Rookie Shipping Mistake

So I decided to try shipping from Amazon to a address in "Miami" that redirects to Sosua. My friend let me use her address. I was curious how it would work.

Well it all went like clockwork. Delivered to FL in 2 days. Another 5 to DR. I thought I did my homework throughly, multiplying the weight by pesos.

FYI... product weight and shipping weight are different. 😕😕 And, shipping weight is listed way at the bottom of the description. Lol...good thing I like the light fixture cause it cost twice as much to ship as I thought. Oh well, now I know.

Lesson learned...read the entire item description.

Thanks for sharing your experience!  It will help many others.

Good observation. I have gotten that surprise as well. 

When shipping make sure that your shipper does not round the weight up. For example 1.2 pounds becomes 2. Makes a big difference long term.

Planner, this was CPS. Which shipper did you say did not round up? We plan to set up our own account when we are there in a couple weeks. I have tried to set up an account online, but no one ever replies. I think it might be best done in person.

And one more question. Do they offer a few days storage time? Or, do you have to pick up on delivery day?

Sounds like something I would have done as well.  I'm sure we'll be shipping some stuff soon too, so interested in the replies.

BM Cargo does not round up!!! I am very happy with them.

Yes the items can sit a few days. I buy quite a bit online and often let things sit a week or two while other packages arrive.

CPS does air and sea shipping...maritime is by volume a little slower, but cheaper...they diver to your door too...had great service with them...ask for a quote once you have dimensions and then estimate about 20% more than there estimate when all isid and done...email elizabeth At cpssosuacabarete dot com to get an account set up...let's see if the allow that address hahaha

We really like MBE

what shipper did you use, and did it come door to door or did you have to go and pick it up, new to how things work in DR

Welcome to the forums.  Each  mail forwarder company is a bit different. Depending where you are located   you need to check out the ones available to you there.   Some are franchises and the service standards can be different.

Some will  deliver to your house.  Some will not.  Some will charge for that and some will not!  Check out all the details before deciding which one to try!

Being out in the campo I had to look for courier with an office relatively close and in the end having read reports and fees I opted for Domex.

My experience so far has been excellent.

Its exactly the same in the city!   Look for a courier fairly close to you,  with  ease of parking!     For me there are like  5 close to me, then I look at fees and service!

Hi there! Was curious if anyone had experience with a or can suggest a shipper in U.S where I can ship bigger ticket items being in price and weight. Ie lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, bathroom sink fixtures etc. Maybe some furniture and TVs. It's for our new build. Obviously these items will surpass the $200 max limit and will carry a bit of weight so not sure if cps will be cost effective. Also due to items being more than $200' will we be subject to taxes?

You will pay ridiculous taxes and duty bringing all that in.   Are you getting or have you got residency? 

You may be better off buying most of that here. Only bring in what you can't find or what you must have!

I used Luciano shipping with offices in New York, Miami and Santiago for my entire home shipment. They were excellent and much more reasonable than any other shipping company I was quoted. They are a family owned business that really cared and made sure everything arrived as needed. However due to cost efficiency please note that their services is not a 5-10day  turn around, items typically arrive within 15-25days (door-to-door). I had a wonderful experience with multiple large shipments over the year and highly recommend them.

The best part is that their quoted price includes all expenses (shipping, import taxes and delivery in Dominican Republic etc).

Here are their contact information should you wish to reach out.

Us office t# (718) 860-4300
Santiago office t#  1 (809) 581-7194

I use a 'mudanza' too
Mine is Awilda Shipping - NYC (Corona) and Santiago

Been a customer for years.... never had a problem
Shipped household effects, stoves, BBQ's, fridges... lawn mowers

Prices are all incl - door to door

Please let me know your email and what you can shipping

Yes sometimes the Mudanza - as Willie  states -  you pay a flat price including the shipping and all taxes.  The point is ADD ALL THAT to the cost of the item and then price them here.  It often does NOT pay anymore.  We have almost everything readily available here.

New TV's are charged by the inch.....flat rate

Fridges (from memory) are $300 if used - $400 new

Just to give an idea.....
For $400/fridge..... you'll get something not available here, IMO