Public Health Care in Mosta

Hi eveyone!

I'm Alicia, I come from Spain and I'm new in the community. Nice to meet you all :)

I would like to know which procedure I should follow to get public health care in Malta. In particular, my corresponding clinic is the Mosta Health Care Centre.

I will tell you my situation. One week after I moved to Malta, I had to go to the Health Centre, but I didn't have a job yet, so I used my EHIC.

Later on, when I got a job and I registered in the social security system, I sent an email to the official customer care of Malta health system asking what I should do to get health care now that I can't use my Spanish EHIC more. They told me I had to take my last payslip to the health centre, so the next time I went to the  Mosta Health Centre I brought the photocopy.

When I arrived I explained that I had brought the payslip as proof. They didn't took it and instead they asked me my name and gave me the same paper I got when I used the EHIC (a sticker with my name and address). I asked if they didn't need the payslip and aswered that they didn't.

I am confused and I would like to make sure that I don't have to do any management or go to other place to get a Health Card or something. Any of you that already did it could told me what you did?  I prefer to ask here because I was misinformed about other things in that health centre before... :/

Thank you in advance! :)

Alicia

Aliciasasu wrote:

Hi eveyone!

I'm Alicia, I come from Spain and I'm new in the community. Nice to meet you all :)

I would like to know which procedure I should follow to get public health care in Malta. In particular, my corresponding clinic is the Mosta Health Care Centre.

I will tell you my situation. One week after I moved to Malta, I had to go to the Health Centre, but I didn't have a job yet, so I used my EHIC.

Later on, when I got a job and I registered in the social security system, I sent an email to the official customer care of Malta health system asking what I should do to get health care now that I can't use my Spanish EHIC more. They told me I had to take my last payslip to the health centre, so the next time I went to the  Mosta Health Centre I brought the photocopy.

When I arrived I explained that I had brought the payslip as proof. They didn't took it and instead they asked me my name and gave me the same paper I got when I used the EHIC (a sticker with my name and address). I asked if they didn't need the payslip and aswered that they didn't.

I am confused and I would like to make sure that I don't have to do any management or go to other place to get a Health Card or something. Any of you that already did it could told me what you did?  I prefer to ask here because I was misinformed about other things in that health centre before... :/

Thank you in advance! :)

Alicia

Do you have a residence card? If so you should also have a certificate of health entitlement which you would have needed to get it.

In Gozo at the hospital you are given a form to take to the billing office where you show your certificate of health cover. (you are not charged)

At the clinic in Victoria you simply show your residence card.

I would have thought if you are employed you would have a Maltese social security number which you could show to prove you are entitled to treatment. (Assuming the job is not 'off the books')