Solar kits/options

Hey everyone,

can anyone share any info on solar kits?

I plan to build a modest cabin completely off grid.

If its under 1000 square feet what should I expect to pay for a solar powered system?

same with a water catchment system.... supplies should run about 2K?

If anyone has a connect or contact please shoot me a private message. I will be back in Belize in

December.

Solar:
Search this forum for past discussions on the subject.
Google "solar in Belize" and variations for more up to date info.

I don't know this for a fact, but I would expect the import duties to be high as they are on all other technology products brought into Belize. Perhaps even a limiting factor to solar power adoption in country.

Water:
Catchment systems are common in many areas, you should have no problem finding local folks to help with that. Just use common sense in adapting to "Belize methods".   ;)

Phillyman,

SESB (Solar Energy Solutions Belize) and Pro Solar Engineering Ltd., both in Cayo, have a really good reputation and have been in business for a long time. Both have websites with good info on needs and costs.

We are not on municipal/piped water and trucking water in, is very difficult. We built a large enough concrete cistern to get us, once the cistern is filled from the last rains, through the entire dry season.
But there are also many different sized plastic tanks (Rotoplas) available. Farmers Trading, Universal Hardware and Midwest Steel in Spanish Lookout carry them. As do most larger hardware stores throughout Belize.
You can choose regular gutters from the stores, or have seamless gutters installed on site. (Fabricate Horizon in Spanish Lookout). We had our gutters covered with screens and mesh as we are in a heavily treed area, and also used additional screen and mesh for our downspouts.

Pumps in various sizes are widely available, and so are water filtration and/or UV systems.

You should be able to estimate costs pretty closely, once you determine your needs.

Happy planning!

There are now a few solar companies in Belize.  You shouldn't need to import your own  panels/batteries/inverters. Unless yo are an expert in setting up the system yourself.
It is debatable if you would even save money after allowing for shipping and duties, then having to hire labor to install.

Thanks Will.
I will Most likely find my equipment in Belize. I see there are a few companies who carry kits and I learned once I have my deminsions and my needs I can have my kit somewhat customized so I don't have excess power and spend more than I need. I'm on a working man's budget.
Khalid

Thanks Bridgette...
Very helpful!

I hear that Terrific...
Always sharing good info.
Thanks!