Remembrance Sunday ....

Just an early reminder for all Commonwealth citizens about Remembrance Sunday.

This year, 2018, the 11th November falls on a Sunday.

The British Embassy has said nothing yet.

But one can be 99% certain it will be at Solymar Commonwealth War Cemetery, near the Auchan supermarket starting at 10.55 for 11.00h. 

Details of where it is located here: Solymar War Cemetery

Should anyone want this, I have a non copyright copy of lt post, 2 minutes silence, and rev prepared.
3,6 megabytes MP3 file

Since the subject is around, war cemeteries all over the world are likely to be holding ceremonies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tI8s2jQnzQ

No pics and you can download as audio file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwzAN1X … e=youtu.be

Good grief. How time flies when you are not sitting in a trench in Somme. It seems like just yesterday I wrote:

https://stcoemgen.com/2014/08/07/if-wwi … bar-fight/

Side note, also see:

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

Fred wrote:

Since the subject is around, war cemeteries all over the world are likely to be holding ceremonies....

Yes they will do.  Anywhere there's a cemetery, there's a Remembrance Sunday service (multi-denominational of course). 

Usually in Solymar, there's the Rabbi and two Christian priests (I forget if an Iman turns up).   British, Canadian,  NZ, Australian, South African ambassadors attend.  Most of the deceased in Solymar are Australian/NZ, South African and Polish.

It's quite well supported - perhaps 50-70 people depending.  It's usually cold but sunny.  They sell poppies on the day.  There's supposed to be tea and biscuits at the British Ambassador's residence afterwards but I've never attended that part.

I've attended these ceremonies in Hungary, Africa and the UK.  Some of them are rather large affairs with 100s of people.  I usually make a point of going but I don't always make it.

I mentioned in another post that our 87 year old Hungarian neighbors younger 84 year old sister passed away and they had her funeral on Thursday out somewhere in NE Hungary.
She was a loyal Catholic but somewhere in her 84 years on earth she as a church member got behind in her , "payments" to the church and owed them about 100,000 Forints on her death.
She had to settle for a nice funeral held by the funeral home with a ,"heretic" giving her last words instead of a Catholic priest. Not happening with her church unless she came up with back dues first!
Really is sad and disgusting to my mind.
My mind is blown, guess without the "magic" words she may find herself on the wrong side of heaven!
Sorry to offend anyone but my "God" WTF?? Seems one has to buy their way to Heaven.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I mentioned in another post that our 87 year old Hungarian neighbors younger 84 year old sister passed away and they had her funeral on Thursday out somewhere in NE Hungary.
She was a loyal Catholic but somewhere in her 84 years on earth she as a church member got behind in her , "payments" to the church and owed them about 100,000 Forints on her death.
She had to settle for a nice funeral held by the funeral home with a ,"heretic" giving her last words instead of a Catholic priest. Not happening with her church unless she came up with back dues first!
My mind is blown, guess without the "magic" words she may find herself on the wrong side of heaven!
Sorry to offend anyone but my "God" WTF?? Seems one has to buy their way to Heaven.

Now I'm going to offend people and I'm not going to apologise...ever!

How come she owed money to them?   I'd say that was completely unethical, even evil of them but that's them all over, mind control freaks and gatekeepers to fantasy land of their design.  That's how they exercised their psychopathy - fire and brimestone and fear.  Notwithstanding the sanctioned child molesting, the snatching of babies and illegal adoption, beatings and nastiness,  such behaviour is utterly criminal akin to a mafia. 

Reminds me of that Church joke, rapidly summarised here:

Collection plate comes around with the money piled up.  Priest takes the plate and throws it up in the air and scrabbles around collecting all the money that falls to the ground.  Congregation says, "Hey what's going on?". Priest says, pointing to heaven,  "God takes what's his/hers and the rest is mine".

I rest my case.

My missus had to go to court to have her name removed for church records so that she didn't have to pay them the 10%.
I am C of E, there is only one church in the whole of Austria and that in Vienna. I've only been a couple of times because of the distance.

SimCityAT wrote:

My missus had to go to court to have her name removed for church records so that she didn't have to pay them the 10%.
I am C of E, there is only one church in the whole of Austria and that in Vienna. I've only been a couple of times because of the distance.

I used to pay the church tax in Germany until I found out I could get out of it.  The absolute cheek of it all.   

We have all sorts of dodging of religious involvement here.  None of my kids have never been christened and that has had some minor impact but nothing special.  We opted the kids out of religious education in school and the alternative is called ethics.  So far, I've been pretty impressed by the Fluffyettes' grasp of ethical questions and dilemmas. They seem to like the subject too. 

But they (the school and teachers and even other pupils) do try and push in these religious things on people even if they do it unknowingly.     

I don't like religious involvement in schools - even symbolism.  The local secondary school here is run by nuns and priests. Needless to say, the kids aren't pupils there. It has a poor reputation anyway.

yeah church and statte should  be separate. Have any religion you choose I don1t mind, but don't mix the two togeher,.

I belongt to proper churchm, have church key here whiuch opens a bottle of beer like a church key should. Now alll I need to do is get a VEryx large set of pliars to tryx to prise my wife's legs apart. Thik that is going to take a lot of elbow grease tooo.. but where can you buy elbow grease i hungray the local stores seem to be all out of it?

I am being a bit sarcastixc of course but church and state should be separate. I maybe a a hypocrite because I was married bz the Church of England about eiight years ago but to me that was a ceremony, not a religiios thing,. I have no idea in what I believe in I am an apathist,.- i supposed if i knew and had faith it would make my life simpler,. i know my bible and it is a good read, well old testament is, for poetry and murders and so on, better than any Agatha Christie, The are alll murdering each other all the time,. in beautudul KJV thank you now the modern versions that ruins the pioetry,

olh I also served the Church ui a minor way for seven years,  the church two doords down from me in England,. You serve god in any way you want. My wy to serve is tio clean the place and translate latin inscrioptns and bits and pieces, edit the church newsletter,. By Sunday I am a bit tired to say thou art my downsittting and my uprising.

SimCityAT wrote:

I'm one of them weird Muslims, that lot with the bumpy vests and AK47s, you know them. Anyway, moving to Indonesia made life easy for me because there are more mosques than corner shops here - handy. Indonesia even has a road sign to tell travellers a mosque is coming up, probably the most pointless sign in the world because there's one of the things every 300 metres anyway.

BAD JOKE - SORRY ABOUT THE YORKSHIRE ACCENT AND THE NAUGHTY WORD

Anyway, in an attempt to get back on topic, I did a load of stuff with local branches of the legion (Sold poppies for many years from the age of about 13 to 45 - started in the ATC and it sort of stuck) so got to know the ceremony pretty well, thus able to set up PA systems to suit the job but there was sometimes a problem - Many small branches didn't have a bugler available so I made up the recording for such times.
Well, I've uploaded it to youtube for free download by anyone - probably best done as an audio grab - so any of you dudes short of a guy with a brass thing sticking out of his gob can use it.

Have you noticed, you can spot an RSM the moment you see him. Don't know what it is about those guys but they stand out as RSM in the same way a red smartie stands out if you put one in a crowd of yellow smarties. I once made the mistake of asking one if he needed a microphone - If you know what an RSM sounds like, it was a pretty stupid question. He just looked at me as if I was dribbling and ready to pee pee myself.

wellé the woman we voded for yesterday, sunday, won the election. I took a bit of shoe leather but now orban viktor has one fewer. Calll it a posdted vote or whatever yxsou want but now she in in votes are tallied and counted and orban viktor can sit in

my wife and i could be botherec to go and vote. and it made a difference,. see?

Fred wrote:

I'm one of them weird Muslims, that lot with the bumpy vests and AK47s, you know them. Anyway, moving to Indonesia made life easy for me because there are more mosques than corner shops here - handy. Indonesia even has a road sign to tell travellers a mosque is coming up, probably the most pointless sign in the world because there's one of the things every 300 metres anyway.

I don't recall seeing an Imam at the Solymar Remembrance Day but I do remember there being one present on the day in West Africa where I also attended one year.   

There are Commonwealth War Cemeteries in Indonesia, quite substantial ones too.

SimonTrew wrote:

yeah church and statte should  be separate. Have any religion you choose I don1t mind, but don't mix the two togeher,.

I belongt to proper churchm, have church key here whiuch opens a bottle of beer like a church key should. Now alll I need to do is get a VEryx large set of pliars to tryx to prise my wife's legs apart. Thik that is going to take a lot of elbow grease tooo.. but where can you buy elbow grease i hungray the local stores seem to be all out of it?

I pressed like on the first bit of your post but the second part wasn't suitable for a like.  Maybe they ought to have smileys Facebook style.

You're not running for membership of the US Supreme Court are you?

I know,I never knew one had to pay "church dues" to be brainwashed .
Yes, my 87 year old neighbor had gone to her 84 year old sisters funeral the day before and told us they had to use a minister from the funeral home because her sister owed 100,000Forints !
I have serious Catholic relations in Poland, not sure how to tell them I think that religion is a crock of ****!
I actually am not religious at all but I do have faith in a God and lately ( maybe cause I'm getting old... I have rediscovered Jesus but not in a Holly Roller sort of way', it's personal.
My father was raised Greek Orthodox by his Rusyn( small band of peeps in Poland, mountain people) but when he was forced to serve and witnessed WW11 as a medic he cut all ties with his childhood faith.
He never spoke about God unless he happened to hit his finger with a hammer, then he spoke the Lords name!
My first cousin  is "interesting" he was going to seminary school, then went to India for a few years and became a Muslim, legally changed his last name etc.
Then he found Jesus again and married a women with her own following and church. Now he is alone drinking and smoking in New Mexico.
His older brother, my other cousin, lived and studied on a native American res for over 10 years, studied under a holy man, even learned the native language of the mohawks, was a drummer and singer with a few other men. They even made a few CD's under the name of "Full Circle Drum Society". He is a trip to hang out with.
The ex- Muslim ex whatever cuz doesn't fly anywhere because his last name is a trouble for him.It is very "middle eastern".
It's sad to see a person so confused yet seeking a higher power but never really finding what he was looking for.
My son loves himself his Buddhist ladies, they aren't all hung up on small issues.
His current wife is 100% non religious even for a Japanese lady, she isn't even really Buddhist. Free of all outside mind control.
My husband, the Hungarian was the one and only non Asian, non Japanese person in the Buddhist temple on Maui in the mid 1970's, he still thinks if he were to follow any religion that Buddhists do it best.As it stands he is very logical and tends to believe in just science.
He never asked me to join him back then, I was not interested in any church . temple or building, always can find "God" in nature and in family.
I wrote one of my very sweet cousins in Poland and she mentioned to me whenever things go wrong for her she talks to a lady named Mary.
Took me me a second or two to figure out who she was referring to.
One of my first cousins on our Poland trip was married for over 45 years to a man from India, he passed away but she is still very close to his family and her daughter married a man from India too.
The are Hindu, my cousin is also. Funny thing her grandfather in Conn. was a Greek Orthodox Priest ...
I  actually believe if I had the chance to know more about it all, I'd go native American and just seek God out in nature, that old peace pipe would be sweet too!
My husband was a alter boy and in the choir as a boy here in Budapest. Not all the popular in communist days to be a church memember.
No one ever abused him , I asked, many times, no way but he still felt creepy in church, even passed out once from the smell of all that holy smoke.
These days he will not even enter a church to do sight seeing, just not interested at all, in fact he get mad if he enters, all that money wasted on a building.
He would love to see and I would also love to see them torn down and parks or swimming pools put in their place.

Most religions start out to be a good thing but greed, doctrine and control take over and turn it into something it was never meant to be.
My mom used to have Bible studies in the house with the JW's. For a couple of years.
My older sister even got herself Baptized as a witness. She then divorced her husband and her Kingdom Hall rejected her, they are not allowed to speak to anyone who divorces for one year unless the divorce was for adultery. Just when she needed friends they turned their backs on her.
She now is a member of some Jesus church in Minn. At least as a single senior citizen with low income they help her out, not like other churches.They just gave her over $1,000 for dental work and every Christmas they give her a few hundred bucks to use towards bills.
Makes her feel happy to have them around, not sure what to say about that.
My father really didn't mind too much when my mom held Bible studies in our house, it was a great excuse for him to go out to the bar for a few hours...
What a family we have covered just about every religion one way or the other, Catholic, JW, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu and native American. My mother and aunt were dragged as young girls to real Holly Roller churches where people literally rolled on the ground and talked in tongues, Scared the living c** out of her! God save us all!!
Oh, almost forgot, my husband's step- mom and half sister are Jewish!
My step- dad was Roman Irish Catholic, his sister later married a Jewish man and once she took me to temple with her when I was about 7 years old. It was pretty inside is all I remember...
When one of their brothers died in his 30's from alcohol abuse he was getting a Roman Catholic funeral, this crazy sister of theirs hired a Jewish Cantor to sing at his funeral!! 'Huge family fight over that one! Not sure if it went down or not but she asked and found a Cantor willing to sing at a Catholic funeral... I'm very confused now.

fluffy2560 wrote:

There you go. Proof. Donald was right. The world is laughing at the USA.

Now....

Ironically, because of his decisions. Or, to quote him: "Sad".  :(

We've gone off topic so I ....moved it here

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

There you go. Proof. Donald was right. The world is laughing at the USA.

Now....

Ironically, because of his decisions. Or, to quote him: "Sad".  :(

Trump is not as stupid as he looks, although that is not difficult for him. He has actually got things done, which is more than a lot of politicians do. The main thing with him is it changes with the wind what he says, but he does actually get things done. I am not saying everything he gets done is things I like, but that is democracy for you, it wasn't  my vote.

Should have a one cent bet on which airport is going to be renamed for him. George W Bush has Houston International, John F kennedy has one in New York, which airport are they going to rename after him? Maybe Pittsburg would do, since people think he is the pitts.

(Yes, I am well aware it was named after the British statesman William Pitt... but we had a bit of a falling out since then, and you have to name on of them. Maybe Dallas woould be better, as Trump likes to keep everything well oiled)

My missus is at the airport, off to the UK for a week's work leaving me in Hungaryland. This is just completely the wrong way round, I am English and should be in England, and she is Hungarian and should be in Hungary.

What a strange life we lead. But is fun along the journey.

SimonTrew wrote:

Trump is not as stupid as he looks,

I don't think he looks, or is, stupid. Demagogues are rarely stupid people.

SimonTrew wrote:

He has actually got things done, which is more than a lot of politicians do.

Name them. That he actually did himself. That really has real long term value to the American people. Not just those that are political posturing.

Rather what legislation that has passed are long term Republican issues they wanted to do for many years. So not "Trump" issues. And yet a party that has control of the Senate, House and POTUS, they still can't get many things done they claim they wanted to do. I am still waiting on real issues like infrastructure improvement, for example.

And of course, they blame the opposition party, which makes no sense, since the opposition has no political capital to stop them. Even the filibuster has been deleted as an option in most cases.

klsallee wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

Trump is not as stupid as he looks,

I don't think he looks, or is, stupid. Demagogues are rarely stupid people.

SimonTrew wrote:

He has actually got things done, which is more than a lot of politicians do.

Name them. That he actually did himself. That really has real long term value to the American people. Not just those that are political posturing.

Rather what legislation that has passed are long term Republican issues they wanted to do for many years. So not "Trump" issues. And yet a party that has control of the Senate, House and POTUS, they still can't get many things done they claim they wanted to do. I am still waiting on real issues like infrastructure improvement, for example.

And of course, they blame the opposition party, which makes no sense, since the opposition has no political capital to stop them. Even the filibuster has been deleted as an option in most cases.

Hmmm I am not saying he personally got things done, that is not what presidents are for, neither does HMQ go around with a hod and shovel laying bricks at schools, although a lot are named after her. I suppose what I mean is he has "enabled" things if that is the right word to use, that he has said, yes, you can do that, no, you can't do that. That is what presidents or monarchs are for, to set the kinda rules of business. Then get out of the way.

Like say in Hungary we buy citromsáv ant triso and all that kind of chemicals all the time, I know it is citric acid at some ridicouss concentration, you don't want to get that on you, goes straight through you. i buy paint thinners that send me high, and I am not a drug taker except alcohol and cigarettes, and higito sends me so high I have to go for a walk to work it off, using as I think Churchill said, lampposts more for support than illumination.

Yet I like in Hungary we still get oil based paint, it does send you a bit high, but it sticks to the gate in the way water based paint won't.

so that is kinda what I mean about Trump, he is a bit oily, or has spirit, but at least he is not watered down.

Hasn1t got his golf course on the east of scotland though :) Got the land, not the permission....

I can never understand this site.

My wife and I bought poppies or the nearest we could get to them in Hungary and have them on our lapels. We donated what is for us a large chunk of money to the Royal British Legion. We attend a remembrance service every year. We also attend the Hungarian remembrance service.

Then you get piss-takers who think that I have no respect for soldiers that fought for our freedom. well shut your mouth up, wear a poppy, go to a remembrance service which is the title of this topic, and maybe spend two minutes silence for all the people who fought for you to have the freedom to be an idiot.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,. But at the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

So pay your due respects and not be a w. My missus and I attended the Hungarian rembrance day service and as she happens to be in England now she will attend a local English service. Shut your mouth up. I donated as much as I could afford to the Royal British Legion, I could have spent that money on hamburgers or lightbulbs. I

don't like shouting about charity, but I am and have been a member of the Royal British Legion for over thirty years. Do not take the piss. Have some respect.- People fought for your freedom, your freedom to disagree with me. Without them, you would not have the right do disagree.

I agree anyone who ever disrespects a soldier doesn't deserve to have their own freedom.
You may have views on the policies of any country but the foot soldier should always be respected.
Most of  my male cousins and other family members and even some old school mates were drafted or enlisted during the Vietnam war.
I was in school and we held our little anti-war protests but we never name called or disrespected anyone in uniform.
Mostly felt sorry for them.
If a person is drafted, they really have no choice but to serve or face jail or worst.
I've mentioned many times how my step dad no, 2 was a 2 time POW.
he was also a medic and wanted to save people not kill them.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I agree anyone who ever disrespects a soldier doesn't deserve to have their own freedom.
You may have views on the policies of any country but the foot soldier should always be respected.
Most of  my male cousins and other family members and even some old school mates were drafted or enlisted during the Vietnam war.
I was in school and we held our little anti-war protests but we never name called or disrespected anyone in uniform.
Mostly felt sorry for them.
If a person is drafted, they really have no choice but to serve or face jail or worst.
I've mentioned many times how my step dad no, 2 was a 2 time POW.
he was also a medic and wanted to save people not kill them.

They also serve.

For conscientious onbjectors, that was fiddly, they also served. They were put to work in coalmines or steel factories or atever, instead of going to prison, they still served.

God let us pray we never see a war like that again. We can argue, and disagree, and have different opinions, Lord God let us pray that we never see a war like that or any other war, ever again.

Jaw-Jaw is bette trhan War-war as Churchuill put it.

Well in my step-dads case he might of taken out more people then he ever saved. He was awarded a bunch of medals and ribbons for his service.
3 purple hearts a bronze star pinned on his chest by one of the presidents, not sure which one.
My husbands step- dad in the HU Army was captured by Russia with his unit, he may of been the only one to have survived those 5 to 6 years they were being held.
On the bright side, he learned how to speak Russian fluently.

klsallee wrote:

....Not just those that are political posturing.

Politics everywhere has become extremist.  Some really horrible advertising I'm hearing about concerning the black candidates. Even one of Trump's message has been banned.  If the mid-terms produce a backlash then hopefully we'll see more reasonableness and moderation coming back across the world. 

The problem I have with Trump is that I cannot work out if he's nuts or not, bordering on meglomania or it's just some managed exaggerated showmanship. 

How can he even think he has the authority to rescind parts of the US constitution by executive order That, Iran sanctions and that business of sending the troops to the US border to "stop the caravan" is just total political theatre. 

Given all the timing about the mid-terms I think he knows full well how he's manipulating the public.

Everything, all across Europe, is moving to the Right, politically. It is a bit worrying, and I only get one vote, and I use it. It is a worrying trend though, Orban Viktor is extremely right wing, but it is not just him, all across Europe it is moving to the Right.

Now democracy is a good thing. People should be allowed to make choices but then leave me alone to make mine. I pay my taxes, I look after my wife and my cat, leave me alone, not your right-wing nutter attitude interfering in my life. I give to charity, I give to the homeless I see in the metro stations, it is a cause that matters to me to get people off the streets, they need a helping hand, that is my choice to do that out of money that I have earned. I have put homeless people up in my own house to get them an address and get them on the "housing ladder", that is my choice. Yours might be cancer or heart disease or liver function or multiple sclerosis, all worthy causes.

Once when I was in Cambridge, England I was walking down the High Street there (it is not actually called the High Street, Cambridge has very odd way of naming streets, I think it is Regent Street at that point but could be Hills Road) and there were at least four people with tins asking for money. I put into the Salvation Army, as my mum was born in a Salvation Army hospital, so it has always been dear to me. The chap from the Sally Ann said "You can't give to everybody" and he is right, that then I am broke and asking help from YOU.

If you can, you must. That is my rule, if you can, you must. You have to be a good samaritan. You cannot always help, but if you can, and you don't, you are just an arsehole to me. I am not particularly religious, I am humanitarian, and look after my fellow humans. It is not really difficult: If you can, you must.

I had a good friend in Cambridge, England called Clive who used to busk selling the Big Issue outside of the Sainsburys there, it was just around the corner from me. Saw him every day and he knew I was not going to give him money every day, might as well have switched positions, but gave him a couple of cigarettes and said hello Clive. Sometimes what the homeless need is someone to talk to, everyone ignores them. He asked me once for 90p I think it was for his bus fare back to the homeless shelter, I didn't have it on me, I gave him the change I had but had just gone out without any money or wallet for a walk, I would have happily given it to him I just didn't have it on me.

I felt so guilty going home that I have a nice warm house that I pay rent on and a good job that pays money and he has to beg me for ninety pence. And he would not usually do that, as he saw me every day and we would shake hands and I would give him a couple of cigarettes. He just needed 90p for his bus fare, had not had a good day. I would gladly have given him that, but it was the last bus so he had to jump on, if I had rushed home and raided the tin, he would have missed the bus.

Being homeless is very hard work. There but for the grace of God go I. Yes, I have worked for my living, for my house, for my wife, but with one false step I can be sleeping in the metro station, and it can happen to you. Just something goes wrong, your house burns down, or whatever it is, and you are homeless. So that is why my charities are to give to the homeless. But whatever you choose, this Remembrance Sunday, that is your choice and I will respect it.

I also give to the Royal British Legion because they do a lot of work throughout the year helping veterans and so on, it is not just one Sunday. They fought for our freedom to be idiots. Please remember that.

For example Dennis Skinner, the "Beast of Bolsover" who has sat in the UK parliament for God knows how long and makes a bit of a stir, does a good job by being irritating, he was a "Bevin Boy".  He was sent down the mines during WW2 to mine coal while the miners were sent to fire guns at people. They were known as Bevin Boys, after Ernest Bevin who introduced the policy.

If you go to the Imperial War Museum, and I happen to have a copy to nobody's surprise, you can get a copy of the recipes that Britain did during WW2. It escapes me now the exact name even though I have it, but it is the Home Cooking Handbook or something like that. Where do you think the expression "Make do and mend" comes from, it is from the British in WW2, and my wife and I always do that, we hate throwing anything out. I collect wood. I also collect dust.

This these days is called "upcycling" but I have done it all my life and so has the missus. Can't stand waste. My parents grew up in WW2 and we were told to waste not, want not. It is very hard for me to chuck something out.

And it comes in handy, sooner or later it comes in handy. My mate Barnus across the street, I gave him some paint, he is very happy about it, and he gives me some plums. That is how it works. That is being a good neighbour.

That is all you have to do. Be a good samaritan. Be a good neighbour. You don't have to be Jesus Christ. You just have to respect your neighbours and help them out when you can.

Fred wrote:

Should anyone want this, I have a non copyright copy of lt post, 2 minutes silence, and rev prepared.
3,6 megabytes MP3 file

Fred, I can play the Last Post and the Reveille on a bugle, and can also observe two minute's silence.

Now, the tricky bit is, if I get my bugle and play it, where am I going to play it? There is a cenotaph or memorial near me, I have brassod it up so it looks nice, but there is nobody to play it to.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
But at the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

By me in XV district there is a nice cenotaph, with lots of names of Hungarians who fought on the "wrong" side in WW1. Maybe that is where we go to say thank you for all of these people who fought for freedom.

I don't really know how to do it in Hungary, the missus and I did it every year in England, but i am not sure how we can do it. But we will pay our respects. I am an idiot, I laugh and joke and take the mick, but it is something very important to me.

I maybe play bugle there but there will be nobody there to hear it. But at least it will be my respect, to do the Last Post and the Reveille.

We found somewhere a couple of poppy badges and they are on our lapels. I also donated some money to the Royal British Legion, and got a nice reply back on email, not a printout, a personal reply.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

You can find poppies at the British Embassy or at Solymar Commonwealth Cemetery on the day (this coming Sunday in fact, 10.45h for 11.00h). 

I cannot find any announcements but it's happened for years so should be on as usual.

That is good, I have never been to the British Embassy in Hungary, so I did not know that.

My wife is in the UK this week so can no doubt get poppies, but we found some simulacra if I can put it that way, I am not sure that they are poppies but small enamelled lapel badges, that look like poppies, they are quite nice, so we are wearing those.

Of course we have donated to the Royal British Legion. I hope you have, too.

I am always amazed by what adverts you get on this site. There is an upside down tortoise now for some reason.

I didn't mention tortoises. A tortoise taught us tort, tort ought, as tort is ought to be, taught by a tortoise as a tortoise taught us tort, agree?

But now I have no idea what that ad is for, it is simply tautological.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Marilyn, you can come with me when we go. I have been building a stairway to heaven but I haven't quite got it finished yet, and need permission from Air Traffic Control to get it much farther. I am C of E so I am straight in, obviously. Blessed are the meek, Jesus said, and I am the meekest man you will ever meet, I don't even bother to shave or dress :)

But yes that is disgusting, joking apart. I put some money in the pot at the Church even though I am not very religious, I think to maintain things, I think it is part of being a society, part of being human, sometimes you put in, when you can, and you expect then that people who can't afford can take out, because it will be you ore me one of these days, if we have a bad turn.

We put a bit of money in the other day when we got paid and the charity box was stolen, not from the Church but from a shop. How low can you go? I usually leave my little bits and pieces to go in the charity pot. And you steal it? How low can you go, to steal from a charity?

That is super low to steal from charity but then again I suspect those big charities also don't donate all they could to their causes.
It's better I think to give directly to a person in need without using a middle man who might be tempted to put their finger in the till.

My cousin on Sunday and i had a bit of a chat even though the strobe lights and drag queens were running around before showtime.
He will be sending me a old photo of my grandfather from his youth, handlebar stash and all.
I've never seen his younger photos.
My cuz also told me my grandfather was drafted into the Czar's Army during the revolution in Russia.
I had thought he was on the other side of the coin.
He was born in the USA but went over to Poland in his late teens or there about's.
He was told to join the Army or take a bullet right then and there.
Guess you could say he was strong armed.
When he later wanted to return to the USA my cuz told me they at first wouldn't let him back into the US! A born citizen, they said he had been gone too long and they didn't want him back!
Now that's insane, they'll take anything in these days even non citizens.

Now I am getting adverts for learning German. This is because I mentioned that I don't speak German.

My neighbour Barnus is deaf but for some reason thinks it is better to talk to me in German than in Hungarian. Although I am English, I can actually understand Hungarian. I don't know what a grubscrew is or a millimetric mandrill, but I do get by in Hungarian every day, but he insists on talking to me in German, even though he himself is Roma, and I can understand Roma a lot better than German.

So usually there is this kinda battle, csata, going on when I am trying to speak to him in Hungarian and he is trying to speak to me in German, for no apparent reason. I don't know if it is because I am blonde and tall and somewhat Aryan in that way, but he knows I am English, but starts speaking to me in German. That is about as much use as a snake in an arse-kicking competition. Were he to speak in Hungarian I might understand him, German is no use to me at all. Roma, I can get by in. German is no use. Plus you are deaf so I have to shout back at you.

He is a lovely man, though. A very lovely man.