Immigrating to the Netherlands with an arrest record?

Hello everyone. A bit of an embarrassing topic to post, and not sure if anyone can help. Have been trying to find resources online, but couldn't find any.

Here's the situation. I am a man who wants to move to the Netherlands to be with my girlfriend. We want to do the partnership residency. Either we will get married before, or prove that we are in a partnership, whatever needs to be done and is easiest.

Here is what I am worried about. When I was 19, I was arrested for misdemeanor theft. I have no idea how the legal system in the Netherlands works, so this could get confusing. A misdemeanor is the lowest type of trouble you can get into, basically. It's not the same as a felony. Anyway, long story short, my case was dismissed and I was never charged with anything. However, the arrest record is still there. I have the ability to expunge it though, and I plan to.

My question is: will this keep me from immigrating? I was never charged, but I assume if they really want to, they can dig deep and find the arrest record. And even if I get it expunged, I'm also afraid that they will somehow find it, and not allow me to immigrate. I don't know how much they dig into criminal history, or what keeps them from allowing someone entry. Does anyone know anything about this? I can explain more if needed. I just couldn't find any information on this online. I may have to actually speak with a lawyer, but I figured I would try this first.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The short answer to your question is no - if you were never charged, let alone convicted of any offence, it shouldn't do (shouldn't because these type of things are always influenced politically, so the next change of Government may change the rules).  For some offences, individuals are routinely arrested regardless of the circumstances.  As always, be honest if asked the question.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks so much! That's what I was hoping. When I read the residency application, it mentions a few things that you have to answer if you were ever convicted of a crime. From what I understood, if I wasn't convicted, I can truthfull answer “no” to the questions. Thanks again!