Loiza or Cabo Rojo to buy

Hola,

Looking to buy an apartment (condo) for vacation and possible retirement -- l live in NY and traveling to P.R. soon to look at properties in Loiza and in Cabo Rojo.

Any opinion as to prices, area?  Thanks.

edibxgrl wrote:

Hola,

Looking to buy an apartment (condo) for vacation and possible retirement -- l live in NY and traveling to P.R. soon to look at properties in Loiza and in Cabo Rojo.

Any opinion as to prices, area?  Thanks.

Before you put money down, you should visit the island several times and get to know the island better. What makes you happy and what makes me happy are likely to be different.

Here are some possible locations: Luquillo, Fajardo, Palmas del Mar in Humacao, Rincon, Condado, Old San Juan.

As to prices, they are all over the place, it all depends on location, luxury and many other options. Do note that Most of San Juan areas like Condado and Old San Juan do not have good beaches but they are popular with Vacationers because that is where they land, there are much better beaches and places to live.

You can use this site to get an idea of prices.
https://www.clasificadosonline.com/RealEstate.asp

Thanks ReyP -

I actually am from P.R. although grew up in NY.  My parents' family are from Vega Baja/Vega Alta.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to condo pricing (relative to area) in Loiza and/or Cabo Rojo.  I agree w/you re: beaches, although I'm thinking of Loiza due to its proximity to airport/San Juan area.

edibxgrl wrote:

Thanks ReyP -

I actually am from P.R. although grew up in NY.  My parents' family are from Vega Baja/Vega Alta.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to condo pricing (relative to area) in Loiza and/or Cabo Rojo.  I agree w/you re: beaches, although I'm thinking of Loiza due to its proximity to airport/San Juan area.

Loiza tend to have a lot of beach erosion and also lots of flooding, Luquillo is not that much farther.

Enter the two locations, one at a time in the clasificados page and you should get a good idea. Also there is a difference between a studio condo and a 3 br condo 2 bath. When asking range of pricing you need specify the bedrooms and baths. But you are looking at 90 to 140k, unless you are looking at repos which may go for less. Condado you can also get a 200-1.2 mil condo depending on building and how far from the beach.

Use the link

Based on your response, should I totally scrap my viewing of the Loiza condos?  And should I be looking at Luquillo instead?

How about Cabo Rojo?  Any reserves?

Thanks for your responses -- they really provide a lot of perspective on my search.

Most condos in Loiza are fine, but some of the roads can become flooded in bad weathe.

For most locations I would recommend a second or 3rd floor condo, above that if there is no electricity or water it would be a big issues to go that many floors on foot carrying stuff up and down, no electricity means no elevator and water can be very heavy to carry.

Have not heard anything bad about Cabo Rojo, but you will be VERY far from the Airport. The airport in the west of the island does not have as many airlines or flights a week.

Not sure how important it is to be close to the airport. If you only go a few times a year, then being far or just 10 miles away is not a big deal. If you are in and out very often (1 per month or weekly) then it can become very important to be closed to it.

There is a WHOLE island with 78 towns, many 1 hour from the airport, don't limit yourself due to irregular trips to the airport.

I agree about the airport thing, plus I really don't mind the driving which is why I'm venturing towards Cabo Rojo, which I wasn't even considering until some friends recommended.   And yes we will not be going very often.  My idea is to vacation for several years and perhaps retire in Puerto Rico.  At that point, I should have a better feel for the town I'd like to settle in.  You've been very helpful in providing invaluable info.  Thanks.

Hola!

Apenas en San Juan y tantas citas de Real Estate canceladas!  Could you share a reputable RE agent that might show us some condos for sale in Loiza, Luqillo?

Talk to Carlos Torres ‭(787) 527-3324‬

If you are looking at Cabo Rojo, there are flights into Aguadilla, and Ponce.  I've never used the Ponce airport, but we fly in and out of Aguadilla all the time.  Another trick we learned was when booking our travel, we look at round trip flights fro Mayaguez to our location and back.  Cape Air is the only airline out of Mayaguez.  It's is a small plane, but for approximately $20 more (when booked round trip from/to Mayaguez), you can land on the west side during the day. The flight from San Juan to Mayaguez is beautiful.  The airport is small and extremely minimal.  There is a rental car agency in there and that is it.

I am a Nuyorican who recently fulfilled my lifelong dream of buying my first home in Puerto Rico. Please feel free to DM with any questions. I had a really good experience with my mortgage lender and realtor: closed in 45 days, too.

If you like big cities and all the bad things that come with a big city, then San Juan is for you. If you like the peaceful and laid back lifestyle of a smaller city with awesome beaches, then cabo rojo is the place. We made several trips and rented for 6 months only to find that our original place of cabo rojo was the best choice. We bought a house in a retirement vacation area and are loving life here. The airport comment about Aguadilla and mayaguez is true. Many well priced homes and condos here.

Thank you  Great info.

Thanks for all your very informative replies.  We are seriously considering Cabo Rojo after visiting there recently.  Can't wait!  I will come back and share the experiences w/you.  Best!

How exciting! We went to Cabo Rojo for the first time as a day trip in September after hearing many great things. I can see why so many love it there. If you have time, check out Playa La Jungla en Guánica you won't regret it. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences en la isla del encanto.

Sounds exciting.  Will surely put it down on my bucket list for next time I travel to Cabo Rojo.  And yes, we are set on buying there despite the distance from SJU.  But will focus on what airlines/when are flights more frequent, throughout the year, etc., although, I see it more like my very own private paradise.  My guest will just have to find a way to get to us (hahaha).  Will keep you posted!

edibxgrl wrote:

Sounds exciting.  Will surely put it down on my bucket list for next time I travel to Cabo Rojo.  And yes, we are set on buying there despite the distance from SJU.  But will focus on what airlines/when are flights more frequent, throughout the year, etc., although, I see it more like my very own private paradise.  My guest will just have to find a way to get to us (hahaha).  Will keep you posted!

Most flights are in and out of SJ, but if you don't have to flight often, then it is a blessing, enjoy your paradise and you will also be close to a large English community when you feel you need the contact.

edibxgrl wrote:

My guest will just have to find a way to get to us (hahaha).  Will keep you posted!

My understanding is that the short-term rental market in Cabo Rojo is predominately locals.  Rentals in Loiza/Luquillo/Fajardo are more likely to be for "los afuertos".

Of course, if the idea is to buy in the area that you find most appealing and then rent when you are away, well then follow your bliss.