Obtaining residency while working for UK company

Hi all, wondering if you can help me!

My husband and I are moving from the UK to Malta next month and would like to apply for residency as soon as possible.
We both already work remotely- my husband employed by a UK company, and me self-employed with an online ESL company.

So how do we go about applying for residency? We were thinking my husband applies first because he is employed and then me later, but because he works for a UK company he doesn't have an employment registration number like the form asks for.   Can anyone clear the process up for me?...

Thanks so much! :)

I was told that a foreign employer have to register here as an employer and pay your PAYE here - it's not like registering a new company much easier. Taxes would need to be paid here if you work here.

Things might have changed or some new option exist. Suggest you speak to an accountant. Other options is to become a sole trader and invoice your foreign employer etc

Perhaps - as usual - there seems to be conflicting advice.

I have heard two suggestions - PAYE paid here as Volcane suggested above and also the self sufficient route based on earnings / savings.

We arrive in a couple of weeks and will be applying for residency via self sufficient (me) and family member (my UK wife). I also work for a UK based employer and the advice given to me by the HMRC tax adviser (via their callback service not just the help desk) was to complete a P85 and request an 'NT' tax code for my employer to use.

Be wroth making enquiries to see what they advise. This route limits the amount of time you can spend in the UK - HMRC advised no more than 91 'midnights' in the UK. 

Hope this helps.

Self sufficient doesn't make you exempt from paying tax where the work is done I am afraid.

kiwi dan wrote:

Perhaps - as usual - there seems to be conflicting advice.

I have heard two suggestions - PAYE paid here as Volcane suggested above and also the self sufficient route based on earnings / savings.

We arrive in a couple of weeks and will be applying for residency via self sufficient (me) and family member (my UK wife). I also work for a UK based employer and the advice given to me by the HMRC tax adviser (via their callback service not just the help desk) was to complete a P85 and request an 'NT' tax code for my employer to use.

Be wroth making enquiries to see what they advise. This route limits the amount of time you can spend in the UK - HMRC advised no more than 91 'midnights' in the UK. 

Hope this helps.

Surely your applications would need to be for your wife with you as the family member as you are non EU?
Your wife has an automatic right to residency as a UK citizen whereas you would be classed as a TCN being from New Zealand.

Ray

Thanks very much everyone for the advice.
So, if we went down the self-employed route, would our first step be registering for a work permit or something so that we have the relevant numbers before applying? And if so where do we go to do that?

You will also  have to register with the tax office as it's the law you complete tax returns every year.

GozoMo wrote:

You will also  have to register with the tax office as it's the law you complete tax returns every year.

Indeed - but also worth noting if you arrange things correctly they will contact you and say you don't need to send annual ones anymore :) Mine is like that and hopefully wife's next year

And how do you ‘arrange things correctly?'... :)

Lolknight wrote:

And how do you ‘arrange things correctly?'... :)

Use an accountant. Once mine shown my only source of funds coming to Malta is local employment (via own company) that was sufficient.

Ok thanks everybody. 😊

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Surely your applications would need to be for your wife with you as the family member as you are non EU?
Your wife has an automatic right to residency as a UK citizen whereas you would be classed as a TCN being from New Zealand.

Ray

Ray, thanks for the Shirley but no fear - I am a dual citizen.

Easiest route is self sufficiency then it doesn't matter who you work for. You need a minimum of €14600 in a bank account. The account doesn't have to be in Malta. But you do need a rental agreement and medical cover proof. But if you have British passports you can get a certificate of entitlement to health. Not sure if that will change after brexit