Drivers license in (nha trang or da nang)

I am planning on snowbirding here for 6 months at a time and wondering if my canadian license will allow me to drive a moped or if international license is accepted. i only have a class 5 license (only for car) will that allow me to drive a moped or can i get around it by getting an electric bike?

leung.norm wrote:

I am planning on snowbirding here for 6 months at a time and wondering if my canadian license will allow me to drive a moped or if international license is accepted. i only have a class 5 license (only for car) will that allow me to drive a moped or can i get around it by getting an electric bike?

No. An International Driver's License is not accepted in Vietnam. I was able to get a translated into Vietnamese from my American Driver's License, to a Vietnamese Driver's License at the local VN DL Office for a nominal price. It is essentially the same thing as a VN DL.

My suggestion would be to upgrade your Canadian DL to cover a motorcycle of at least 175cc. That will also extend the expiration of both your Canadian and VN DLs and allow you to ride a reasonable motorcycle. Your VN DL will be, essentially, a translation of your Canadian DL

Motorcycles of 50cc or less, at least for Vietnamese, do not require a DL

70 years old wrote:
leung.norm wrote:

No. An International Driver's License is not accepted in Vietnam. I was able to get a translated into Vietnamese from my American Driver's License, to a Vietnamese Driver's License at the local VN DL Office for a nominal price. It is essentially the same thing as a VN DL.

My suggestion would be to upgrade your Canadian DL to cover a motorcycle of at least 175cc. That will also extend the expiration of both your Canadian and VN DLs and allow you to ride a reasonable motorcycle. Your VN DL will be, essentially, a translation of your Canadian DL

Motorcycles of 50cc or less, at least for Vietnamese, do not require a DL

I was of the same opinion.
But Ciambella has partially refuted this in another thread.

However I would recommend to convert the driving license into a Vietnamese driving license because it is very simple and cheap.

If you still have compulsory insurance, your vehicle registration card and your passport with you, the police can only hit you if you drive the wrong way.

Andy Passenger wrote:

If you still have compulsory insurance, your vehicle registration card and your passport with you, the police can only hit you if you drive the wrong way.

I have a rented motorbike. The vehicle registration and insurance is with the owner. Should I ask owner for a copy (photocopy) of both documents and carry it with me?

sanooku wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

I have a rented motorbike. The vehicle registration and insurance is with the owner. Should I ask owner for a copy (photocopy) of both documents and carry it with me?

Good question.
In the rare cases when I rented a motorcycle I never took care of it.
Maybe it is enough to carry the rental contract with you.