Bank accounts

Hi all has anybody got any recommendations for bank accounts in Bulgaria please ?  We're from uk 😊 any help appreciated 👍🏽✌🏽

Hi me again we have Post bank found them helpful

That's great Debbie thank you 👍🏽 X

Hi,

I'm working towards getting a bank account from Post Bank too. They wanted a photocopy of my passport, legal address back home in Finland, job contract, and a document of some level of residence in Bulgaria (rental contract in my case.)

The missing part for now is the rental contract since I have been renting using AirBnB but AFAIK the procedure should be clear if I get the contract.

A local person suggested that when working with multiple currencies the best practice is to have two bank accounts in a Bulgarian bank which operate in different currencies. The other one is going to be Leva and the other can be the one where you get your primary income. In my case it should be Euros.

This way, you can have the money easily transferred into the bank in the same currency (at least in Euros the transfer fees should be pretty minimal) and then exchanging Euros to Levas "locally" in the bank should be using good conversion rates. This can be done using a mobile app by simply transferring money from the second bank account to the first one. Then you can withdraw the money in Levas using a card from the local bank without any additional fees or problems. The good news is also that this way you can also separate your Bulgarian card + account to only withhold the bare essential money you need in case something goes wrong.

Just my 2 cents, Cheers.

-- Finnish Guy

PS. As for banks, I was recommended UniCredit Bulbank but I don't know if the differences are that big...

Thank you that's really interesting and we apriciate it 👍🏽✌🏽

Consider choosing one of the bigger banks. There's almost no way to make a mistake. In addition, select a bank with good online banking solutions. The last thing is probably proximity of a bank office to the place you plan to visit/invest/reside etc. And in your case - Englsih speaking employee there.

Names:

Bulbank / UniCredit
First Investment Bank
Societe Generale
PostBank
DSK Bank
Reiffeisen Bank
CCB

These should be more than enough.

Thank you that's really helpful we appreciate it 👍🏽