Dating and finding love as an expat in Ireland

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Ireland?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Ireland?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Ireland?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Ireland?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

First apologies for not replying sooner.

I do not carefully check all emails!

I want to give you an example from personal experience.

I had a friend (from Primary and Secondary School in Dublin.)

He lived (lives) in one of the wealthiest parts of the city.
(I didn't even think about it as a child because he was a friend who just lived in a very very big house.  Yes I lived in our own house also near to him but we were not in this wealth category.)

To cut a long story short, his parents died (long after he was an adult) and the property he inherited was shared with his sister.
He got the main property.  His sister was very well provided for and also inherited a property.
We were all adults in our 30s by this time.

He was one of the most eligible (and wealthiest) bachelors (single person) in Dublin at that time and at that age.
He had absolutely no girlfriend - but a property which he let out to tenants.
One observed him very closely and initially thought that he was Gay - because he had few friends and only hung out with myself - when I was in Dublin on holidays.
When she realized he was not Gay she immediately started to make advances.
To cut a long story short they eventually got married - but she had carefully analyzed that he was available, single and rich - and this was what she went for.
he could have been Asian, African, European or Eskimo, she had it all figured out  - and knew that she would inherit everything.
It happens that they have no children so that mean she will inherit everything.

Now she made approached to him a few years after his parents had died - old age.
She knew he was vulnerable.
I knew - as did she - he could not cook, take care of himself, was living almost like a Hermit in an unkept and untidy property (because he never knew how to cook, clean, properly take care of himself) - worth millions of euros.

To me he was a childhood friend.  To her he was a vulnerable asset she could use to both get out of poverty and, hopefully, one day, inherit wealth.
This was a ''business'' decision she took - and executed it like a military operation.

I could see what was going on and her ''game plan'' but could not dissuade him: she could cook, keep a clean house, take care of him - his nutritional and health needs - and most importantly keep him alive - and we all want to live.
He too realized this - and as there was nobody else available she was the only choice.

She had no pride, no scruples, she wanted security and identified him as one who could easily provide it - and worked on it until he asked her to marry him.

(Yes he is still alive and in good health.  I'm not very welcome at the house - been seen as a potential ''threat'' (to her financial security - possibly in his Will - myself and himself having been friends since childhood - long before she came into his life - so I had to be ''removed''.)

What is the point of all of the above you might very well ask?

(I am absolutely convinced that his race, colour, religion, played no part in her decision to go after him -solely what he could provide her with - financial security.)

Conclusion:

You need to decide exactly what you want then go out and get it.

(Hopefully your story might end happier than the one above!)