Copy Of The Livret de Famille

Hello all. I married an Algerian lady many years ago. I'm American. We didn't actually ever live together, in the US or Algeria as I worked in the US and she wanted to be with her family in Algeria in particular her elderly mother. But we would meet up in a home I owned in Europe now and again, and sometimes she would travel with me on business. I was very kind to her and bought her a property in Algeria near her mother and made sure she always had money.  One day she told me she was pregnant and went back to Algeria where I hardly ever saw her again. Or the child.  The child is now an adult.  I did not see a birth certificate or the Livret de Famille, family book. I was not muslim and had no birth certificate as I was born during a conflict in my original homeland and was subsequently exiled to become a US citizen. The fact I'm non Muslim she knew from the start.

Jump forward several years, and I am desperate to contact this woman as I have not seen her for years and I want a divorce as I have met someone else. I also stop her credit cards. The Algerian woman refuses to come to Europe for the divorce. Furthermore she wants all of my properties worldwide. I am now in a legal process with her Lawyer, but there is no sight and sound of her. Her Lawyer is Algerian too.  Just something feels off about the whole thing. The Lawyer seems to be very emotive about the whole case in my opinion. Not detached at all, as should be the case. He gets super upset and whiny about things that shouldn't bother him as a professional.

I have requested to see the family book as there are doubts, at least as far as I am concerned,  that she is still alive, is she dead? I don't know. And I never did see the birth certificate for the child. I doubt I'm named as the father, if indeed I am the father, as I am non- muslim. Now this child has a US passport!

The Lawyer refuses to give me a copy of the Family Book. In fact he was rather explosive on that subject almost as if I'd hit a raw nerve. But if there is one, I am named in it, right?

How do I begin to unravel this web of lies? Is it possible she is married to an Algerian man and I have been funding her and her husband and his child all these years? She never allowed me to visit her in Algeria, saying it was too dangerous. Refused a divorce.  How do I 1. Find out if she's still alive? 2. Obtain a copy of the Livret de Famille. I have contacted the consulate but nothing yet. I'm wondering if this is a case for Home Security and the fraud squad. Thanks for reading. Steve.

Sorry to hear that, I am from Taiwan and married to an Algerian man,now I am divorcing him, because he married 2nd wife around 2 years ago without my agreement.just found out by his daughter few days ago..There is NO information about the right for the people who is cheated by their husband/wife in algeria,I am also looking for help,sorry that I can't help.

Dear Fjpan,

Maybe you could start here, the Algerian police.

As you have been defrauded, presumably of money also, write a report, translate into French on Google translate, and bombard them until you get a response. Right now I have complaints in with the Law Enforcement in Algeria and France where the woman that scammed me lived for a period. I also learned that the Algerians have all their paperwork, Family books, death and birth certificates etc registered in Nantes in France and so I am in touch with the Algerian Consulate in Paris.

[email protected]   is the police email address.
Fax  2 1 32 172 6105 is the number to send a fax. Do both.

If you have the address of your husband in Algeria, his full name and birth of date, that may help, I added my marriage certificate also.

Although its not illegal for Algerian men to have more than one wife, it is illegal for their women to have more than one husband.

I am hot on her heels right now. There is a fraud going on and I will not stop until she gets brought to account.

Good Luck.

Dear Pandora,

Thanks for your suggestion,I am living in algeria ,the police office is just in the corner,I will get all documents ready if he doesn't make any response to my divorce request.. Everything is going slow,he ignored and just wants to keep 2 families,of coz I will not accept polygamy..Wish you good luck too..By the way why not come to algeria and do the rest,it's not hard to do all in algeria as I am living here almost 10 years.

Dear Fjpan,

Im in touch with the consulate right now while I try to obtain a copy of the family book, which by law I am entitled to a copy. Its just weird that my ex wife and her lawyer won't let me see a copy, obviously theres something in it they don't want me to see. I would love to go directly to Algeria, and am currently thinking about that. Thanks for the advice. Keep in touch.