Changes with Grab

Hi All,

In the last few weeks I've noticed the Grab app stopped accepting any of my credit cards for payment, and now it appears I need to use an ATM card to load my account.  My current US-based ATM card is evidently not supported.

Is anyone aware of a way to load my account via credit cards, or is an grab-compatible ATM card now the only option?

Using cash is not the end of the world but I greatly preferred the convince of cashless rides.

Thanks!

This would worry be.
What is Grab up to?

So you are saying,  for any rides now,  they want you to use a US bank debit card and not a credit card?

I don't use a debit card for anything. I don't want a vendor withdrawing money directly from my checking account,  ever.

Wxx3 wrote:

I don't use a debit card for anything. I don't want a vendor withdrawing money directly from my checking account,  ever.

Exactly.  While easy enough to contest/reverse bogus charges made to a credit card, no assurance that would be would be the case with the nimrods at my US-based bank.

It can't be a US-based ATM/debit card, anyway:

"You can't link VISA / MC / Amex / JCB debit cards, unless Vietcombank has issued them...As per local regulations, linking a credit card to top up your wallet is not allowed."

I guess Grab was previously skirting "local regulations", which worked fine for me.

At least one is informed of the fare before the ride which somewhat circumvents end-of-ride dong fumbles.

There is a difference between having a payment source and funding the GrabPay option.

It's true, I can no longer use my U.S. Mastercard to fund my GrabPay balance. I also can't seem to access the ₫400,000+ still in the account balance, unless I get a local ATM card. I'm a bit upset by that.

However, my credit card is still listed as a payment source. So I've chosen that for my last two rides (prior to booking) and that works just fine.

BTW, save ₫30,000 until November 4th using promo code DONDUA

You're right, I was able to change payment source and add my credit card again, not sure why I couldn't figure that out before.  Just took a ride this way, Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your unredeemable balance, that's unfortunate.

Goulet wrote:

You're right, I was able to change payment source and add my credit card again, not sure why I couldn't figure that out before.  Just took a ride this way, Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your unredeemable balance, that's unfortunate.

If that's the worst thing that happens to me this week, it's going to be a pretty good week.

FYI, if this link isn't broken, it covers all the FAQ's on the subject, including two ways for me to apply for a refund:

GRAB Update on Payment System

UPDATE:

GRAB refunded me through "ride credits" I was easily able to apply to 6 separate rides.

Wxx3 wrote:

This would worry be.
What is Grab up to?

So you are saying,  for any rides now,  they want you to use a US bank debit card and not a credit card?

Clarifying: No, they have a list of 8 or 10 Vietnamese domestic banks you have to use, in order to fund the "Grab Pay by MOCA" option.

However, instead of using MOCA, you can add a U.S. credit card as a payment option.

After you add the card, and before you book a ride, you change the payment option from "cash" to your added card.

When paying with the old grab pay credits, we sometimes used to receive discounts for the ride (as well as additional reward points - if I'm not mistaken).

The new moca system has similar:

Attractive promotions: Receive more offers and get 3 times GrabRewards points.

Is anyone aware if the same per ride discounts are available with moca? (I'm not talking about applying a discount code - just selecting grab credits use to apply a discount, as opposed to paying by cash).  what about those who cannot register with Moca (because they don't have a local bank ATM card), do they receive discount per ride and 3 times GrabRewards points for paying using local bank debit card (when paying direct by card without Moca**) or foreign bank credit/debit card?

** - I saw that only vietcom bank and scb bank international debit card can be registered with MOCa: https://www.grab.com/vn/en/blog/grab-in … y-by-moca/

sanooku wrote:

When paying with the old grab pay credits, we sometimes used to receive discounts for the ride (as well as additional reward points - if I'm not mistaken).

The new moca system has similar:

Attractive promotions: Receive more offers and get 3 times GrabRewards points.

Is anyone aware if the same per ride discounts are available with moca? (I'm not talking about applying a discount code - just selecting grab credits use to apply a discount, as opposed to paying by cash).  what about those who cannot register with Moca (because they don't have a local bank ATM card), do they receive discount per ride and 3 times GrabRewards points for paying using local bank debit card (when paying direct by card without Moca**) or foreign bank credit/debit card?

** - I saw that only vietcom bank and scb bank international debit card can be registered with MOCa: https://www.grab.com/vn/en/blog/grab-in … y-by-moca/

No