Language barriers in Egypt

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Egypt.

What is the official language in Egypt, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Egypt and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Egypt on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

so do u interested in Arabic, u want to learn our native language to communicate with Egyptian People easily ?

The official language it is Arabic ( Egyptian Accent)
in Cairo specifically it is hard to find some one speak English from the locals.
you can find people speak English only in tourist places like hotels or  another cities like ( Hurghada , Sharm El-Shaikh, Luxor).
Yes, you can live in Egypt without speaking the language
Actually I have an American friend he has been living here for five years, he told me that he has no problem with that but some difficulties for example,  if you need to ask some one on the street for specific address it is hard to find some one  who can understand you, so  you need to take an Uber/Taxi all the time.
you can say( Shokran = thank you, Ezayak/Amel Eah  = how are you , MaAlesh = sorry) search on YouTube for more words.
Tips
- Go to Luxor, Hurghada, Sharm El-Shaikh - the best cities in Egypt.
if you will stay in Cairo:-
- Try to use Uber as you can,instead of Taxi.
- Try to avoid speaking with locals as much as you can.
- Don't response if someone trying to ask you on the street.(try to ignore )
- Watch some videos on YouTube, you will find a lot of useful info.
- Don't forget to Enjoy.

I agree with you
very useful advice

I think in Egypt people do understand English and they tried their best to communicate in English. I am in Japan right now and believe me people doesn't speak nor understand English. In Sweden, in the old days people doesn't understand English but now everybody do.

depend on the area u live in tho , lets say u live in a touristic city  yeah even people with little education can communicate with u , but yeah it comes with higher expanses than living in normal usual cities , but no ideally people wont get u if u only speak English

It's really not difficult to survive without speaking Arabic, i managed for 2 1/2 years and although i did learn a few words and short phrases (i'm not good at remembering but i tried my best) i didnt need to worry too much. In fact it was quite frustrating at times when i wanted to practise speaking Arabic i found people spoke to me in English anyway! Often locals want to practise their English and dont want you speaking Arabic. Also once i thought i had learnt a word or phrase i was told -oh no you dont say it like that.... its like this. Then someone else would tell me the opposite so i ended up not knowing which was correct. The most useful thing to learn is numbers so you can read prices or recognise them when asking in shops or markets. If you know how much to pay you will know if you are being overcharged (which happens a lot unfortunately). Food words are also useful and phrases like 'i want to go to..., how much is..., where is... as well as the basics, pleased to meet you, whats your name, etc. If you take time to interact with as many people as you can and try out these things you get used to it gradually. I wish i had been able to learn and remember more but i managed on very little even in 'untouristic' parts.

did you work there and if you did what kind of work did you do?

hi, yes i worked in english teaching for adults. It was a small training centre. Were you wanting to know more for a reason? Are you planning to work there yourself?

Well living in Egypt is a very nice experience specially if u know the locals languages and understood people mentality u can always ask for advice from friends and try exploring all what is new like food and going out and blending in with locals. Egyptian people are friendly.

I can help u to learn it, it is not hard to do that if u ve the right coach.