American with limited funds

Hi guys and gals:
I am a semi retired writer looking for a quiet, inexpensive but safe place to park myself.
A place with friendly people, where I could find a part time job to supplement savings while I work in my novel.

I would prefer a stay in the Americas, since I speak Spanish and dont eant to be too far from home and family.

Any suggestions?

Hello Charles come to Georgia Tbilisi.the best place

marina-kirvalidze wrote:

... come to Georgia Tbilisi.

The OP asked for a country in the Americas, not Europe.

Charlie60 wrote:

I am a semi retired writer looking for a quiet, inexpensive but safe place to park myself. A place with friendly people, where I could find a part time job to supplement savings while I work in my novel.

I would prefer a stay in the Americas, since I speak Spanish and don't want to be too far from home and family. Any suggestions?

You're spoilt for choice, Charlie. At least a dozen Caribbean islands would suit you, and several countries in Central America - and, naturally, dozens of places in those several countries. We had our eyes on Lake Chapala in Mexico and Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, and my wife fancied somewhere in the south of Peru. There are so many, that you'd just have to pick one of the acceptable ones more or less at random, and see how you get on. You don't need to settle permanently in the first place you choose.

We're retired in Grand Cayman, prepared to move when/if this place gets too expensive. We're pushing eighty, both of us, so we wouldn't dream of buying a house in our chosen bolt-hole. There are other factors that we need to consider but you don't. (Our grandchildren live in Norway, for one!)

Give us more of an idea of the kind of place you're looking for, and the most you'd want your annual expenses to be.

Hey Gordon thanks for the reply.
Ok plans so far:
Cruise down from Florida to Chile.
Fly to destination.
Approx funds to start, approx $15k
Am looking for quiet but pretty, good all around weather, friendly towards foreigners, and no hassle visas.
I lived and travelled the Caribbean and some of central America, but islands tend to be expensive in that almost everything has to be imported.
Costs Rica, San Jose it's expensive you need at bare minimum a 1000. , monthly budget.
Atlitan, (i forget the name of the town)
Is it 10 yrs ago gorgeous, but I don't know the cost of living, should be low.
I know people in Peru, Ecuador,& Argentina
But according to research so far Uruguay fits my bill best, however is far.
Have u heard anything about Cuenca in Ecuador?

Let's keep in touch, and thanks again.
WOW Norway! Wouldn't a European country work best for u guys?

I love Europe so much basing on their history I had in high school. I would love to be in any of the European countries

Charlie60 wrote:

Hey Gordon thanks for the reply. Ok plans so far:
Cruise down from Florida to Chile. Fly to destination.
Approx funds to start, approx $15k
Am looking for quiet but pretty, good all around weather, friendly towards foreigners, and no hassle visas.
I lived and travelled the Caribbean and some of central America, but islands tend to be expensive in that almost everything has to be imported.
Costa Rica, San Jose it's expensive you need at bare minimum a 1000. , monthly budget.
Atlitan, (i forget the name of the town)  it's Panajachel
Is it 10 yrs ago gorgeous, but I don't know the cost of living, should be low.
I know people in Peru, Ecuador,& Argentina
But according to research so far Uruguay fits my bill best, however is far.
Have u heard anything about Cuenca in Ecuador?

Charlie, Uruguay and Chile would be your best bet, from all I've read. But you probably read the same kind of articles that I read - International Living and such. For us, those places would be too far away. My wife was in Cuenca once - fifteen years ago when our son was living there as a hippie. We have both been to places in Mexico and Guatemala in more recent times, when he was living there as a hippie. (He and his menagerie lived in a tree-house outside San Marcos, Atitlan, that the local Indians built for him.)
https://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2013 … inson.html
We'd be far too old for that sort of caper - and you might, too!) Would you really want to live in a city? They're usually expensive. Even Panajachel, where they had special prices for gringos who were looking to rent.

Panama is off our list, since my wife's visits there.

Much depends on air-fares, doesn't it? Have you checked them out at all?

Well i don't know anything about those countries but as it's in here The Gambia in west Africa not expensive in town city or village an some places of rent are cool too

Air fares not yet, as final destination is up in the air.
Will cruise down to Chile, fly to Uruguay, hope not to crash in the Andes. Since am a heavyset guy, I'd first in the menu.  (joking)
Will stay a couple of weeks in Montevideo, and then hop to Ecuador.
What can u guys tell me about the altitude. 7 to 8 thousand feet over sea level sound like a lot, specially since am from Florida.
Banking is another concern, I don't want to travel with too much cash.  Any suggestions?
I heard Citibank and Santander banks are international?

Charlie60 wrote:

Banking is another concern, I don't want to travel with too much cash.  Any suggestions? I heard Citibank and Santander banks are international?

I don't think it matters what banks do or don't exist where you are, it's what debit cards are honoured. In Norway I have gotten cash from ATMs with my MasterCard and Visa, as long as they're not the signature-required types. Also for purchases at shops and travel agents etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_car … rd_systems

Yes that very good of doing that, in here too you can use Visa card an other cards as well . Too many tourists come here some live here because they busy place to start so they use it

Charlie60 wrote:

Banking is another concern, I don't want to travel with too much cash.  Any suggestions?
I heard Citibank and Santander banks are international?

The absolute best bank for American expats is Charles Schwab.  It's not an international bank as it doesn't have worldwide locations, but its international reach is unambiguously unbeatable.  With direct deposit (no minimum balance is needed and no investment is required), you don't have to pay monthly service charge, and you can withdraw any local currency at any ATM in any country in the world without paying any fees:  Schwab reimburses them all after each transaction.  Daily limit on ATM withdrawal is $1000 automatically, or $2000 per request.

If you use Schwab Visa/Debit card for purchase, foreign transaction fee is also reimbursed.  If you need to use wire transfer, Schwab charges $25 flat fee (no matter the amount.)

We've been using Schwab cards for 20+ years in 60+ countries and have yet to pay a fee.  Not ATM fee, not foreign transaction fee.  None whatsoever.

Thanks I thought  as much just wanted to be sure. Previous trips I took cash but this trip is longer and did want to walk around with wads of cash.
By the way have you thought about Salvador?
Never been there myself but I hear is nice.

Charlie60 wrote:

Thanks I thought  as much just wanted to be sure. Previous trips I took cash but this trip is longer and did want to walk around with wads of cash.
By the way have you thought about Salvador?
Never been there myself but I hear is nice.

I think of El Salvador every time I hear or read about "M S 13"! I was there fifty years ago, but wasn't impressed.

What is MS 13?

A famous brutal gang, Trump started to deport them massively, even their government hunts them down and executes them without trial. You can find videos on them online.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR