Tourist visa extension

I want to extent 3 month tourist visa expiring on 12 December 2018.  I’m a UK national.

Travel Agency in Saigon has agreed 1 month extension for 80 USD.

Seems one month extension lasts until 12 January 2019. However, if I need to stay in Vietnam for a further two weeks or so. i.e. 26 January 2019, can I arrange another extension or do I need to do visa run?

The info here (travel agent website) says we can extend 'ongoing visa for a maximum of 02 times'. However, the same webpage also says we can visit an Immigration office and get it done ourselves. I seriously doubt this.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has extended tourist visa two times.

$80 seems a little high for a one-month extension. Have you checked with other agents to get other quotes? Of course, I could be wrong.

can I arrange another extension or do I need to do visa run?

Check with your visa agent and/or other ones. Only visa agents know what is possible at a given time.

In my experience with extensions, which was several years ago, only one extension is possible. Again, I could be wrong.

For information about visas, you should contact at least two different visa agents (if not more) to see what they say and compare.  Asking other foreigners is not very useful, because we only know about our own visa situation and maybe that of a couple of close friends.

The people who know are the local Vietnamese who provide visa services.

johnross23 :

$80 seems a little high for a one-month extension. Have you checked with other agents to get other quotes? Of course, I could be wrong.

can I arrange another extension or do I need to do visa run?

Check with your visa agent and/or other ones. Only visa agents know what is possible at a given time.

In my experience with extensions, which was several years ago, only one extension is possible. Again, I could be wrong.

For information about visas, you should contact at least two different visa agents (if not more) to see what they say and compare.  Asking other foreigners is not very useful, because we only know about our own visa situation and maybe that of a couple of close friends.

The people who know are the local Vietnamese who provide visa services.

I just got off the phone with travel agency, then saw your post.

Asked her if extension two times can be done. She wasn't sure, needed to check. so confirmed and called me back.

She confirmed it Can be done. After first extension (done in HCM centre), I can contact her again in January and arrange second extension (also done in HCM centre). However, she couldn't give me a price for second extension as it may have gone up/down by then.

BTW, I checked with a second travel agent. He quoted double the price for 1 month extension. i.e. 160 USD. Also, 320 USD for 3 month extension.

1st travel agent couldn't tell me cost for 3 month extension ('she said it will be expensive'), I imagine it will be around 160 USD.

Sounds good although the price sill seems a bit high.  Maybe it's because its "high" season?

Anyway,  this certainly illustrates how fluid the visa situation is here. What's 'true' today may not be 'true' tomorrow.

This why forum memners can't really realistically give advice about visas.

johnross23 :

....This why forum memners can't really realistically give advice about visas.

No. No. not asking john Q. public for advice on visas. You do realise that some staff working for visa agencies are forum members on here. They can read our post and contact us privately.

Anyway, if a non-travel agent forum member had done a second extension recently, they could have said 'yes, it was possible' and I could have contacted them to ask for their travel agent contact details etc.

So, I think you are not looking at the bigger picture here.

I think JohnRoss is just trying to point out that in any given question on this forum, one can find virtually any answer.
In any case, I ened up paying about $300US for a visa run for a New ONE Year Visitors' visa.

Wxx3 :

I think JohnRoss is just trying to point out that in any given question on this forum, one can find virtually any answer.
In any case, I ened up paying about $300US for a visa run for a New ONE Year Visitors' visa.

I believe you are a U.S Citizen. the one year visitor/business visa is only available for U.S citizens.

THis is the reason I included my nationality on the OP. It dosen't mean your post is not useful, on the contrary, someone with U.S passport looking for a one-year visa will find it immensely useful.

BTW, agent number two (Vietnam Visa Expert SUNVIET) told me that extension is more expensive because I had arrived by Land border (not via airport). However, another agency told me that even if I had arrived at Tan Son Nhat Airport the extension cost is 160 USD for 1 month. (the same price as Vietnam Visa Expert SUNVIET had quoted before).

So, I agree with johnross23 that we should contact at least two different visa agents (if not more). I ended-up asking 5. The best price I received was 85 USD for 1 month extension (PM me if you wanna know the agent - not you Wxx3 - you already have 1 year visa).

In the end, I've decided to give-up the extension and am opting for a visa run to Moc Bai border instead.

:whistle:

:rolleyes:

HenryJo :

In the end, I've decided to give-up the extension and am opting for a visa run to Moc Bai border instead.

OOOKKK, that's what I did and it's still going to cost you.

Wxx3 :
HenryJo :

OOOKKK, that's what I did and it's still going to cost you.

If I was staying for just one month more, would have probably opted for extension.
I've now applied for 3 month invitation letter for moc bai border.
This way I don't have to apply for second extension (for which the pricing is not yet known).

Deleted.  Info no longer needed.