Germany Tax Increase

Hello Guys,

I moved to Germany in August 2017. I am working with a firm to help file my taxes and I have been told that I will need to pay a sum of money (extra taxes) because of the salary income I had earned before moving to Germany in 2017 (in Dubai). They called this "progression clause". I have of course asked for a clarification but I wanted to see if anyone is aware of that? They said the salary I earned that year before moving to Germany has to be considered to determine my tax rate in Germany, is this possible?

Your tax adviser is correct!
As everything in German tax law, the matter is complicated and confusing:
1. You pay tax only on income earned since you moved to Germany. Your prior income in 2017 from Dubai is tax-free here.
2. But the tax rate applicable to your local income depends on your world income for the entire year, which includes your Dubai income. Higher income results in a higher tax rate (percentage), which then is applied only to your German income.
3. Since your employer of course couldn't know this when deducting estimated tax dues from your German income, they only deducted an amount based on the assumption that this is your only income.
4. Thus the difference has to be paid by you now.

Not only in Germany, it's quite common across the EU to be assessed in the country where you are deemed resident, on your worldwide income; these assessments will be for the whole tax year relevant to the date you arrive in the new country.  Many countries have double taxation agreements with others, these tend to lessen the impact on income tax.  However, some will also include social taxes in this assessment, these taxes are not covered by the double taxation agreements.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Not only in Germany, it's quite common across the EU to be assessed in the country where you are deemed resident, on your worldwide income; these assessments will be for the whole tax year relevant to the date you arrive in the new country.  Many countries have double taxation agreements with others, these tend to lessen the impact on income tax.  However, some will also include social taxes in this assessment, these taxes are not covered by the double taxation agreements.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Beppi gave a good explanation of the situation, that the amount of money one earned elsewhere during the year is needed to calculate what one owes in Germany BUT one will not actually pay tax for a time period they did not yet live in Germany - and thus get doubled taxed. Cynic writes that social taxes are not protected from double taxation - NOT true for most countries. As an American citizen, for example, I have to file tax returns to both Germany where I live and America. Income tax is avoided to be doubled tax by the Americans through foreign income exclusions or tax credits.

There is a possibility to be doubled taxed on income if I would say go back to America for part of the year and earn money there. Or if I was a very high earner and relied on tax credits to limit my American tax liability and lived in a country where the tax rates were very low. Then I would generally have to pay the difference to America for their rate minus what I pay to my country of residense. But most countries do not tax their citizens if they live abroad and are taxed elsewhere anyway.

As far as social taxes, go I get exempt from owing anything to America as I am covered under the German system. This is called a totalization agreement and Germany has this with many countries. I need to get a yearly statement from the office in Berlin that shows I am in the German social system and file this with my American tax returns.