Bringing pets to Cuenca

Hello,
We are moving to Cuenca for a short-term stay (6 months) in January and are considering bringing our 2 cats. I did a bit of research and it looks like we just need to have up-to-date vaccinations but would appreciate any advice from people who have relocated with a pet.

Thanks,
Julia

jagsatori wrote:

We are moving to Cuenca for a short-term stay (6 months) in January and are considering bringing our 2 cats. I did a bit of research and it looks like we just need to have up-to-date vaccinations....

Dear Julia,

I suggest that you do the following two things....

1.  Visit aphis.usda.gov, the Agriculture Department animal inspection service's online site, regarding any application forms or vet-inspections required.  The welcome page of the site has an option for "export an animal" which is relevant here.  Based on your expat.com bio, it appears that you are a resident of the USA.

2.  Ask your airline or prospective airlines about any requirements, restrictions and costs for transporting your pets.

cccmedia

Since you did not say whether your cats have flown before or, if so, how they fared .. there is another issue that may be worth mentioning.  Years ago, it was discussed on this forum.

Some animals do not do well in air travel.  It may relate to their age, their personality or the circumstances of the flight.

In some cases, animals may have to be separated from their owners before or during a flight.  The animals may become fearful or skittish .. or act up during flight.

Upon arrival in Ecuador, a problem animal may be subject to embargo by SENAE .. setting up a potential nightmare scenario for pet and owners.

----

If you do not know what to expect when flying with your pets, you will have to weigh the benefit of having them with you in Ecuador versus an unpredictable outcome in the air or upon arrival.

cccmedia

I brought my one cat in cabin in a special soft kittie carrier.  Your requirements are a bit different, they may have to go in cargo, or each of the two of you could go with 1 cat each in cabin, which is much better than going in cargo.  I was worried for years before transporting my cat in 4 planes, but she held up like a trouper.  At each change in plane, you must go into a closed room (so your cat cannot escape) and take the cat out of the carrier, while they inspect the carrier.  This was absolutely no problem for me, although my cat is averse to strangers. 
After much research, I bought a Sleepypod carrier.  It has everything for comfort of animals and carrying ability, and also contracts a few inches, to accommodate different requirements of different airlines. Make sure that you consult the online airline requirements as to size of in.cabin carriers.  I now use the Sleepypod anytime that animals need to go to the vet here, also you can remove the soft liner and your animal can sleep just on it anywhere in your residence.

Helen