Cost of living in Novosibirsk

Hello dear members,

I think it would be very interesting and useful to supply some information about the cost of living in Novosibirsk. I am sure it will be very helpful to members who are planning to relocate to there.

Don't forget to mention in which region/city where you are living!

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Novosibirsk?)

> public transportation fares (taxi, bus etc ...)

> food prices (per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy related prices (oil, gas, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

-Do not hesitate to add more items to the list-

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Hi :)

Even though I left Novosibirsk over 6 years ago, I still go from time to time to visit, so my experiences should be quite up-to-date:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Novosibirsk?)
I am not sure foreigners (expats) can legally purchase accomodation in Russia, but rent varies from some 12,000 roubles for a modest studio in the suburbs to $1,500 or more for a modern two-bedroom apartment in the city centre.

> public transportation fares (taxi, bus etc ...)
Buses, mini-buses (marshrutkas), trams, etc. are quite cheap at 15-20 roubles per ride, and so is the 'Metro' (the underground which unfortunately only has two lines, but they go through the busiest parts of the city so still quite useful)
Taxi prices start at 100-150 roubles for a short ride. Make sure you negotiate the price beforehand/use a taxi with a taxi-meter!

> energy related prices (oil, gas, electricity)
Petrol is cheaper than in Europe but still quite expensive considering that Russia has very rich oil reserves. Prices for petrol vary between 23 and 26 rouble per litre at the moment

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
A DSL flatrate will cost you 400 roubles/month or above, depending on the speed you choose, landine flatrates start at 500 roubles per month, mobile phone prices vary. MTS, for example, offers a flatrate (quite expensive at about 800 roubles per month), but low-cost companies like 'Megafon' and 'Tele2' offer cheap calls starting at 0,4 roubles per minute.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
'Business' Lunch menu will cost you 200-300 roubles even in a nice restaurant in the city centre like 'Mexico' with a soup, a salad, a main course and a drink.
Otherwise, meals in good restaurants start at 800 roubles - and 'the sky is the limit' ;-)

Hi Siberian!

Thanks for your contribution.:top:

Harmonie.;)