Obtaining the F-card Residence Permit

Hi all,

As you all know getting information out of the Belgian bureaucracy can be super difficult. Therefore, i am desperately asking for help!

We are a EU and non-EU couple planning to get married and reside in Brussels, Belgium.

I, a non-EU citizen, currently hold a student residence permit in Belgium (as I studied in Belgium for a year). This residence permit will expire on 31.10.2018. However, my country has visa-free regime with EU and I can stay as a tourist during a 90-day period.

I want to know which would be the easiest and the most efficient way to obtain the F-card Residence Permit in Belgium.

Option 1: Get married in the Belgian City Hall: From what I understand it involves several steps: submission of the necessary documents, processing of the documents, and finally setting of the date of marriage by the commune. How long does this process usually take and what status would I be granted during the process? Since my residence card expires in a month, I would like to know if the Belgian authorities would grant me some type of a status before the process is completed.

Option 2: Get married in my country (it can be done instantly)  and submit the appostile/translated marriage certificate to the Belgian authorities. How long does it take for the Belgian authorities to issue the six month F-card after the submission of the marriage certificate.

Thank you in advance!

Have not looked into this scenario a lot (to get married here). From what I gather, I think it is easier to register here after you get married in a different country (considering you already have the automatic right for short stay here in Belgium).

http://www.commissioner.brussels/i-am-a … nification