Today's Weather

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

We had rain, sleet, snow then rain yesterday. Today it's showing  -1°C. While in the UK they are having a heatwave shortly with 18°C.

Whoa! 18 C...that's bonkers.  Almost Hungarian weather.   Says 10 C in the sun here.

Where do I have to go for 18 C?  I couldn't see anything above ~9C in the South East.

Mrs Fluffy's Uncle here in HU says it'll stick to no winter until well past February 2020.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-hit-te … e-11896530

Opps 16°C

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

We had rain, sleet, snow then rain yesterday. Today it's showing  -1°C. While in the UK they are having a heatwave shortly with 18°C.

Whoa! 18 C...that's bonkers.  Almost Hungarian weather.   Says 10 C in the sun here.

Where do I have to go for 18 C?  I couldn't see anything above ~9C in the South East.

Mrs Fluffy's Uncle here in HU says it'll stick to no winter until well past February 2020.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-hit-te … e-11896530

Opps 16°C

"The warmest parts of the UK are likely to be parts of northeast England and north Wales".   

I am not sure anyone actually lives there.  Here's a picture of Newcastle or Liverpool (forget which):

https://www.mercycorps.org/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow/public/photos/Dornogobi1.jpg

And here are the locals out on a Sunday:

https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-splice-spp-674x446/07/81/6b/50.jpg

Hmm....Sunday satire.....All this is ever so slightly off-topic.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Here's a picture of Newcastle or Liverpool (forget which):

Reply moved to:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 22#4762139

The UK has witnessed an "exceptional" temperature for late December - but it was so early in the morning that most people slept through it.

According to the Met Office, 16.8°C (62.2°F) was recorded in north Scotland at 3am on Sunday in the town of Cassley.

SimCityAT wrote:

The UK has witnessed an "exceptional" temperature for late December - but it was so early in the morning that most people slept through it.

According to the Met Office, 16.8°C (62.2°F) was recorded in north Scotland at 3am on Sunday in the town of Cassley.

They'll have to put the milk in the fridge rather than on the window sill.

Brrrr....below zero sometimes, certainly overnight, 0 C on the thermometer and a sprinkling of snow and frost.  Crunchy underfoot.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Brrrr....below zero sometimes, certainly overnight

I have to break the ice layer on the Weather Dog's outside water bowl each morning now. Some days, it  has been frozen solid. He tries to lick the ice, then looks up at me as to ask what is wrong, and maybe even to say it is my fault (well, okay, maybe the last part is me over analyzing, guilt, anthropomorphism, etc.)

Of course the Weather Dog wants to be inside most of the day now (except for our long walks of course). That is one Weather Dog measurement: If he wants to be inside, then it is very cold outside*.

* Weather Dog measurements are not expected to be exact of course..... :)

klsallee wrote:

I have to break the ice layer on the Weather Dog's outside water bowl each morning now. Some days, it  has been frozen solid. He tries to lick the ice, then looks up at me as to ask what is wrong, and maybe even to say it is my fault (well, okay, maybe the last part is me over analyzing, guilt, anthropomorphism, etc.)

Of course the Weather Dog wants to be inside most of the day now (except for our long walks of course). That is one Weather Dog measurement: If he wants to be inside, then it is very cold outside*.

* Weather Dog measurements are not expected to be exact of course..... :)

We have to break the ice for our chicken menagerie outside (they are pets really for the kids, not for eating other than eggs).  They can survive quite well down to -20 C if they have enough food, water and can keep out of the wind.  In my home made chicken house, I made some polystyrene panels for insulation (basically fits over the sides).  They seem quite cosy in there with their straw bedding. It's the Hen Hilton.  They line up nicely on the perch. I'll have move them to a new location soon because the neighbours complained they were too close to their BBQ area on the other side of the fence.     

On the dog situation, we've been here before.  Dogs have eyes to hypnotise you.  Once you're under their spell, you're doomed.   Our GR has developed a habit of coming up to you while you're sitting, resting her head on your knee and looking sorrowfully and obviously pleading at you.  Basically a me me me statement - love me and love me now and damn everything else.   Cannot do anything without her following us around.  Really likes it best in the garden hanging around with you while you're doing something.   Quite hard to be under the car with her trying to play with my boots.  Seems keen on attacking the spade when I'm digging.  Dog vs Metal. We know who's going to win that one.

https://images.dailyhive.com/20190119170818/shutterstock_231274975.jpeg

Bloooooody hell, cold this morning. -10°C (14°F) but felt a lot colder. I've been in temps a lot colder and believe me it felt colder. I got the reading from the clock tower in town and that's normally spot on.

SimCityAT wrote:

[img align=C]https://images.dailyhive.com/20190119170818/shutterstock_231274975.jpeg[/url]

Bloooooody hell, cold this morning. -10°C (14°F) but felt a lot colder. I've been in temps a lot colder and believe me it felt colder. I got the reading from the clock tower in town and that's normally spot on.

-5 C here, with slight increase in the sunny areas to -2C as of 0845h.

It's a bit parky indeed, ice in the street.  Been looking for my hat and gloves.  I was going to do some tidying up in the garden so that's on hold now. Only yesterday, despite being cold, it was sunny and almost spring like with birds tweeting.  Plants have got buds on but no sign of  snowdrops. I think end of January perhaps.

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's a bit parky indeed, ice in the street.  Been looking for my hat and gloves.  I was going to do some tidying up in the garden so that's on hold now. Only yesterday, despite being cold, it was sunny and almost spring like with birds tweeting.  Plants have got buds on but no sign of snowdrops. I think end of January perhaps.

I was really wanting to get out into the garden today, oh well that goes on the back burner. Oh well, a few odd jobs around the house to finish. Unless anything will change, which I doubt it. Expecting a colder few weeks, then snow no doubt?

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

It's a bit parky indeed, ice in the street.  Been looking for my hat and gloves.  I was going to do some tidying up in the garden so that's on hold now. Only yesterday, despite being cold, it was sunny and almost spring like with birds tweeting.  Plants have got buds on but no sign of snowdrops. I think end of January perhaps.

I was really wanting to get out into the garden today, oh well that goes on the back burner. Oh well, a few odd jobs around the house to finish. Unless anything will change, which I doubt it. Expecting a colder few weeks, then snow no doubt?

From what I've read, it'll be fairly typical January with below zero for periods and creeping up to 5-6 C.  Of course with the sun (and it's very nicely sunny), it'll be warming up where it reaches but with no clouds there's no blanket.  Snow possible as usual up to mid-April (like the AT/DE winter tyres periods). BTW, we've stopped swapping wheels and just have all  weather/all year tyres now).   

I was planning to continue pruning my apple and pear trees. Be OK when the  sun gets there. I've screwed up on the cherry as I should have done that in autumn. I might just do it anyway.  After all it's me or it as it's too big    I tried to start work on getting another tree stump out but the ground is frozen and I cannot get the spade in.  I was wrong to report no snowdrops - Mrs Fluffy reported some snowdrops in the garden at her Mum and Dad's place.

I suppose this means I might have to actually do some work. It's what they pay me for in their Other Operations (at 1m 53s).  I could say I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me.

After almost a month with no precipitation, finally had some today. The first snow of the winter season that actually stuck to the ground. Most melted by late afternoon. But... finally felt like winter. :)

klsallee wrote:

After almost a month with no precipitation, finally had some today. The first snow of the winter season that actually stuck to the ground. Most melted by late afternoon. But... finally felt like winter. :)

We've also got a dusting over snow over here.  We didn't get any melt really despite the temperature being just above 0 C.  No sunshine to speak of.

Still no snow, everywhere seemed to have a dusting of snow yesterday but us. Not that I am wanting it :D

Online weather sites said it would be 3°C today.

It was maxed out at -3°C.

I guess the online sources dropped the minus sign.... Local realty versus "online". What a shock that online got it wrong.... Says a lot. Far beyond weather..... Just saying....  :cool:

klsallee wrote:

Online weather sites said it would be 3°C today.

It was maxed out at -3°C.

I guess the online sources dropped the minus sign.... Local realty versus "online". What a shock that online got it wrong.... Says a lot. Far beyond weather..... Just saying....  :cool:

I've downloaded the Meteora OMSZ (HU govt weather office) App on Android and it's quite functional.   The maps are quite good and you can interactively layer on different weather stuff like cloud or wind.  Not that interesting today as it's all blue (i.e cold).

fluffy2560 wrote:

I've downloaded

You want to know what are my my ultimate weather apps?

A barometer and thermometer.

Both analog.

And one more. My brain. That is. Experience.

Using experience, or history, with some simple tools has been more accurate than any online source.

And they do not track my use.

If one cares about such things. And one should care about such things..... :cool:

klsallee wrote:

And they do not track my use.

If one cares about such things. And one should care about such things..... :cool:

They already know everything about you.  If you send an e-mail, you'll already be tagged as to your interests.  Looking out the window I know works locally but knowing what's going on somewhere else needs Apps or the Internet.  Done and dusted.   

Scott McNealy (of Sun) once said (or words to the effect of), "Privacy is dead".   The big players interest is perverse in my mind to check on the details about trivia in anyone's life.

In 1999, Stephen Manes quoted McNealy as saying, "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."

Manes criticized the statement in his Full Disclosure column: "He's right on the facts, wrong on the attitude. ... Instead of 'getting over it', citizens need to demand clear rules on privacy, security, and confidentiality."

The authors of Privacy in the 21st Century admitted, "While a shocking statement, there is an element of truth in it."

20 years ago and still relevant and unfortunately still quite true and getting worse.  FB is perhaps the worst and the apologists justifications or lack of acknowledgement of the harm they do is incredible.

fluffy2560 wrote:

They already know everything about you.  If you send an e-mail, you'll already be tagged as to your interests.

Well. No. They only know what you share via any digital format. Don't share everything, and they don't know everything.

If I want info to be private, I use a once write pad. It is analog. And impossible to crack without the pad.

But regarding who "they" are it is often mostly theses days a company, not a government. For example, if you send an email to a Gmail account (or similar). They scan everything for their own interests. So which is why I refrain from using or sending to Gmail accounts. Yes, others do it too, but Google has better resources and latest tech to scan than others.

Also see:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/opin … alism.html

Yes, One Time Pads are common in the military (well, were in my day anyway).  But that's all clumsy to use.

You can produce your own PKI infrastructure if you want but it only really works if the other end is IT literate and can work it out. 

Google is notorious for it's scanning of e-mails.  My "dinosaur" experiment on Google or anyone listening in didn't come to anything.  I'm considering putting "dinosaur" in white text in my HTML format e-mails.  I am still hoping to be offered dinosaurs.

Not much to do with the weather really.

Dinosaurs? What do dinosaurs know about weather. Of course weather due to the Chicxulub crater may have impacted dinosaurs, who really knows how dinosaurs where affected. After all, according to some, dinosaurs may have stayed alive and met Jesus. If we want to believe the creationist dinosaur idea.

Have I mentioned dinosaurs enough yet to help your dinosaurs project? If not, let me know as I think dinosaurs are still worth mentioning. So I will mention dinosaurs as much as possible. I personally like dinosaurs. Of course, dinosaurs, are not weather related.... at least not today, So a bit off topic to mention dinosaurs here. But some theories put weather as a possible cause of dinosaurs extinction. So, maybe we should consider weather also when we talk about dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs. What an interesting topic. As a child I was fascinated about dinosaurs. Even considered paleontology as a field of study. Dinosaurs. Quite frankly. dinosaurs are cool. Who does not love dinosaurs?

klsallee wrote:

Dinosaurs? What do dinosaurs know about weather. Of course weather due to the Chicxulub crater may have impacted dinosaurs, who really knows how dinosaurs where affected. After all, according to some, dinosaurs may have stayed alive and met Jesus. If we want to believe the creationist dinosaur idea.

Have I mentioned dinosaurs enough yet to help your dinosaurs project? If not, let me know as I think dinosaurs are still worth mentioning. So I will mention dinosaurs as much as possible. I personally like dinosaurs. Of course, dinosaurs, are not weather related.... at least not today, So a bit off topic to mention dinosaurs here. But some theories put weather as a possible cause of dinosaurs extinction. So, maybe we should consider weather also when we talk about dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs. What an interesting topic. As a child I was fascinated about dinosaurs. Even considered paleontology as a field of study. Dinosaurs. Quite frankly. dinosaurs are cool. Who does not love dinosaurs?

You've got a weather dog, what about a weather dinosaur?   Hmmm..that's an idea.....project for my blacksmithing wind sculptures.  Wireframe Xmas dino with flashing eyes  or mechanical movement powered by wind. There's a weather link.

I actually did study palaeontology for a bit as I did a geology course.  It was fairly interesting.  The main thing I learnt is that dinosaurs had bad eyesight so if you were hiding from one, you could always say, "oh, look it's a doyouthinkhesaurus".   No, not really, we were mainly looking at trilobites for dating layers and various other things about it all.   Rock on.

I'm afraid the Dino vs Jesus would not even make a good movie.  Everyone knows dinos left the earth back to their home world before the meteorite hit off the south coast of the USA.

fluffy wrote:

You've got a weather dog, what about a weather dinosaur?  .

I have some very cool geologically ancient fish bones. That I personally  collected in Nevada.

If I hang them out, and they are wet (raining) or white (snowing) would that be close enough?

klsallee wrote:
fluffy wrote:

You've got a weather dog, what about a weather dinosaur?  .

I have some very cool geologically ancient fish bones. That I personally  collected in Nevada.

If I hang them out, and they are wet (raining) or white (snowing) would that be close enough?

Hmmm...weather fish....that's quite radical and somewhat pushing the envelope.  Cool fossils.

There's a touchy history on this subject.

We (in the UK) used to have a weatherman called Michael Fish.He was well known for having wrongly predicted a hurricane that devastated the South East of England and parts of Northern France. 
My feeling is that a Weather Fish is likely to be wrong at some point but perhaps more often right of course (a stopped watch is right twice a day scenario).  You could see a dry and seemingly warm fish and a blizzard magically develops when you are out in your T-shirt.  Risky.   

I've never been that keen on dinos myself although I did like some of the Jurassic Park movies if only for the idea it might be possible to resurrect them.  Apart from not liking Richard Attenborough but being keen on his bro, David,  in that movie I always wondered why they didn't bring back a primitive or Neanderthal and see what his or her behaviour would be like - nature not nuture and all that.  But I can see someone already tried it with Homo NeanderTrumperThal.  Not a missing link as such but a different branch.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TlK63EQZufmdFu0xFqo/giphy.gif

Beautiful sunny  t-shirt weather yesterday and today. Got up to 15°C yesterday. Feels like it will get similar today. Get out and enjoy. I only came in to remind everyone to do that!!!

Bit of rain this morning. But very, very windy in afternoon.

klsallee wrote:

Bit of rain this morning. But very, very windy in afternoon.

Significant power cuts across our area too.   Multiple interruptions.

2.7 cm of rain today. Even some minor snow flurries... but no snow stuck as it was too warm on the ground.

Another windy day. And forecasts predict more. Never seen so much wind this time of year. Especially southern winds. Like today.

Windy again today.

Has anyone else thought this is really, really a windy year?

Yesterday was really nice, inside it was up to 30 C through the window according to my outside sensor.  Today is total drizzleville, only 8 C with full cloud cover.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Today is total drizzleville, only 8 C with full cloud cover.

Interesting. And why I started this thread. So much local variation I find so interesting.

Meanwhile, here, it is overcast, no rain, and 18°C at 14:00 in the afternoon.  Nice day to do some gardening. Which I did. :)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Today is total drizzleville, only 8 C with full cloud cover.

Interesting. And why I started this thread. So much local variation I find so interesting.

Meanwhile, here, it is overcast, no rain, and 18°C at 14:00 in the afternoon.  Nice day to do some gardening. Which I did. :)

We had a bit of sunnier looking skies an hour ago and it's now 15.5 C on the outside thermometer and the clouds are returning.   It should be warmer overnight with the blanket of clouds.   

I really want it to dry out as I've got to trim my cherry tree and do some tidying up out there and it's not nice when it's all wet.  Wrong time of year for trimming but if I can give it a haircut then it won't be blocking my light come the seriously bushy season.

Lovely day, 20 C in the sun.

Builders coming, business as usual!

Coronavirus be damned!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Lovely day, 20 C in the sun!

Beat me. Overcast. Cool.

High of only 9°C at 14:00.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Lovely day, 20 C in the sun!

Beat me. Overcast. Cool.

High of only 9°C at 14:00.

Dropped back now to about 13-14 C in the sun.   Very cool now in the shadows.  Was OK in a T-shirt this morning but needs a coat out in the forest.

1848 Revolution Day!

Only 7.5 C but very very sunny.  Quite pleasant in the sun.  Birds happily tweeting, slight fresh breeze.

Don't clink your beer glasses!

Was 15°C today at 14:00. But felt colder due to chilly wind. Web sites said only 10°C today. The difference real local knowledge makes.... :)