Tips or advice on moving to mexico

Hello everyone,

I've lived all over the US, currently living in Henderson, NV and planning to move to Mexico next year. I'm a single woman in her 60's. I'm currently looking for a house in Ensenada or anyplace between there and Rosarito Beach. I'm currently learning Spanish on Duolingo but have some knowledge of the language since I grew up in Southern California. If anyone would like to give me tips or advice on making this move, I would appreciate it.

grasshopper51 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've lived all over the US, currently living in Henderson, NV and planning to move to Mexico next year. I'm a single woman in her 60's. I'm currently looking for a house in Ensenada or anyplace between there and Rosarito Beach. I'm currently learning Spanish on Duolingo but have some knowledge of the language since I grew up in Southern California. If anyone would like to give me tips or advice on making this move, I would appreciate it.

I would suggest you visit and get an idea where you want to be, not just get a house. Many of us increase our flexibility by renting not buying, so you might want to think about that.

I intend to rent first to ensure I like the area I've chosen. I made a trip in late October and spent a week in San Felipe and Ensenada. Since then I've scratched San Felipe from my list as it is too isolated for my choice. But, I did like Ensenada and the areas south and north of it. I have family in Southern California and like the idea of easily going to visit. But thanks for the suggestion.

grasshopper51 wrote:

I intend to rent first to ensure I like the area I've chosen. I made a trip in late October and spent a week in San Felipe and Ensenada. Since then I've scratched San Felipe from my list as it is too isolated for my choice. But, I did like Ensenada and the areas south and north of it. I have family in Southern California and like the idea of easily going to visit. But thanks for the suggestion.

A number of people who feel like you do have chosen Rosarito near TJ, so you might add it to your list.
Buena Suerte

It is on my list but thank you.

Hello everyone,

A new thread has been initiated with these posts on the Mexico forum for a better interaction.

@grasshopper51, we would be glad to hear about your reasons of moving there, are you all set up already?

Does anyone have any tips before moving to Mexico?

Happy to hear from you all  :D

Alexia
Expat.com Team

Sounds like you are familiar with the area. I would now start looking for places to live and then try it out. As you will be renting you can always change your neighborhood.
Many places you rent will request that you have an "Aval" That is a co-signer that has property in Mexico. I don't know what most people are doing about that.

Why am I moving to Mexico? I lived in Guam with my parents and graduated from high school there. Since then I've lived in multiple states in the US but have always had a thirst for travel. The more I traveled the more I wanted to go and learn about new cultures. My last big trip was to Thailand and South Korea. I've thought of moving to another country for about ten years. My first choice was Panama and I made contacts there and had bought an airline ticket when during my research I learned that Panama had just entered into an agreement with China where they were going to provide infrastructure and loans to the country. Believing that China's presence was going to change the country, I started researching other options and ended up at Mexico. I've made an exploratory trip and pretty much chosen where I want to start my adventure. I have an entire household of goods that I will either sell or store until I know for sure that I'm going to stay. I am a writer and photographer and may look into travel writing but for sure, I just want to learn about my new home, it's people and enjoy life!

I guess I should mention that one of the factors has also been a lower cost of living. I'm on a fixed income and want to live my life without financial struggles. Having been on SS for two years, I've found that I've dipped deeply into my savings just to live. I want to be able to live comfortably and travel.

So far, my biggest frustration has been finding a long-term rental. Many of the places I liked in Ensenada were also for sale, so that I could be given notice to leave at anytime. I would like a year's lease to give myself time to learn about my home as well as look at other areas.

If anyone has any tips, ideas or suggestions  they will be greatly appreciated.

Hello dear,

You have taken the correct decision. Mexico is one of the beautiful countries all around the world.

But there are few things which you need to consider. To know more about the ‘dos' and don'ts', you must keep reading on.

Some Dos While Buying a Property in the Place

•    Getting expert help – Working with a reputable real estate agency is a must when you are considering buying a property in Puerto Vallarta. The reliable buyer's agent might assist you through the varying range of services. They will help you get to know about the neighborhood. Also, they will also help you with the financing options which are made available to you. You can try out buying real estate in Puerto Vallarta.

•    Closing the Deal – For closing the deal property, you will have to make sure that all official paperwork is done. In addition, you'll also have to close the deal with the required closing fees. As a matter of fact, the procedure of transferring ownership to the buyer and the total amount of transaction will entirely depend on the purchasing price. You can also get in touch with the Buying real estate in Puerto Vallarta by viacapitalepv.com to know more about this procedure.

•    You must take care of odds and ends – Purchasing a property would require completing the load of paperwork and going through them, one by one. As a matter of fact, there are multiple foreign investors who get relocation assistance facilities in order to ease the transition of shifting to a new house.

Some Don'ts While Purchasing a Property in the Place

•    Don't give your original paper documents to agents – What you can do is, make photocopies of the documents that you have in order to buy a property in the place. Giving them the original documents wouldn't be a safe bet. As a matter of fact, if you give them the original documents, then chances are high that you might misplace the documents.

•    You must not hurry with your decision – As a matter of fact, you must never hurry with your decision. You must choose the property carefully and check all the paper documents beforehand.

read my blog. just sent in