Please I need your help

My name is Winifred and I am from Nigeria. I am a fluent English speaker.  I have a degree in English Education and also a master degree in English. I would like to explore teaching English abroad especially in Vietnam. Please how do I go about it.... Thanks as I hope to get a reply.

Winnie Fred wrote:

My name is Winifred and I am from Nigeria. I am a fluent English speaker.  I have a degree in English Education and also a master degree in English. I would like to explore teaching English abroad especially in Vietnam. Please how do I go about it.... Thanks as I hope to get a reply.

Sorry, but it's bad news...    Here is the link:

https://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/ … ted-by-...

You sent an empty page?  Page not found... What is it all about... Guess it has been deleted...

Google the link and it will give you the result.

My bad:   The link was not complete.   Here is the missing page...

Thank you for interested in our Vietnam Visa Service. According to Vietnam Immigration Department, all citizens of below countries will apply visa to Vietnam more difficultly than the others. They cannot apply online via any travel agency. The letter of all these services will be declined. So, you have contact to Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam Immigration Department to apply for visa directly. We list some address of Vietnam Immigration Department as below and hope that this will be useful for you:

*** (( Note!   Yes, you can apply, but unless you have special skills or technological expertise, you will find it very difficult to get in.))    - Barry

Vietnam Immigration Departments:

- In Hanoi Capital:

+ Address: No. 44 - 46 Ba Dinh, Hanoi.

+ Telephone: (+84) 4 38257941,  04. 38243288,    Fax: 04 38243287

- In Hochiminh City:

+ Address: No. 254 Nguyen Trai Str, Dist 1, HCMC

+ Telephone: (+84 8) 39201701.

- In Danang City:

+ Address: No. 7 Tran Quy Cap Str, Danang City.

+ Telephone: (+84 511) 3823383.

List of countries cannot be supporting Vietnam visa online.
Algeria    Afghanistan    Nigeria
Pakistan    Bangladesh    Malawi
Tunisia    Guinea - Bissau    Qatar
Trinidad and Tobago    Haiti    Somli
Sudan    Yemen    Jamaica
Rwanda    Iran    Cameroon
Iraq    Saudi Arabia    Jordan
Sri Lanka    Palestine    Turkey
Ghanna    Zimbabwe    Namibia
Nepal    Kenya    Oman

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Irrelevant. This thread is about Vietnam

Oh I see now... Nigerians are not allowed.... Its okay... Would try other countries. Thanks all

Winnie Fred wrote:

Oh I see now... Nigerians are not allowed.... Its okay... Would try other countries. Thanks all

That's not what it says. It only says you are not allowed to apply online. You would need to apply in person or by mail through an embassy.

Since you have a master's degree, you might stand a chance of being approved. At least based on what the quoted information says

There were a group of Nigerians who lived in my apartment building.  One was married to a local women and the rest were apparently single.  They were entrepreneurs who were involved in fashion design and production and had a small "factory" in the neighborhood where they had their designs sewn to send back to Nigeria for sale there.

Despite the general assumption that Africans are unwelcome in Vietnam, they seemed very well assimilated in our neighborhood.  Given your level of education you should be able to get a visa through the embassy in Nigeria, as Ocean Beach suggests.  Once in Vietnam however, you are likely to find initial resistance to securing  ESL employment but you should be able to overcome that as well.

Apply for jobs or visa?

The general pattern is that it is difficult to find ESL employment in Vietnam if applying from abroad.  Even if you are residing in the country, most language centers hire those who walk in the door.  This is probably more than true if you are from a country like Nigeria, that Vietnamese may not perceive as an English speaking country even if in a real sense it is.

The best thing you can do is to take a chance and come to Vietnam and seek employment after arriving.  One rule of thumb is to arrive with 60-90 days of living expenses (and the cost of a return ticket) on hand.  This, not counting the plane ticket, would be $2000-3000 US.  On arrival, given your education and experience you should find work, despite prejudices against Africans.  This may seem like a gamble but it may be the only way.  You can try application by mail, phone, or internet and may be successful.  If so, congratulations as you have beat the odds.

Too bad you cannot apply online but I think you can still give ago IMO. Most Africans are not necessarily super-welcome in many countries, so one has to be a bit more proactive than the rest. The way I would approach it, if I have the means for it would be (looks like what THIGV is also suggesting above):

a) look at job opportunities in Vietnam (google, facebook groups, etc)
b) analyze requirements: from what I see, native-speaker, Degree, TEFL/TESOL/CELTA, some experience a plus, and....often having a passport from a few selected English speaking countries like UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa). But check for yourself
c) Join discussion forum like this and Facebook groups to get more info and balanced opinions
d) Once confident to some degree, apply to a 3 months tourist visa (multiple entry if possible, just in case you decide to go check across the border or something)
e) If granted, ask around if you could secure an interview/some interviews on arrival
f) regardless of e, fly to Vietnam, have coffee with contacts made in c), do interviews if e worked, attend locals meetups if there are, do whatever is feasible in Vietnam job market (door knock, cold calling , etc)
g) have fun: there are lots of things to do in Vietnam, locals are friendly; if everything fails, you will still come home back with tons of experience and fun - obviously this comes back to where I started, money might be a factor.

And speaking of money, I am taking a very simplistic approach, focussing only on the job-search part of the journey, but I know there are logistics considerations to think about.

Thanks for the insight...do you know any country I can apply to....

Winnie Fred wrote:

Apply for jobs or visa?

and...

Winnie Fred wrote:

Thanks for the insight...do you know any country I can apply to....

There is an English idiom that's universally understood: "Don't put the cart in front of the horse"

Your top priority is to find out if you can get approved for a visa, especially since (as has been noted in your unique situation; as a Nigerian citizen) it will be hard-to-impossible to be hired long distance.

So focus on the visa first: The cost of the visa is low compared to the costs of air travel and temporary living expenses for up to 3 months on a tourist visa.

1. Make sure your passport is up to date and valid for a year (continue reading to see why I didn't say "six months"). There may be some expense necessary to accomplish this.

2. Contact:

Vietnam Embassy in Nigeria
Embassy of Vietnam in Abuja, Nigeria
Address: 9 River Niger street, Off Danube street, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria
Phone: +234.9.870.3678     
Email: vnemb.ngATmofa.gov.vn

...to find out how to apply for your visa.

I wasn't able to find a website for the embassy.

Apply for a visa 6 months or more in the future.

IF the visa is approved, THEN get serious with your plans to gather the funds needed to travel here and live while you search for work face-to-face with potential employers.

Without the visa approval, all of the other pre-planning and investigations are just wasted time and energy.

Good luck!

I am happy sir for this information... It's so clear and understandable. I am indeed grateful to you all.. I will do all that...