Need Surgery? Skip India, go Elsewhere!

I needed some surgery (I am an American expat living in Vietnam) and made the mistake of choosing India over Malaysia or Thailand. The doctor in India was well qualified, so I chose to go there. The doctor's staff told me they would handle the visa to go to India. Well, they "forgot" as I found out several days before my flight. No problem, I paid for 5-hour service. But the Indian govt was taking forever to issue the visa, and finally did 3 hours before my flight! $400 for canceled flights, and to add insult to injury the Indian govt won't refund my $100 for the visa as they said they did deliver one. Be smart - choose Thailand or Malaysia instead. India isn't ready for prime time at all.

Another country to consider is South Korea. They are top notch over there! Even for medical, their facilities are modern.

Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines are popular, but a lot is down to what surgery is needed most Asian countries are geared towards plastic/ cosmetic tourist surgery rather than medical
Most expats whom I know (but not all) go to home country for most medical assistance, and use insurance for all other none serious needs