Does a no paid internship need a work permit?

Hello,

I am a student currently study tourism management in the Netherlands. Starting from February, I will have a 20 weeks internship in a tourism company in Malta. It is none financial compensation internship and is included in my study program. The passport I hold is Chinese passport. But I already got Schengen visa 3 year ago and my Netherlands resident permit is valid util 2020.

May I ask do I need to apply a visa or resident/work permit for this internship? I have emailed embassy of Malta for many times since last month. Unfortunately, I did't get any reply yet. I really need to know that since there is not much time left. Thanks in advance for any help.

Erin

Malta does not work by email, call them.

I have called them at least 10 times. Every time I need explain to her the situation but she  said I need to keep waiting. She said she know nothing about it...

Better call identity malta here in malta rather than the embassy.

https://identitymalta.com/citizenships-expatriates/

Thanks for your quick reply! Actually that is  the web page I used. I sent email to eresident department as well as central visa unit.

Erin Liu wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply! Actually that is  the web page I used. I sent email to eresident department as well as central visa unit.

And when you call them they say they don't know?

I started to contact them around 20th October, the latest contact is at yesterday morning. The lady who picked the phone said she was not familiar with apply procedure. She asked me for my email account and said will give me a reply later (that was  what she did every time when I contacted them). Unfortunately, there is never a reply after calling them.

Since you have Netherland Residence Permit as a Student and the internship (unpaid) is part of your study program, meaning therefore, that there is an agreement with your university in Netherland and the company you are to be engaged in Malta, then in that case, the latest EU directives on mobility for non EU students within the EU should apply: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2016/801/oj  (Directives 2016/801).

Article 31 thereof

Mobility of students

1.   Students who hold a valid authorisation issued by the first Member State and who are covered by a Union or multilateral programme that comprises mobility measures or by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions shall be entitled to enter and stay in order to carry out part of their studies in a higher education institution in one or several second Member States for a period up to 360 days per Member State subject to the conditions laid down in paragraphs 2 to 10.

A student who is not covered by a Union or multilateral programme that comprises mobility measures or by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions shall submit an application for an authorisation to enter and stay in a second Member State in order to carry out part of the studies in a higher education institution in accordance with Articles 7 and 11.

Note: It is important you know your rights according to the EU law even if it not properly applied in any host country..

Rotunda sinensis sums it up perfectly.
Don't expect the host country to properly apply EU legislation. Know your rights! You'll probably be teaching them, in this case Malta, how the legislation applies. Happened to me and many others. Good luck!

I know someone in a similar situation to you who has just started an internship. He is a non-EU student, at university in France, with a three year Schengen visa. He had no problem getting in to Malta.

first of all i don't understand how long is the duration is of your internship. if the duration is less than three months then  you don't need visa or residence permit for malta. if it is more than three month then just come in malta visit identity malt which i the immigration office which issues the residence permit.

So in short if it is less than three month then you stay in malta for three months without having required any visa and if its is more that three months then just buy ticket and come in malta and apply for your residence permit for malta in any case you don't need seperate visa for malta you can travel with your netherland residence permit.

Still if you need any information the you can contact me on my whatsapp number XXX

Moderated by Julien 5 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct