Business Visa Blocked, Unable to Leave Saudi.

I am a US citizen and have a five year business visa which I am in the process of changing to another business visa by a new company. Today I wanted to go to Bahrain but was turned away at the border and told to go back. The immigration said that there was a block on my visa put by the previous employer

Here are the events that led up to it.

1) I worked for a contractor and then was laid off in May of this year. The contractor had issued me a five year business visa in 2017.
2) The contractor called me again in July but I was not available for work because of family commitments. They did not call me again. I asked them if they had a job for Sept. and they said no.
3) I got another offer online while in the USA, and the new employer ( employer 2) sent my passport to the KSA Embassy for a new business visa. The Embassy said that I did not need one as I already had a valid five year one ( from Employer 1)
4) Arrived in the Kingdom on the old visa with no problems. Began working but Employer 2 did not like my way of teaching. He told me he did not want me to work for them.
5) I got yet another offer from yet another company ( Employer 3) and these said they would start processing me for a new visa and send me to Bahrain soon to get it.

They were still working on it, and I decided to spend a weekend in Bahrain ( unrelated to the visa). This is when I was stopped at the border and turned back. The immigration said that my visa had a block on it. Employer 1 put a block on it.

I can't leave the country.

I need advice and/ or anecdotes of how people have overcome similar situations.

No sermonizing/ preaching/gloating, please. Just anything to help me with solution.

Look, basically, you only have a few ways:

1) Speak to employer 1 and ask him to cancel the old visa.  Or remove the block so that you can leave and get it cancelled - and then apply for a new one in Bahrain
2) Essentially, you are working illegally.  You are not supposed to work on this type of visa.  If all else fails, go into MOI and report this i.e. you are working illegally.  They will cancel the visa and deport you.  Future visas might be a problem of course

Thank you? Will there be a fine to pay if I go to MOI?

Yes. I don't remember exact amount but its on their site under violations - working on visit visas. Think its 3-5000 sar.

Thanks.  Do you know of anyone who has gone thru the same process?

Yes I do.  It was a few years ago.  He paid the fines and then they deported him - practically, he just bought a ticket and left; they didn't detain him or anything.  However, he was not able to enter the kingdom for 2 years after that.

Was his case similar to mine? I mean his sponsor had his business visa blocked? And then did the cancellation of the visa on part of MOI nullified the block?

Yes.   MOI can always cancel the visa. If the sponsor puts the block when you are in the Kingdom, you can't leave.  If he blocks when outside, you can't enter.  You were just unlucky that you were in the Kingdom.

10 lashes, 3 months in jail, 10,000 SAR and deported if you're lucky...get someone to bring you food when you're locked up ...

Just joking...no biggie, good luck

If the contractor laid you off they should have cancelled your visa. As advised, the simplest solution is to get them to cancel it and arrange for your departure.

You haven't said why they would put a travel ban on you... were there any issues you haven't mentioned?

I would suggest you contact the company who sponsored visa to get the block removed and get it canceled properly so you can leave without fine. Do not mention you were working that will lead to more complication like working illegally.

Thank you for all your answers ladies and gents.

So, to confirm, afauk, and as I understand, MOI cancels the visa regardless of it having blocks or not. Am I correct?

And I pay the fine and leave. If this is the deal, this is all I want to know basically.

To reply to others' questions, on how this came about,  my old sponsor did not cancel my visa, probably because they were still holding me on standby.

I got a new job offer. The Embassy in DC said the visa was valid. I came on this visa, did not pass the probationary period but was called by yet another company with a job in Dammam. I accepted, and this is when the sponsor found out I was in the KSA and blocked me.

And of course I contacted the old sponsor to have them cancel the block. Common sense, no. But they refuse to talk to me. They are not answering emails, either.

The sponsor apparently got mad and is not talking, not taking my calls. Not asking for money.  Totally incommunicado.

This is what scares me.

Because I know nothing about such things, I am very stressed and you are relieving some of the stress. Thank you.

Also, the block is 40 days. Can they just keep renewing them? Because I have heard of such cases.

And what happens after the six month visit is over ( I need to leave every 6 months). They say the fine is SR 30,000.

Any information based on prior anecdotes, knowledge of events, laws, etc. will be appreciated.

As they say, thank you, Cap'n Obvious!  :) Of course I have contacted them numerous times. Not cooperating at all.

MOI can cancel it but be clear - you will admit to breaking the law i.e. working on a visit visa.  That is why they will and can cancel the visa and DEPORT you.   This means that you might not be able to enter Saudi in the future.

Hi,

I need some information,

How to cancel sponsored business visa?

Can I cancel it while exiting the country without company acceptance?

You can't cancel.  Sponsor has to cancel.

@XTang can you please guide. I have business visa and i want to cancel it. Now my visa was granted from dubai now saudi embasyy in Pakistan is saying cancel your visa from dubai to get stamped for new work visa. I checked with VFS global dubai they said they can not cancel visa. Is there any way that i travel to saudi and do visa cancel there. Or my ex sponsor of business visa have right to do it online?

Your ex sponsor is the only one who can cancel the visa.

@XTang hi xtang thanks. My visa is business visa not work visa and any per my understanding business visa is visit visa do still sponsor have authority to cancel it.

I understood your visa type from the beginning. This is a business visit visa that was SPONSORED by a company. YOU, as an individual, cannot cancel it as you didn't apply for it (they applied for it and acted as a guarantor). Therefore, only the company/sponsor can proceed to cancel it.  And in most cases, the visa cannot be cancelled at all.

However, this is not an issue as you CAN apply for a proper work visa while having a business visit visa.........once the work visa is stamped and you enter on it, the business visit visa gets cancelled.  I am not sure why the Saudi Embassy is making an issue about this. I had a business visa which was valid for a year when I applied for a work visa for Saudi, from Saudi Embassy Bahrain..........and the work visa was stamped.

@XTang Thanks for the feedback. My work visa is from Pakistan and Saudi embassy in Pakistan is saying to cancel the visa from where i got it. I got this visa from UAE as i was working in UAE and my sponsor have company registered in both UAE and KSA. So KSA company given me invitation letter to get visa from UAE VFS tahseel office. Now even i contacted VFS tahseel and they are saying that they can only proceed if i apply for new visa from them which is not possible as my work visa is issued to Saudi embassy Pakistan.

Now i a planning to travel to Saudi on this visa then request my ex employer to cancel my visa there. Please guide me is it a right decision for me. Otherwise i am unable to get any help from anywhere else. Thanks for your guidance

Yes you have to ask them to cancel it or wait for it to expire.