Looking for Work Visa / Residency.HELP!

Hi - my name is Sabrina. I live in NYC and i am thinking in moving to Portugal. I have spoken to a lawyer and was told the best route for a Visa was to apply as a independent professional. And after approved i can apply for residency.
The lawyer's fee is going to be 7,000 Euros. It seems really high. Do i need a lawyer to apply?
Anyone has any info that could help me?

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

Have you looked online for work? If you can find work online then your employer will deal with the visa,permit paperwork.
Go to "Discover" at the top of this page and open the Portugal Guide for information abut visas, work, etc.
I would not consider paying such a large fee.

Thank you for your response.
I work with sales and I already have a few American Companies interested I having me represent their products in Europe. I would rather be an independent professional. I think the salaries in Portugal are very low. And for an employer to sponsor my visa they have to proof there is no one local that can do my job.
I will take a look anyways.

8000 euros seemed pretty high for lawyer fees.

The best route is do request the visa as an independent professional and not as employee (as do companies have to prove to the state why there is no one PT who can do your job).