Legal Advice

Hi all,

I'm South African and I've been living and working in Hungary for almost a year now. 2 weeks ago, I was put in the unthinkable position of retrenching 75% of staff and a week later, the rest of us were told to start looking for other jobs and that the 30th November would be our last day.

Furthermore, we've only been paid a part of our salary for October and even though we were told that we would be paid for the entire month of November too - I have serious doubts.

What are my rights as an employee in Hungary? Being given 1 weeks notice can't be legal especially if I wasn't given any documentation stating that the company is filing for bankruptcy.

Thank you
Shanta

I do hope someone on this site as some legit answers for you.
I think a call to your embassy might be in order as well as trying to seek some legal advice in HU.
Have you spoken with any of your fellow co-workers?
Perhaps they might know if it is normal practice for companies in HU to give one week notice.
I know in the US some states can just let you go without notice, not every state is required to give 2 weeks notice. It's called living in a "right to work" state.
If they are going bankrupt then it does seem it would be hard to get blood out of a stone.
Best of luck, perhaps in the short term you can get hired teaching English or some other small job just to stay."legal" in Hungary?

Same thing happened years ago to a friend of mine, the co. owned everyone back pay in S. Ca. and just closed their doors ne morning and wouldn't speak to anyone, just left a note on the front door stating it was over with.
Friend had no way to pay her rent so she moved in with my sister and I. They all attempted to get their back pay but the co. was long gone.
Happens everywhere sadly.
The good thing is you don't have to go to work these next few days if they don't seem like they are going to pay you, you can jump start your search for a new job.

Most of us here are not lawyers. But there is a directory here you can review if you want to contact a real attorney regarding your case:

https://www.expat.com/en/business/europ … -services/

And, thanks to my tax dollars.... The US Embassy has a list of attorneys in Hungary:

https://hu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … attorneys/

But.... Overall, firing someone In Hungary is not easy if one is an employee, and often needs cause. If one is on contract, then it is easier and sometimes very easy to dismiss someone. If a company goes bankrupt, there is not much you can do but become one of the creditors. If they lied to you, did not inform you, etc. then that only becomes part of your complaint and legal action. But don't expect much from that.

I am sorry that it happened to you. This is a common practice in Hungary. Companies fold up to go somewhere else where they can get cheaper laber. Claim bancrupcty. And not pay workers fully. Its due to a wild caspitalism that has no tegard to employees. What ypu can do is hire a lawyer. This could be with the other employees as a clasd action suit to save cost. Lawyers are expensive and frafulent. So you have choose one carefully. Law suit could take years. But this is how you can get after them. Good luck.

Sorry for the typos. I did not read it. Hope you can still understand. Be careful with lawyers since you are from an other country they cheat you. Take a hungarian speaking person or llook up prices before consult.