can check in and out and back in easily.

Airfare from here to many places throughout the country is relatively inexpensive. Book directly with the airline website to get the best deal. Buy train tickets at the station or directly from the website of the national railway system through the link on THIS PAGE.

Hiring a car and a mandatory driver is easy. Negotiating the best price requires getting to know at least two drivers personally (through GRAB app rideshares) and having a knowledge of the two-tier pricing system.

I personally think that the main advantage to living in expat-friendly areas is signage in our Mother Tongue. However, you pay for that help with substantially higher prices and the experience of an authentic Vietnamese cultural vacuum; at least, here you do. I think of my area as a benign ghetto of foreigners, but it suits my short-term goal of having a base of operations from which to continue exploring the surrounding countryside, while waking up every morning just a garbage bag toss from the beach.

Good luck!

Greetings Mark,

Really appreciate the information you provided about Quy Nhon. This is exactly the type and timely information I was seeking. What a beautiful city and with such environmental diversity. At this point it is a city that I'd like to visit and experience. I've requested to join two local area FB groups with "expats" in the group title. Excited to learn more before visiting, are there other sources you can suggest? How might I learn more about the cost of living differential between Da Nang and Quy Nhon?

Best, Bob

OceanBeach92107 :
workplacestars :

Bob,

I went back and reread your intro thread post, plus your private message, and although there's a lot of info (data?) there, I can't ferret out what you really want or need in Vietnam, aside from your desire to have a positive impact.

Tell us about the life you want to live, the foods you want to eat, the help you want to have (live-in domestic help?), the things you do for fun, your sign, your average Blood Alcohol Level, your vision of a dream "semi" retirement and what "semi" work you'll be doing to keep you from going All In.

Without knowing what drives you, I'd suggest Đà Nẵng, mostly because of its central location along the coast. You'll be able to store excess luggage (no valuables) at most hotels, so you can check in and out and back in easily.

Airfare from here to many places throughout the country is relatively inexpensive. Book directly with the airline website to get the best deal. Buy train tickets at the station or directly from the website of the national railway system through the link on THIS PAGE.

Hiring a car and a mandatory driver is easy. Negotiating the best price requires getting to know at least two drivers personally (through GRAB app rideshares) and having a knowledge of the two-tier pricing system.

I personally think that the main advantage to living in expat-friendly areas is signage in our Mother Tongue. However, you pay for that help with substantially higher prices and the experience of an authentic Vietnamese cultural vacuum; at least, here you do. I think of my area as a benign ghetto of foreigners, but it suits my short-term goal of having a base of operations from which to continue exploring the surrounding countryside, while waking up every morning just a garbage bag toss from the beach.

Good luck!

Hi OceanBeach, first off thanks for taking the time to try and understand me and what (I think) I'm seeking. As you have discerned there is a lack of clarity on my part right now about exactly what I'm looking for in terms of location...call it the "storming" phase. Not having been to VN before (Philippines yes) it is important for me to experience the experience of an extended visit to locations narrowed down from pre-visit research.

There is no existing agenda in terms of care taking support, meeting a woman or whatever. Fortunately I'm blessed with good health and a positive spirit.

Life style preferences: Being a relatively reserve and private person, yet comfortably social and conversational I'm looking for a low stress, reasonably safe, moderate cost of living city with the choice of a rural living option (my Midwestern and Southern roots). Making friends and socializing with other English speaking expats is important.

My hobbies are hiking/walking (3-5 hrs is not unusual), listening to non-fiction audiobooks and following world events. As an Aries (fire sign) exercise is good medicine.

Love the HEAT and humidity is okay.

Sashimi is my fav food. My New York diet includes lots of Costco (fresh frozen) seafood like cod, salmon and mahi-mahi 3-4 days a week rounded off with chix, pasta+veggies and some beef. Therefore locations with good fresh seafood is a plus.  I enjoy uncomplicated cooking and light baking. VN food is fantastic and spicy is okay with me. BTW, I purchase soy sauce via Ebay in multiple liters quanties.

Can't do without coffee and consume alcohol maybe once every several months in moderation.

Work is something that I've ALWAYS enjoyed. My company name is Workplace Stars (workplacestars.com) and is an internet-based employee engagement measurement company.  Working part-time is something I want to do, not have to do. Actually I'd like to find someone in the world who would like to take over my company - maybe in VN? It needs a person who is more marketing and sales oriented than me.

Whew! Your laser focused questions have served the (intended?) purpose of helping me to hone my focus. And, as usual you have provided a cornucopia of helpful information, mucho gras :)

Have you made a final decision about where your life's next chapter will be written?

I personally chose a third option, Quy Nhon. It's a relatively small port city with a developing expat community

It's funny, I was in the Americal Devision HQ,  Quy Nhon in 1971 when a typhoon came thru and damned near wiped it off the map, it was the worst destructiion of a city by a typhoon in Vietnam's history in over one hundred years.

But I agree very attractive, has that peninsula look about it.

tunnelrat69 :

I personally chose a third option, Quy Nhon. It's a relatively small port city with a developing expat community

It's funny, I was in the Americal Devision HQ,  Quy Nhon in 1971 when a typhoon came thru and damned near wiped it off the map, it was the worst destructiion of a city by a typhoon in Vietnam's history in over one hundred years.

But I agree very attractive, has that peninsula look about it.

Now that is a lasting memory!

Where is there NOT the risk of some type of natural disaster?

Having lived through (counting blessings) two cat 5s (Bob & Gloria) and super storm Sandy (huge property destruction + no power for 11 days) in Long Island, New York I'll take my chances...you only live once :)

Great thread and info.  Been I'll be in Vietnam in about 2 weeks for 2 months.  Got 1 1/2 weeks at end of trip undecided.  Maybe I'll take visit.  Any recommendations on central area to stay?

Can you give me more information regards to your company. I am just thinking of my son who has extensive marketing experience.

Thanks
Dianne

Moderated by Bhavna 2 hours ago
Reason : Contact the member through the private messaging system to avoid any kind of advertising on the forum.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct