Buying a small resort in Sumui

Hi guys
My 2 young girls , wife and myself are looking at moving to sumui from South Africa
We are a young family with two young girls 4 years of age and 6 months
My wife and I have visited Thailand on 10 different occasions and we love it
We are considering buying a small resort with 30 bungalows and a restaurant .
My wife and I would keep the existing staff on board and just run the overall management of the resort
My questions are as follows -
Is it easy for children to adapt ?
Are there any  parks and kids activitys for children besides the beach?
Is there any objections to moving a small family to Sumui?

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising/promotion of your own services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear Op,

I've just read your post and wanted to give you some ideas to think about before you make the big move and invest a lot of money without knowing what the future will be like.

The resort business is usually from October to February, too many competitors can make it to a tuff business. Have you checked on the schools you want to send your older child to?

Education is a huge problem in LOS, if you can't afford it to send your first child and in some years your second child to an International school, please rethink all.

Activities for kids are of course available, but nothing is free. To be honest, I'd prefer to find the right activities for my own kids. Thailand isn't Disneyland/

What kind of insurance are you planning to buy? Not having insurance wouldn't be a wise move, people get sick and accidents happen everywhere. And full coverage will be expensive, even for a young family

How about your visa and work permit? Times have changed and it's not that easy to have all the right documents, especially when you've got such a little one who needs the full attention of you.

Have you found out why the current owner is selling the business? If I were you, I'd do the math, how much money you can make and most importantly how much money you'll need over a period of one year.

Holidaying in Thailand and living here are two different pairs of shoes, you'll soon find that out and there are many things to consider.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the right way to live here.

driver7777 wrote:

Hi guys
My 2 young girls , wife and myself are looking at moving to sumui from South Africa. We are a young family with two young girls 4 years of age and 6 months. My wife and I have visited Thailand on 10 different occasions and we love it. We are considering buying a small resort with 30 bungalows and a restaurant. My wife and I would keep the existing staff on board and just run the overall management of the resort.
My questions are as follows -
Is it easy for children to adapt ?
Are there any  parks and kids activitys for children besides the beach?
Is there any objections to moving a small family to Sumui
?

Driver7777,
Since you didn't ask any questions about visas, health insurance, business & work permits or how to run a business here, I will focus only on the questions (in bold) that you asked about. Yes, kids can adapt to new environments, but don't count on them having too many expat friends right next door. Yes, there are parks, movie theaters, kids gyms, etc., but you will need to supervise them and take them. And, no one is going to object to you moving here. So, welcome and wish you well with your business venture.