Hi y’all

Brand-new newbee, just joined. Thinking about retiring to Vietnam with my Harley.

Currently a CFII/MEI in Austin, Texas. No questions yet, just watching the forum.

Wait, do they have premium fuel in Vietnam? Or Harleys, for that matter?

I will bring all my dive gear.

Al

Hi, and welcome to expat.com
You're likely to have fun importing a motorcycle and other expensive equipment - The local expats will be able to tell you more.

Thanks, Fred. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know just shipping it costs a small fortune.

Oh well, I'll just sell it.

Thanks,
Al

nightmare to ship

lots of harleys here

95 is peremium here. 98 in UK

doubt a harley would need either?? 92 euroron 85% should be fine.

what is a CFII MFEI etc?

sounds kinds like my old role?

District 7 Store
Please come with an open mind about learning new traffic rules.  :huh:

We welcome new blood...   ..to learn the (real?) rules of life...   

(your new mindset begins here...)      :shy

You have a rough idea $USD to ship a Harley?

Are there Harley shops for parts availability?

CFII/MEI means Certified Flight Instructor Instruments, Multi-engine Instructor Instruments

I teach flying

The link in Gobot's post above is the local Harley dealer.  Estimate $2,000 to ship but then taxes and fees to import and you could spend another 50% of the value of the bike.  It also has to be less than 5 years old for cars, not sure if it is the same for bikes.

Hi SteinNebrasca,

Best answer yet. Definitive.

That settles that. I have a 13 Harley Switchback, customized. Can't afford it.

I'll just sell the bike and buy something in-country that runs on cheap fuel.

Thanks for your time for answering this post. Keep in touch.

Regards,
AlTexas

Then I guess I'm going to have to sell my beloved restored 93 Chevy Z71.

Maybe I'll just go to Mexico. Closer.

AlTexas

Bazza139 wrote:

(your new mindset begins here...)

This.
You don't want to bring all your American iron and culture and standards.
Moving to a completely new country can be transformative. I new start.
It takes some time to adjust to that idea, to shedding your stuff without regret.
Think about it for awhile. Read what expats have written on blogs.

I read about a guy in the Philippines, a retired mechanic, he moved all his tools there. At great expense. Never used them!
If you want to hold on to your old life, yeah, you could haul it all down to Baja I guess. I think US culture is a lot closer to Mexican culture, than Asian.

gobot wrote:
Bazza139 wrote:

(your new mindset begins here...)

This.
You don't want to bring all your American iron and culture and standards.
Moving to a completely new country can be transformative. I new start.
It takes some time to adjust to that idea, to shedding your stuff without regret.
Think about it for awhile. Read what expats have written on blogs.

I read about a guy in the Philippines, a retired mechanic, he moved all his tools there. At great expense. Never used them!
If you want to hold on to your old life, yeah, you could haul it all down to Baja I guess. I think US culture is a lot closer to Mexican culture, than Asian.

A lot of my friends and family in the U.S. have called me "brave" for making the move to Việt Nam.

To them, it seems, the country and the culture are scary.

I discovered a new courage to get rid of "stuff" (house, furniture, appliances, extra clothing...CAR...etc) when I followed through on plans to come here with two large suitcases and a carry-on, plus 17" laptop and my CPAP machine.

If I couldn't sell it, I gave it away or donated it. If I couldn't give it away, I threw it away. If I couldn't throw it away, I paid a junk man $100 to come haul it away.

As it is, I still brought too much clothing I don't wear. One suitcase is being stored for free by my great hotel in Hà Nội. No valuables inside, only clothing for cooler/wetter weather (I'll visit there this winter).

But the big point is, I feel very free not being weighted down by the responsibility for a lot of stuff.

I thought about storing stuff here at my hotel in Đã Nẵng while I explore the central & southern parts of the country, and the manager gladly offered to do so for free.

But now, my most important "stuff" is my 4th floor room overlooking Mỹ Khê Beach. At (currently) $300.45 a month, I can afford to keep this rental as I travel about.

I do fear loosing my balcony in the afternoon :)

Much less stuff.

No regrets.

The "downsizing" is proving to be my most difficult part of the move to VN.  Prior to my divorce I lived in the country on 16 acres with a big house, a 30x60 shop and a 40x60 shop, both of which were (still are-have until 12/31 to get everything out) full of cars, tools, etc.  I have been slowly moving it to my new house but not going to be able to fit everything.  Have 5 cars and trucks, four boats and one motorcycle, plus a huge amount of tools, welders, fabrication equipment.  Started selling cars - first sold was a 66 Mustang Fastback.  Hated to see it go.  Still have a V8 swapped Miata, 1968 Saab 96 that I converted to RWD and installed a turbocharged drivetrain into, full cage and race suspension.  Both of these cars I have invested probably 1500 man hours and a lot of money into transforming into what they are now.  To just divest myself of them is difficult because I built them, didn't just buy them.  In the end whatever I can't get into my new 3 car garage is going.  Keeping my house in the states as I will be coming back to the US two weeks every two months.