Foreign nationality for baby born in Hungary

Hi All,

My fiancée and I are both foreigners living in Hungary. We come from 2 different EU countries but we are both resident in Hungary.

If our baby was born in Hungary, could he/she get both nationalities at birth? What should we do to make sure that the baby would acquire at least one of the nationalities and not a stateless or 'unknown' nationality?

I've read that showing our passports in the hospital at the baby's birth, it would start the birth registration with the "correct" nationality; but i've heard from people that it's not that simple.

Does anyone know or have experience on this matter and set me on the right path to save me time and avoid any complications?

Thanks

Legal Alien in HU wrote:

Hi All,

My fiancée and I are both foreigners living in Hungary. We come from 2 different EU countries but we are both resident in Hungary.

If our baby was born in Hungary, could he/she get both nationalities at birth? What should we do to make sure that the baby would acquire at least one of the nationalities and not a stateless or 'unknown' nationality?

I've read that showing our passports in the hospital at the baby's birth, it would start the birth registration with the "correct" nationality; but i've heard from people that it's not that simple.

Does anyone know or have experience on this matter and set me on the right path to save me time and avoid any complications?

Thanks

Just to clear up one thing, your kid will not be Hungarian unless one of you is Hungarian. 

You should say which EU countries you are from.  Some EU countries allow dual nationality and some do not.  Netherlands and Germany (some exceptions) for example do not allow dual nationality.  I don't think Austria does either.

Your baby will get a birth certificate from the registration office in due course.  It'll be in English, French and Hungarian and you can use that to get a passport from your embassy or from wherever dishes out passports.  The birth certificate is fully recognised in the EU and of equal status.

A word of dire warning, the UK rules are diabolically complicated, even inconsistent to the level of being abusive.  If you are British you need to be married for your child to be British unless the mother is British anyway.   It used to be that the child inherited the mother's nationality regardless of the unmarried father's status.  Rules change so best to check on it with the Embassy or Passport Agency.

Other thing is to make sure you have both sets of names (boys/girls/neutral) ready to use at the hospital because you have to name the baby there and then or before it's born.   

I speak from my experience of my better half (who is Hungarian) and I (British) having two kids born in Hungary and others born elsewhere in Europe.  Our kids are dual nationals of the UK and Hungary complete with two passports.

Legal Alien in HU wrote:

set me on the right path to save me time and avoid any complications

Contact your local national embassy or consulate with this question and ask them how to proceed with registering the birth for your native countries.

And as Fluffy2560 already said, your child will not be Hungarian if neither of you is Hungarian.