Driving from canada to belize

Hi there, I am planning on driving from nova Scotia to Corozal Belize. I am wondering if anyone knows what  have to do to bring my car to Belize?

Just brought my car in from Alberta one month ago. Are you bringing your car in to stay or just for a vacation?
First of all, to go through Mexico, you need to get Mexican insurance before you get to the Mexican border. Check out https://www.sanborns.com/mexican_consulates_in_texas/ for info about driving through Mexico. You will need your Canadian registration, and know what kind of Canadian insurance you have as the Mexican insurance is an add-on.
You have to register your car (as well as yourself) at the Mexican border as tourists. You will have to pay a $400 US bond on the car at that time too (as insurance that the car will leave Mexico). You will get that back when you go through the border on the other side.
If you have any kind of "status" in Belize (ie, residency or QRP), you will need to have "proof" that you will be taking the car our of the country within the allotted time or you will be required to pay duty and taxes on it.  It is best if you have your original bill of sale for the car if you paid less than the blue book rate for it. The customs agent will look at the bill of sale if you have one; otherwise he will look at his blue book and that could be costly. Also, make sure you enter the Belize border early in the morning (7:30 to 8:00 am)! You will get a "broker" at the border and he will take you from customs agent to customs agent (each time the duty will be less), until you reach an amount you can live with. If you arrive late, you will have to either pay the high price, or stay overnight and start negotiations again the next morning. (That is what happened to me.) You can pay the fees (duty, GST, Environmental tax, etc.) by credit card of cash - but be prepared to pay the customs agent in cash for lowering the duty for you (cost me $1200BZ cash) and the porters for "helping" you (even if it is just following you around!) Lastly, you need to get Belize insurance - the insurance office is just outside the border gates. Your porter will take you there to ensure you get your insurance.
All-in-all, quite simple, but costly.

Hope this helps you.

MariLynne

So, if you don't "have status" in Belize, there is no worries about the whole customs thing for your vehicle?