US Absentee Voting

Here we go again...

I just want to encourage all US expats here to make sure to register and obtain your absentee ballot for the upcoming mid-terms. Give yourself enough time, because letters I mail to the States commonly take a week to get there (on two occasions it took 3 months, though luckily those were just Advent calendars for my kids rather than my ballot).

Wisconsin voters (and perhaps in some other states as well, but not all) must have a U.S. citizen sign a “Ballot Certification” as they see you secretly complete your ballot, and the person needs to provide his or her US address.

This year's story so far: I found an American who was willing to help and provide her address. However, she warned, it's an APO address. Because I do not want to take chances that my ballot is thrown out on a technicality, I wrote to my contact in my former Wisconsin town where I'm registered to vote, and she replied: “The witness does have to be a US Citizen, so I would have them use their last known address in the States (instead of the APO Address).”

Now, if anyone can explain to me why a former street address in the US is proof of citizenship while an APO address is not, I'll be happy to hear it. I happened to have a guest staying with me who _does_ have a US street address, but he is not a US citizen, so… Whatever.

I'll just keep my re-printed ballot and certification in my purse and stop the next American-speaking person I hear. I might even brave the horror of the Canstatter Wasen (I don't like crowds). Don't give them any reason to throw out your ballot – follow their instructions to the letter!

I don't think one seriously has to ask why Wisconsin has such nonsensical rules. It is run by the GOP which tries to suppress voting including from overseas. Thankfully, not all States are this bad. But one can say in general that it pays to do things in advance, as much as possible. In Ohio, correspondence is done through email although the final ballot has to be downloaded, printed and sent in by post. The first hurdle for many is to verify that they are still registered. Purges of the voter rolls are common, often on nonsensical pretexts.

After several back-and-forth messages, my contact in my former home town has confirmed with the election commission that an APO address IS valid for the witness signing the Wisconsin "ballot certification"!

I wanted to set the record straight here in case there is anyone on this forum from Wisconsin.