Repeated 6-month business visas?

(REPOSTED AS MY ORIGINAL POST WAS HIJACKED!)

I'm a newbie, but coming to retire in Vietnam soon and  have been scanning these forums for months. I can't find any references to my question - sorry if I've missed it.

Whats the official attitude to using end-to-end 6-month business visas as a way of staying in Vietnam? (UK passport.)

As far as I can see there's no need to have (or to apply for) a work permit or to have an (official) employer's letter to get this visa - am I correct? (And I won't need to work anyway as I'll be on a pension.)

Although it's more expensive than getting ongoing 3-month tourist visas, the costs are offset (for me anyway as I'll be staying in Nha Trang) by the added costs of going first to  HCM City and then on to Cambodia four times a year.

Do people do this? Is it viable?

Or is it something that it immigration people would frown on after a couple of 6-month business visas?

thanks in advance.

ps - I realise that at the moment these visas are not being issued - I'm assuming they will return again soon.

Anybody out there??

For the most part, expats living in VN are on long-term visas (one-year) without any problems. There are numerous agents who take care of this segment and are happy to answer any questions. You can locate and contact these people on the internet.

Based on my experience of the past 3 and a half years and living in VN previously, yes, you can keep getting visas but these days a border run or leaving the country is occasionally required. If you've been living long-term in Thailand, you are undoubtedly familiar with this type of procedure. Again, the best thing to do whether you are in-country or not is to contact an agent if you are interested in a long-term visa. They regularly advertise on various expats in (HCMC, HN, Da Nang, etc.) pages on facebook, where you can also read some comments/recommendations.

As mentioned on your other thread, temporary residency/visa exemption of more than one year are also possible.