Moving to spain

Can anyone out there answer some questions for me
I have been looking at old style apartments in northern alicante. Well here goes in the uk high rise flats are normally leasehold is it the same in spain who owns the building?do you own the property for life. Are you responsible for exterior repairs balconies windows outside paint etc the estate agents are being pretty vague about these questions please help

In spain apartments are normally freehold and are governed by the Horizontal Property law.  This is a different concept from that in the U.K.

In theory the structure of the building is the responsibility of the community. 

However the windows I have always understood are the owners responsibly but any alterations to their appearance must be with the permission of the community and maybe also the town hall 

That said. I have a large terrace which extends over an apartment on the floor below.   When that apartment had water coming through the ceiling I was told it was my responsibilty to resolve it

Thankyou for your reply are you in an old apartment block and would you recommend it i love city life places of interest and the choice of walking the beach so any help is so useful thanks

I moved to my present home when it was new.  I prefer new to old    As for city life,  having spent 48 Years living and working in London, if I never even see a city again it will make me even happier !

Can anyone recommend a removal company to take my furniture from the UK to Spain please

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi we moved about six weeks ago from the UK to Spain and we choose BISHOPS INTERNATIONAL REMOVAL COMPANY. We were happy with their Service and the price was reasonable . We moved to Gandia and our villa is in a very narrow road.They reloaded our funiture and boxes to smaller Transit vans in order to get round the corners and it worked out very well. Hope I could help you. Regards Susanne