My partner is working there now and wants me to join him

Hi, my name is Fiona & I'm very excited to be visiting Mauritius soon with an eye to moving there. My partner is working there now and wants me to join him as soon as possible. I will be looking for work, have one or two contacts who live there who may help me out in that regard. Would it be easier to get in (once I've secured a work visa) once we are married? Should we gert married there? I have so many questions! Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi,

Getting married first will definitely help as you will be able to come and live in Mauritius as a dependent to your husband. If you do find a job, then you can ultimately apply for a separate Occupation Permit.

Thanks for the reply, will have to work on that then!

Hi Fiona. Hmmm so many questions :)

Okay you need to say if your partner is a Mauritian or not. If he is then no worries, once you get married, you immediately get residence and you can work.

Now, if he is not then that is totally different. To get in, you will need to apply for your work-permit. By you I mean your future employer. The length of work-permits vary from 4 to 8 years depending on the work sector you are in (tourism, health, construction, education, etc.).

I was a foreigner when I first arrived in Mauritius in 1986. I am married to a Mauritian wife and hence got naturalized and got my Mauritian citizenship.

I am not an expert in this immigration, but yes I can answer many questions :)

Feel free to ask!

Jude
WhatsApp: ***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you everyone for the input! Much appreciated. My partner is South African as am I so it seems things will indeed be more complicated, especially as I'm a freelancer.

Hi, i would like to know what is your freelancing specialities.
Or can we get in touch thru my mail XXX

Moderated by Julien 5 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@dritesh

Welcome to the forum

For security reasons please do not post any contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system for this.