Can I still locate my grandmother in Hungary's records?

Hi :-)
My grandma was a Hungarian citizen (born on 1928 in Nagykőrös, Hungary) but after WWII moved to a different country and later lost her Hungarian documents in a fire incident. She passed away in 2012.

My father is currently trying to obtain her birth certificate or at least locate her in the government's records so that he can register for the Hungarian citizenship, but we only know her full name, date of birth, her father's name, and her mother's first name (not maiden name). We also aren't exactly sure of the Hungarian spelling of their names, but I was able to find common spellings through search on FamilySearch, but still I'm not 100% sure.

The only family member in Hungary (my grandma's sister) we have contact with refuses to help us. My cousin even tried going to Hungary to work with government centers directly but they weren't able to locate her, saying she doesn't exist in their records (I assume because we aren't sure of the spelling)

Now my question is can I go anywhere with the information I have? Who would be the best person/entity to reach out to help "search" for my grandma's records? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Consulates can obtain birth records, though it can take quite some time:

https://losangeles.mfa.gov.hu/eng/page/ … om-hungary

Of course they'll only look under the names you give, so maybe they'll find nothing, too.

And are you absolutely certain it was Nagykőrös? Family background passed on through the years always has to be treated with some skepticism. It could easily have been a small town near Nagykőrös, or some other place entirely.

Local churches (usually Catholic) often keep birth records, if your Grandmother was Catholic.

But, I would think (really assume -- so may be wrong), that proving descent would be rather hard without her now lost paperwork. And if so, getting birth confirmation alone may not be enough to really help with direct citizenship claims.

Perhaps someone with more direct experience can help. Consider posting your question at this thread:

Has anyone gone through the simplified naturalization precedure?

No, he's not looking for Simplified Naturalization. That thread will confuse him.

His father wants to claim recognition of his Hungarian citizenship based on his mother's Hungarian citizenship. Basic documents for that would be his mother's official Hungarian birth record, his parents' marriage certificate, and his own birth record. (Church records only have official status in Hungary till 1895, when government registration offices were established.)

zif wrote:

No, he's not looking for Simplified Naturalization. That thread will confuse him.

Hm.  :/ I am not sure it would confuse any thinking person who knows what they are doing and why.

And I rather suggested it because many there that have posted have tracked down their paperwork in all sorts of ways, and are more likely to see his question and give advice, rather than assuming they may notice a new thread.

zif wrote:

(Church records only have official status in Hungary till 1895, when government registration offices were established.)

I did not mean it to be official. I meant it as a potential source to verify that she was indeed born in Hungary and to get the date of birth and name matched and thus spelled correctly - since that seems to be at issue. It may be a good starting point. It may also give additional information that may be of use in one way or another. :)

Thank you for your response. Yes, I'm 100% sure that is where she was born. I am familiar with the naturalization process, as well, but you understood me correctly because I am trying to just locate her birth records which hopefully will suffice along with my father's birth certificate and the marriage certificate

Thank you! I've heard other people say that Church records might be helpful, but I have no idea how to go about searching them. Do you by any chance know? Are they available online, or is there maybe a website for them or would I need to physically obtain them?

koudmani wrote:

Thank you! I've heard other people say that Church records might be helpful, but I have no idea how to go about searching them. Do you by any chance know? Are they available online, or is there maybe a website for them or would I need to physically obtain them?

I personally have no idea.

Which is why I suggested posting at the thread I mentioned. Because I think some posters there did do a Church record search and may know how it is done.

Simply post a relevant question how to search for church records -- which should be the same process, be if for simplified naturalization or direct citizenship.  :)