Scooter license?

Sooo many post on this that I'm going dizzy - all with differing info.

Put me straight please.

1.  You need a business visa of at least 3 months (or a rental contract) to apply for a scooter license YES?NO?
2.  The issued licence lasts only as long as your visa. YES?NO?
3.  Therefore it's not worth bothering as I'll have to do it all over again when I get my next 3-month visa.

If this is correct, how do long-stay expats manage?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to get some info I can send you the number of guy.

I think it's the length of time of the Visa, one year for a multi entry visa, even though you have to leave every 90 days.

Wxx3
Yes, the licence lasts as long as your visa.

And as they have now put a hold on 6-month and  one year business visas, I repeat my question -
what do expats do about licences in Vietnam?

colinoscapee
If you want to get some info I can send you the number of guy.

Oh joy n bliss!

Yes please!

You can't answer yes or no to everything.

You should also keep in mind that this is a public forum of expats and not a paid hotline service.  So back off with demands.

1. A visa of more than 3 months is required.  A work permit is not required.

2. Yes

3. That is probably a matter of opinion and cannot be answered with yes or no.

A conversion of your driving license into a Vietnamese driving license takes about 2 weeks and costs a few 100k Dong.

In another thread, Ciambella showed that, depending on your home country, your international driver's license is also valid.  You can search the Internet to find out if your country is one of them.

If so, have the IDL and the website that proves that Vietnam accepts your country's IDL translated into Vietnamese for a few hundred dong (so you can show it to the ignorant policemen).

I was waiting until this past summer to get my new driver's license translated. But now, I only have about 4 more months here full time, so probably won't do anything.

Just don't get in serious accident, then it becomes a big issue.

Andy Passenger

Thank you for your detailed reply, for which I'm grateful.

"Back off with the demands"? What side of bed did you fall out of?

I "demanded" nothing! - it's just not in my nature to demand. In what way did I "demand" anything?

I did, however, politely pose three questions to which I'd mentioned I was getting conflicting information. And then wondered how long-stayers went about getting a licence, if they have to go through the whole process every three months. That was all.

There's a group of expat teachers that found some Vietnamese bike rental/driving instructors in Saigon that can probably help a lot with driving & license issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OczBv4LCQic

I renew my car licence recently, so i can confirm and shape some info:

- Yes, the most easy way is convert ANY foreign licence to Viet one first.
- Yes, you need at least 3 month visa for this
- For HCM, they have PD in Q3 for doing it, takes about 5-7 days and about 150k.
- After you have ANY Viet licence (for example B), you can open other caterogy (f.e. A1) just passing practical exam. For me, it cost about 500k some years ago... don't sure for now.
- Any ASEAN country driving licence (Thailand, Singapore, Australia, etc...) is valid here and visa versa (i use my Viet one in Thailand without any problem).