Earliest time I can renew my Colombian working visa?

Hello

I have been living and working in Bogotá Colombia for the past year. I have a Type V working visa which ends on the 8th February 2019. I was wondering when is the earliest time I can renew my working visa. Or worded another way, when is the earliest time I can apply again for another working visa to enable me to stay in Colombia to work for another year?

Thanks
Billy

Dear Billy,

If you're working for a Colombian company and intend to continue to work there, have the company's HR manager or personnel office guide you.

If you have some less formal work or can't obtain evidence that you have work that will last until February 2020, then provide more details if you post on this thread again.

cccmedia

Hello, thank you, I do work for a professional company based in Bogota. The problem is I will be travelling to the UK in December and returning after the date of February 8th when my work visa runs out (maybe returning in late Feb). For this reason I wanted to renew my work visa before I leave. However, I assume that when I return to Colombia I will be just be able to enter on a normal tourist visa?

Have your company guide you, as discussed earlier.

They've probably dealt with this type of thing before .. and thus they know the right bureaucrats to deal with if that becomes necessary.

You're doing the right thing by starting early.

cccmedia

Hi Billy,

So, my HR lady has always said she can't renew it in country until a month before it expires.  She's not the most reliable, so take that with a grain of salt, but if you'll be gone during that time, you may have to renew it at the consulate or embassy in your home country or wherever you will be.  Your employee should take care of getting the paperwork in order, but you'll need a form called the resumen de contrato, as well as the pictures for the visa and obviously payment (that will probably be something you will have to be reimbursed for).  I think (emphasis on think) that's all you need for the renewal, but yes your employer should be able to take care of it, but in my experience with HR here, it's best to double check they have everything in order.

This site might help although it doesn't specify anything about the renewal.