Need housing and a car

Hello,

I am coming to Costa from Jan. 3 to mid March. I will also be exploring a retirement residency.
Currently I am looking for a nice place to live for these 2 & 1/2 months that is not too expensive near Ojocal / Uvita area or vicinity and a 4 wheel drive vehicle to rent that will be reasonably priced.
Can anyone provide leads on a car and small house?

joe

Not sure if there are car rental places in that area or not... I know here in San Ramon there are none, you have to rent in San Jose or Alajuela.

Here's something to consider though, re renting a car:
If you require a 4x4 your insurance via credit card (free insurance etc many cards offer) , your credit card will NOT cover off-road driving. So if you were to get in an accident off road you'd be screwed if you didn't buy the insurance the rental car offers.

Often they will not tell you this but I called my bank back when, (Chase) and they sent me the documents re the insurance, and in the FINE PRINT, sure enough, they do not cover your car on any road that is considered "off road". What is considered off road? Well that isn't spelled out, which gave me concern.

So that really raises the price substantially! Full coverage ins. which is what I recommend here, is super expensive.

You may want to consider if you can get by without a rental. Some areas have 4x4 taxis that offer very good prices and although less convenient it may be much cheaper, depending on how much you plan to be driving.

Also: do not expect your rental car to be ready when they say it will be.
Example: you tell them you want it on Jan 3 at noon... You get there and you wait til 3pm to get your car...

I'm not saying this will happen; but it DOES happen sometimes so be prepared. Rental agencies are not even as reliable as they are in the U.S. which is to say not very reliable.

I've seen people stress out in a major way, waiting for their car to be ready. One time they told me they had my car ready but could not find a key for it!
They finally had to drive to San Jose to get an extra key.  I was waiting for like 3 hours for my car. Like I say, unfortately this happens here. If it doesn't happen to you, count yourself lucky. And I've rented from several different agencies and never found any particular one to be all that much better than another.

Hi Joe
Welcome to CR.
I highly recommend OFFROADCOSTARICA.com
To rent a  2 and 4d 4x4
German expat Thorsten is the owner operator and you will find him behind the desk.
He is straightforward and honest.
His rates upfront. He only does a $750 cc hold for insurance, only if you use it.
Max cost even if you total it. Offroad or not.
Less for lesser. Gives you full advice and nice map.
Busy now.
Contact now as jan is busy and rates are up.
He appreciates us cash
Later more..

He's in downtown SJ
Longer term can be arranged compare to big chains..do it now cause they all book out as jan is the highest season.
Tell him I sent you.

Also
I think he will so an airport pickup too, ask.
Sunday is a good pickup day as intense SJ traffic getting out of town is intense at rush hour. The driving style is something to experience but if you are assertive and defensive and a confident driver you be ok.
Pay attention at all times
ANYTHING can and will happen.
Do NOTNOTNOT drive at night.
Let the locals get by, they will drive much faster than comfortable or safe for you. Wave em by when you can see a safe stretch and slow a bit to speed their pass. Way slow vehicles will be encountered as well, especially just around that blind curve. Vehicles OFTEN Stop right in the road , so stay sharp always. When accidents happen you MUST leave the vehicles exactly where they are until police arrive, blocking the road or not. Do the same. Have your DR current and yourcopy of passport and entrance visa AT ALL TIMES!!Keep wide on outside curves and tight on the inside. Watch for ubiqitious speed bumps esp at school and town areas often unmarked and dangerous at speed. Watch for narrow bridges and definitely yield..ceda..when the sign indicates.and go when you dont have to yieldcause  you will confuse everyone and those behind will fly right around you. BIG trucks and flying buses can be encountered on any road, even narrow "country" roads. There is rarely a shoulder, usually a deep ditch on both sides. Pedestrians use the roads as sidewalks by necessity, carts and bicycles and baby carriges too. Speed traps are common too, on main roads mostly.. flashing lights by oncoming traffic means watch out. BIG FINES so just dont. Speaking with the horn is common and light taps are usually conversations and thanks, im here etc, dont take offence. Stopping to let mom and kids cross and other curtletesies are rare, so be careful of the rear end, but do it when you can..
Lots more..
Holiday inn express is good if you arrive late, 2 min from apt.
Hotel presidente in downtown SJ is my favorite. See my review in TripAdvisor and just a short safe walk to offroad.
More if ya want to know. I'm sure others will have important stuff to add.

Hello joe.
Are you there?

I couldn't agree more with Captbrad's warnings about driving safely in Costa Rica.
I think he touched on all the things you must watch out for.
I will add that yes people walk in the road because they have to, but no they don't HAVE to walk in the middle of the road, they just do out in the countryside.

And Ticos will stop right IN the road even on a major highway rather than pulling over to the side as far as they can, even when there is room to do so.

Go figure.
They are either very brave, or have death wishes, I'm not sure which.

We're past the rainy season right now (Dec) but for future readers of this post:
Also if it rains hard or gets super foggy look for a place to pull over and hope for it to pass. Because it may get so bad you can't see anything, which will scare the living ess out of you! Because if you stop in the highway in fog or heavy rain, those behind you might hit you, and yes somehow some people can see enough to drive under those conditions, but not me.

If you get behind a slow truck or bus, Ticos will push you to go around it even on a blind curve or blind hill. Don't be foolish, just make them wait until it's safe to go around. I shake my head in disbelief when I see a car full of Ticos including kids, passing a car on a blind curve or blind hill. It boggles my mind why they would do such a thing but they do.