Sending and receiving packages in Bahrain

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Bahrain?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Bahrain?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

can I have ur whatsapp number to know more

Priscilla is a moderator who has posted this thread to enable people to share their experiences.   The same thread has been posted across many global forums.   She is not offering or sharing information herself.   If you have something to share, post here.

hello everyone,

I have not sent anything from Bahrain to India, But i have received parcels from India.
All the times on regular India-post / Bahrain-Post.

Sending regular couriers from India-post / Bahrain-Post

Items included gifts in clothes, mementos etc. Weighing about 1kg to max upto 3kg.
They were sent in normal Air-Mail/Registered Mail at very nominal rates. Of-course they depend on the weightage and kind of items packed.
Price in the range of 250INR to 700INR (1.5BHD - 3.5BHD).

Usually delivered within 15 Days from the sent. If there are any holidays in between, the delivery will be delayed for 2-4 days.

There is a option to track the parcel also. Though the tracking is not very accurate and sometimes not updated on time. 

Sending MEDICAL SUPPLIES from India-post / Bahrain-Post

This is the tricky part. There are always issues with sending medicines in larger quantity.
I am in Bahrain for over 8 months now. Few months ago, i was diagnosed with a kind of epilepsy. And since the neurologist appointment in salmaniya was set for 6 months after the date of my 1st Seizure, i decided to go to India and get it checked and treated.

When coming back to Bahrain i carried a limited supply as to not get into any immigration issues with the medicines. Even though i had all the documents of my treatment, prescription etc; i dint want the risk of anything going here and there because i was new to this country then, and it was my first job.

As my supplies was getting over, i thought of getting them sent again from India. The only options that looked positive to me was India post/Bahrain post &  privates like DHL & Aramax to carry medicines.

But in order to get supplies in larger quantities they require proper documents that include, doctors letter, doctors prescription, medical bill and a letter from central/state drug control department.

DHL also needs the same, in addition to a NOC from NHRA. Also the privates are expensive. They charge aground 8000INR (around 45BHD) for 1kg medical supplies, out of which the packaging itself will be around 200gms.

India Post / Bahrain Post has a option with lesser documentation. However the only catch is the medicines do no exceed 200gms. The charge for the same is 1200INR (Roughly 6BHD). This option is hassle free in terms of documents. They only require a customs clearance form to be filled, a doctors certificate, Prescription and the medical bill.

The problem i faced with having tablets sent on post to me is, about 25% of my supplies were damaged. Probably because of the poor handling of the parcel.

Hi All!
I have experience of sending and receiving the parcels to/from Ukraine by regular post. It was rather fast, within 5 b/days both directions, cost effective in comparison to private shipping services or excess luggage during the flight.
I got my parcel delivered to the door, and dropped off my package to Ukraine at the post office Muharraq. No taxes paid as there was no need.

What I would advise while shipping your parcel:
1. check the list of prohibited items for shipment first, e.g. battery, liquid;
2. bring your parcel open to the post office in case they decide to check it before the accepting;
3. bring your packing tape to close the box, highlighter to write the address on the box if needed with you (I had to buy the packing tape as post office does not provide one);
4. keep the receipt until parcel is received (this is obvious).

Shipment can be tracked on the web-site of Bahrain Post Services (link is below):

https://services.bahrain.bh/wps/portal/ … IS9nQSEh/#

Good luck to everyone!  :)

I have experience of sending the document by Aramex. Yes, it was expensive but reliable. Very fast and secure. But about Bahrain Post, I have no idea.

Privates are reliable and quicker. But they are expensive.