Recent graduate maybe moving to Singapore with SGD2500 salary

Hey All,

I got an offer from a company in Singapore for a job with SG2500 salary.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any input on how I would get along?

I heard Singapore is quite an expensive country,and I'm worried I will struggle financially, as I would like to put in quite a bit into rent SGD 1200 approx. This leaves me with 1000 a month to live on. Is this enough? I would love to live in a condo, but I'm guessing I will have to start with an HDB ?

What parts of town would you recommend? I'm a mid 20s female, and would like to live in an animated part of town.

Any advice on how I should tackle finding a place? Ie, sorting it out before I arrive, or find an airbnb/hotel then look for a more permanent rent while I'm there? Ive found groups on Facebookthat offer room rentals, do you think this is a safe option ?

My SPass is currently being processed (cross your fingers for me!), and another thing I was wondering is if I would be able to get a second small job, just for some extra $$$? - I know in some countries there can be some work hour limitations with certain work permits.

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

We have provided plenty of information pertaining to all your queries in the category “Accommodation”. You can search or visit the below link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/202-7-accom … apore.html

In short, Airbnb is banned here. Hotels are very expensive. Hostels are ok, but rented rooms are widely used by expats.

Salary $2.5k is at very low side, you will find difficult to survive.

A foreigner with work pass can't take second work including freelance job, it's illegal.

Good luck.

Thank you for your input, what I have seen is there are a few posts from 2/3 months ago and several from 1+ years ago. i find this to be outdated.

Thanks for the info you provided me.

Not an expert here but as far as MOM concern, once one(foreigner) is registered under a company or work for, he or she is strongly restricted from engaging any other kind work. In Singapore, rules are clear and punishments are harsh.

So basically I need to make that 2500 sgd work somehow.

Yes, if you come on an S-Pass with S$2500/month salary (which is quite low), then you have to survive on that.
Your only option then is a sublet (HDB) room in a cheaper area in the suburbs - forget about the "animated part of town"!
You can realistically only start your accommodation search after arrival, so arrange a temporary place (e.g. hostel) first.
To save on expenses, make sure the place you rent allows you to cook, has nearby shopping options (supermarket, wet market) and the commute to work is bearable. And once you have settled, avoid any expensive activity like alcohol, smoking, entertainment, travel.
Good luck!

Hi Razberri,

I've interned in Singapore for 7 months with only SG1500/month. My rent was SG750 (condominium) & of course, I ate mostly at hawkers but never felt like I couldn't survive. I was also able to afford going out on the weekend with friends. Albeit I think as a precaution, it would be a good idea to have three months worth of expenses saved before settling in Singapore. At the end of the day, it's really about how much you're spending on food/hobbies. I am also interested in applying for a full-time in Singapore - may I ask what is your line of work?

Edit: To answer some of your questions, I've had good experiences finding affordable rooms in Hougang/Serangoon & Chinatown/Outram area where the kitchen area/toilets are shared with housemates. You can actually rent short-term via Airbnb & then transition into long-term housing. For example, I stayed at HDB in Hougang for 3 weeks before moving to a condominium in Serangoon.

Best,
Chris

Please note that AirBnB and similar arrangements for short-term letting of residential property are illegal in Singapore and thus cannot be recommended. As the above poster did!

That's actually inaccurate. Airbnb in Singapore has a minimum duration (have to be at least 6 months for HDBs and 3 months for private residential properties). When I stayed at an HDB at the time, the rules were less stringent, but yes, read up on the laws!

Thanks for the correction: You are right, for lease periods above the minimum of 6 and 3 months, AirBnB is legal in Singapore - just shorter durations are generally not allowed.

6 months for HDBs and 3 months for private houses are not called AirBnB model. These are typical house rental regulations set up by HDB and Govts. This has been there since ages where you must have to submit work pass FIN number and copy of the card (later date). You can post your rental ad in AirBnB, it's not an issue (similar to Gumtree ad).

But, yes illegally people are violating the rules and getting penalised heavily. There are many such cases surfaced in recent months.

Note: AirBnB concept is that a foreigner can go and stay in overseas rental houses from one day to much longer period without required of the work pass or residential permits. This is not what in above concept in Singapore.