Au Pair to English Language Teacher in Germany (Working Visa)

Hi! I‘m currently an Au Pair in Emsland. Studying the German language as I have originally planned to go to a german university next year. However, with all the expenses I‘m expecting to face on starting my student life in Germany I don’t think i‘ll have enough by the end of my Au Pair year given that we don’t really receive so much.

I already have a bachelor degree in International Studies major in European Studies in my home country, the Philippines. Even so, i am eager to earn a business degree in german. I‘m interested in taking International Management.

I‘ve considered doing dual study program. I‘ve sent a couple of applications and it’s been proving to be a quite difficult route. As most companies want a german speaking candidate. If that’s not the case, the partner university would only offer german-taught programs.

Right now I‘m just really focusing on studying the german language. Trying to reach B2. I‘m currently doing B1 and have been here for 3 months now. My contract will end by the end of June next year.

So I‘ve thought of taking online TEFL course so that after my au pair year, I could teach english in a language center or a private school. This way, my chances of saving up enough money would be better.

P.S. I probably threw so many information that doesn’t really relate to my main point. But just incase anyone would have an insight regarding that, it would be very much welcomed as well.

The main point is: What are the chances that i could switch into a working visa after my au pair year. I‘ve heard about americans doing an au pair year and staying to teach english. Is this really a possible option for me.

If i say i have a tefl, a degree, and a 4-month english teaching experience, would i be able to qualify.

The main hurdle in your case will be that, in order to get a work visa for you, the employer has to prove that there are no suitable EU nationals he could hire for the job instead of you. That would be difficult for a TEFL job, especially if English is not your mother tongue.
If, however, you have a student visa which allows a limited number of hours of work (and you do not need these hours for internships or industrial attachments required for your studies), then this might work and could potentially give you a subsidy for the cost of your student life.

Honestly, teaching languages is a tough way to pay the bills. Most language schools don't offer enough pay or enough hours to live from. Most instructors at such places are working part-time and usually have a partner that is the main wage earner. And coming from a non-EU country and not actually being a native English speaker plus having such a short teaching experience is doubtful; maybe possible but not likely. But I guess it would not hurt to inquire at some language schools and see what if anything they could arrange for you.

New topic