Language barriers in Colombia

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Colombia.

What is the official language in Colombia, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Colombia and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Colombia on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Colombia.

What is the official language in Colombia?...

Is it possible to live in Colombia and get by without speaking the language?

Attempting to get by without Spanish -- especially, claiming it's not possible to learn español after age X -- is not the strong move.

No one expects fluency, but conversational Spanish is an achievable goal within two years (or less, for those who studied in high school or have lived in places where Spanish is spoken or who put their mind to it with concerted effort).

Many Spanish nouns are already in the Engish vocabulary.  Taco, cerveza, fiesta, siesta .. and many other words are there too or are easy to learn:  grupo, sexo, obvio, estúpido .. claramente, vamos, mañana.

Because any influx of Expat residents here in South America has been limited to a few places such as El Poblado sector, Medellín .. and Cuenca and Vilcabamba in Ecuador .. learning some Spanish is important for a rich Expat life.

Going to the mercado, pointing to the mangos and holding up three fingers .. is not the key to living well in Spanish-speaking South America. :cool:

Even our old friend in Ecuador, Nards Barley, learned enough Spanish to exit Cuenca for a place in that República more amenable to his health and well-being. :top:

----

In the digital age, there are myriad ways to learn more Spanish.

One method to get started is to utilize two threads on expat.com's Ecuador forum (applicable to Expats in Colombia) titled español for Gringos and Shortcuts to Learning español.  Those threads are free and available 24/7. :)

cccmedia

Priscilla wrote:

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Here are some useful phrases ..

Hello.  Hola, pronounced OH-la. 

Although native Spanish speakers use 'hola' infrequently and prefer to greet friends and acquaintances with time-of-day-related phrases .. it's perfectly understood and acceptable for Gringos to say 'Hola'.  Especially since it eliminates the need to convert time of day into buenos días, buenas tardes, etc.

Pardon (me).  Perdón  -- pehr-DOHN.

This can keep you out of trouble or a confrontation in various situations.  It also gets someone's attention if you want to ask a question.

Thank you.   Gracias.

Where is the rest room?  ¿Dónde está el baño?  (BAHN-yo)

Help, please.   Ayuda, por favor.

No thanks.  No, gracias.   

For persistent beggars who pretend they don't realize that no means no, just say 'no' and drop the 'gracias' part.  Or simply ignore them at any point, avoiding eye and other physical contact.

You're welcome.  De nada.

I understand.  Comprendo.

I don't understand.  No comprendo.

No problem.  No problema.

The Gringo phrase 'no problemo' with an 'o' is probably a movie construct that would be understood in South America while emphasizing your Gringoness.

Goodbye or so-long.  Adios.

There were two phrases that were invaluable to me as a child when I was first trying to learn Spanish:

¿Cómo se dice <point at object>?  How do you say <point at object>?

¿Que quiere decir <repeat word heard but not understood>?  What does <word> mean?

In case you meet a fast-talker 'from the Coast' ;) ...

Please repeat that.   
Favor de repetir eso.

Speak more slowly, please. 
Hable (OBB-lay) más lentamente, por favor.

Excuse me, I didn't understand.   
Perdón, no entendí.

What does (word or phrase X) mean?
¿Qué significa X?

Slower, please.
Más despacio, por favor.

----

(Advanced) exit line to terminate an unproductive exchange while walking away or looking away...

Unfortunately, I did not understand that sentence.
Desafortunadamente, no entendí esa oración.

OsageArcher wrote:

invaluable to me as a child when I was first trying to learn Spanish:

¿Que quiere decir <repeat word heard but not understood>?  What does <word> mean?

The question ¿Qué quiere decir? has a second meaning that is also useful to Spanish-language learners.

It can be translated as:  What do you mean?

It's an idiom, involving two verbs whose root forms are querer (to want) and decir (to say).

Pronouncer:  kay KYEER-ay day-SEER

cccmedia

Tus ejemplos son perfectos! Those phrases are good starters. They will get someone a long way in learning Spanish. And when one uses those phrases, the Colombianos will appreciate at least that one is trying and will do their best to help one learn even more.

The key to actually speaking Spanish is....  SPEAKING Spanish.   I don't recommend plucking someone off the street and asking them to practice Spanish with you.  But if you simply offer to help a few people with English, you will be amazed how many people will bend over backwards to help you with your Spanish. There are millions of Latin Americans who are anxious to speak English.  And they have the same problem - finding someone to PRACTICE with. You can easily help 1, or 2, or 10 people - and the more you give, the more you will receive.   That is when the phrases above from OsageArcher come in really really useful  ¿Cómo se dice <point at object>?  How do you say <point at object>?   ¿Que quiere decir <repeat word heard but not understood>?  What does <word> mean?    When you help them with English, and you also ask them for help, you make them feel intelligent, empowered, equal.   Changes the whole dynamic.

You are so correct, SoyJames! I took Spanish for several years in school and did very well in it. Then as a teen, I spent several months living in Central America. There is nothing like IMMERSION and just jumping it to learn a language. But there, in the middle of the culture, I began to even think in Spanish!