Recognition of Same-Sex Marriages

I am legally married to an Ecuadorian man and I am a man.  Does the Ecuadorian government recognize same-sex (United States) marriages between an Ecuadorian man and a citizen of the United States?  He currently has a United States permanent resident card, is employed here in The Commonwealth of Kentucky, and will soon be a United States citizen.  If he returns to Quito (his place of birth and where he grew up) and I'm with him, what are my rights?  Would I be an "ex-pat?"  Or would my status be seen as the same as marriage between two who are opposite-sex?

Coxhere :

Would I be an "ex-pat?"  Or would my status be seen as the same as marriage between two who are opposite-sex?

That’s not how you will be viewed. Governments view the status of people in terms of the law. In Ecuador, you are either a tourist, temporary resident, permanent resident or citizen. Persons who are married to Ecuadorians have the option to become residents and possibly citizens. In your case and as far as I understand it, same-sex marriages are recognized as a civil union. 

Civil unions do not enjoy all the rights that marriage does (for example - adoption). The difference between marriage and a civil union are available on this wikipedia page.  Hopefully someone can share personal experience.

As for the term expat, well that’s mainly a term foreigners living in a foreign country give themselves. In some countries like Hong Kong, and Singapore the term is quite appealing because it’s associated with a perceived higher social status. For instance, I knew one Singaporean woman who was adamant on being an “expat wife.”

Our adopted children wouldn't be adopted in Ecuador?  Would they be taken away from us if we came and brought them with us?  We won't come if this is the case.  Sad.

Coxhere :

Our adopted children wouldn't be adopted in Ecuador?  Would they be taken away from us if we came and brought them with us?  We won't come if this is the case.  Sad.

I don't know if this is the case in Ecuador, but there are places where you could be arrested for living with minors who are not considered by law to be related to you.  Good luck.

Coxhere :

Rarely do I use these words but consult with a local attorney. Your situation is complicated especially with children. Discuss your Ecuadorian husband, adopted children, residency, schooling, etc.