Voting in Brazil - My experience :)

Since I have completed the naturalization process, I went to the designated voting station in the morning to fulfill the mandatory voting obligation.   Although the voting is supposed to start at 8 AM, expecting long lines, we ended up reaching the station 1 hour early. 

To our surprise only 1 other person was there and eager to vote :).

So the 2 of us waited for the voting station to open up. 

Around 745 AM more people started gathering and by the time the voting stations opened up the number of people had reached around 20.

Once the gates opened we were guided to rooms based on our zone #. 

Once inside the officials reconfirmed our details on the Titulo de Eleitor matched their records, after that they scanned my fingerprints to verify my identity and then guided me to the voting machine where I had the option of putting in the reference number for my candidate or put in 00 if I wanted to opt out.

I did the needful and received a little slip showing that I participated in the elections.

Pretty smooth process

Looking forward to others sharing their experiences accordingly

Glad you had a good experience. Next election I will be voting, I've been dragging my feet on getting my citizenship. The results were a little disappointing with my favorite guy just missing the amount needed to win it the first time. The second time he will definitely win.

Yep - congrats on a good experience.
My husband was Presidente da Mesa at our local polling place, and came home exhausted.   Lots of voters early in the day (beachgoers?), lots at the end of the day, quiet in the middle.
I start my naturalization process in November, and am looking forward to it.   Craig just gave me a little more incentive:   if he's voting for his guy next time, I want to make sure I'm there too, as an offset. 😉

Oh no, you didn't, LOL! I'm not fond of the system of 2 rounds of voting but it's interesting. I wish America had voting like this. Vote or be fined (a very small amount). It would definitely prevent the minority from imposing their will on the masses.

Bolsonaro was short by 5 percent but chances are high that on the 28th of October the majority will vote in his favor.

Ab3 Since you will be starting your there naturalization process in November, did you go through and take the CELPE Bras already?

If not then just keep in mind that the next CELPE Bras is scheduled to take place in the month of April 2019. 

Without clearing it the PF officers won't accept the naturalization application.

No, I haven't.
I've been fully bilingual in Portuguese for over 40 years, so I'll see if I can wing it.  If they insist that they still need the paper, I'll get the paper:  their country, their rules.  :D

As of now there are about 3 ways when you can opt out of the language test:

1.  Being under the age of 18
2.  Being a resident of Brazil for 15 years or more
3.  Being unable to communicate due to specific disabilities

However get all the documents together and let's keep our fingers crossed! 

If I can be of any help please feel free to send me a message at anytime

Hoping for the best :)

Hi Ab3

Just putting an update to what I mentioned yesterday, please note that JF has expanded the language fluency requirement, the info is mentioned below:

"Article 5 For the investigation of the procedure provided for in item I of article 1, proof of the ability to communicate in Portuguese language will be given, considering the conditions of the applicant, by submitting one of the following documents:

I - certificate of:

a) proficiency in Portuguese for foreigners obtained through the Celpe-Bras Exam, conducted by the National Institute of Educational Studies and Research Anísio Teixeira - INEP;

b) completion of higher education or post-graduation, held in a Brazilian educational institution, registered with the Ministry of Education;

c) approval in the examination of the Brazilian Bar Association - OAB applied by the sectional units of the Brazilian Bar Association;

d) completion of a Portuguese language course directed at immigrants carried out in an institution of higher education recognized by the Ministry of Education; or

e) approval in evaluation of the communication capacity in Portuguese language applied by a higher education institution recognized by the Ministry of Education in which a language course mentioned in item "d" is offered;

II - proof of:

a) completion of elementary or secondary education through the National Exam for Certification of Young and Adult Skills - ENCCEJA; or

b) enrollment in a higher education institution recognized by the Ministry of Education as a result of passing a university entrance exam or taking advantage of a grade obtained in the National High School Examination (ENEM);

III - appointment to the position of professor, technician or scientist resulting from the approval of a competition promoted by a public university;

IV - history or equivalent document that proves completion in elementary, middle or supplementary education, carried out in a Brazilian educational institution, recognized by the competent Education Department; or

V - diploma of Medicine course revalidated by Institution of Public Higher Education after approval obtained in the National Exam of Medical Diplomas Issued by Institutions of Higher Foreign Education - REVALIDA applied by INEP.

§ 1 The proof of compliance with the requirement set forth in this article is exempt from national applicants from Portuguese-speaking countries.

Paragraph 2. The diplomas or documents equivalent to the completion of the courses referred to in item "b" of item I and in item IV that have been carried out in an educational institution of Portuguese-speaking countries will be accepted, provided there is legalization in Brazil, according to legislation in force. "(NR)

Hope this helps!!

stanza51

Interesting.  Do you happen to have a link to the original Portuguese?

Impresa Nacional

here you go :)

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Please note that i had to remove several posts from this thread.

Name-calling, insults and political comments are not welcomed on the forum.

Regards,
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Please note that i had to remove several posts from this thread.

Name-calling, insults and political comments are not welcomed on the forum.

Regards,
Bhavna

You didn't have to, you chose to.

Name calling, I agree.
Political opinions not being welcome shows exactly what is wrong with society today.
You can share your opinion, but only if the left likes your opinion. Otherwise it is hate speech

RIP freedom of speech

I have to agree with Gringo Louco this time

GringoLouco
stevefunk

Then, you two need to find a new place to let your Ids come out and play - not here, please.

We have a mission:  to help people with serious questions about Brazil with reliable information.   There are other places for political debates; here, they're a distraction at best.  And namecalling and racial slurs, like attributing criminality to certain ethnicities,  are NEVER ok.

Guys I agree with Ab3 and Bhavna, we drifted off from the main topic at hand.  If anything as such we can always share messages via inbox.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : comment remove - off topic + can incite negative reactions from members