Windows 10 - Utter rubbish

I'm sick to the back teeth of the lousy rubbish we know as windows 10 (The devil's operating system).
Seriously, this vomit inspiring pointless rubbish is suicide inducing so it has to go as I like life justa lot too much to have it ruined by Microsoft's morons.
Whatever I try can't have anything to do with half eaten fruit because it's stupidly expensive and not even close to good enough for anything.

I need to run:

A browser with full translate for any and all sites (The windows version of Chrome does this but their Android one does not) Other browsers try but fail.

A picture editing software package - I like corel draw but anything with the abilities of Corel 5 will do the job.

A simple audio editing program - I use Audacity

A simple video editing program - I use powerdirector

Powerpoint / word - The powerpoint (preferably) has to have the audio that gets lost on the android version.

Who can save my sanity?

Its better than Vista, and better than 8 lol

SimCityAT wrote:

Its better than Vista, and better than 8 lol

I used to have hair like a hippy but I went bald because I pulled it all out after using windows 10 - I look like a skinhead now.

If you let your sanity and well-being be influenced by an operating system (or computers in general), you are doing something wrong!

beppi wrote:

If you let your sanity and well-being be influenced by an operating system (or computers in general), you are doing something wrong!

Imagine this.
I catch a flight, travel 6 hours, set up the computer to give a presentation ... but I have to wait 5 hours for the thing to update.
I needed to write and email a report just before the last big update but that ended up late because the rubbish OS wouldn't open until the update had finished - 5 hours waiting for that poop and the update gave me absolutely no advantage over the previous version.
Now add that rubbish assistant thing they force on you, that's the one that uploads a pile of data and you can't turn it off, and I've done with their rubbish unless I can't find an alternative.

That's why I consider windows 10 to be an idiotic lump of junk.

My laptop is nothing less than useless because I can't guarantee it'll turn on when I need it, so I replaced it with a NUC with windows 8 for home and a tablet with 10 for presentations but I've turned the wifi off on that so it can't update.

I'm fine in what I want and do, but windows 10 is utter crap, unusable utter crap at that.

My laptop has ALL updates turned off but it's updating at the moment.
The cumulative update for 2018-09 is initialising - I haven't been using it because of the virus like updates so I suspect it's a bit late on this one.

nonobaby60 wrote:

I paid 2000 dollars for a republic of gamer laptop

I run Google Chrome, Office and a few bits and bobs.
$2,000 would be a rare old waste of money. My Windows 8 work perfectly well, the problem being windows 10 software, nothing else.

As a note, that also runs quite happily but these damned updates are a pain, not worth the tint risk of virus infections, and the crappy software collects your data anyway.

nonobaby60 wrote:

as long as you are happy Fred

The point is, I'm far from happy with 10.
The long and the short is the computer I use for presentations either has to be kept offline  or it's useless because I can't rely on it to work when I need it.

Fred
actually ,was exactly like you on Windows 10= hated it with a passion,
went on a cruise and did a windows/ Microsoft course, learned the ins n outs of Windows 10.
great course and learnt that 10 has some great advantages over previous windows programs,suggestion,do a window 10 course and learn the background /hidden facts  behind 10= absolutely fascinating

Sheepdog wrote:

,suggestion,do a window 10 course

If the course tells you have to turn the ruddy updates off, I'll be happy to do one.
If it's impossible to turn them off, it's a pointless load of old crap because I can't guarantee the computer will turn on so it's useless having it.

As I said before - after several hours flying to a job, I need my computer to work properly, not work properly when Microsoft decide it will.

As A note, I gather microsoft are warning people lower spec computers may crash and be unrecoverable - Disgusting

https://download.cnet.com/blog/download … TREf2961de

Microsoft is also warning users that Windows Update literally does not verify that enough space is available before commencing. So if the device runs out of space while updating to the next version of Windows 10, the installation simply fails -- and it may not be recoverable. Your data may still be on the drive, but Windows itself is hosed and must be fully reinstalled.

Microsoft know their rubbish might well destroy otherwise fully working computers, but they do it anyway without any attempt to check for potential damage.

And as for that crap Cortana rubbish, I gather that's so crap even windows have been forced to admit how bad it is and are dumping it.
Of course, whatever they replace it will will very probably force you to upload data to that as well.

Their Edge software is a bad joke, and bing was probably coded by someone using a bong; both are pointless junk but their idiotic crap tries to force you to use them at every turn.

I'm hunting for an alternative and, as soon as I can find something, microsoft gets a dose of defenestration.

Windows 8 is fine.

ROFLMAO
enjoy your searching for a replacement? have new laptop and with Windowes 10 setup was easy as, and had no updates the three weeks of use so far? good luck

This is pretty simple stuff

I need my machines to work first time, every time
Window 10 can't do that

Window 10 has to go.

I'll survive on Windows 8.1 as long as possible but I won't be using any windows 10 machines on line because I can't.
The long and the short is, I can use a 10 for powerpoint as long as it remains offline, but I have to find something else for any machine with an internet connection.

I agree with you. Just as we speak my laptop with windows 10 is not working. LOL
And if it does it keeps on getting windows updated.

I don't know anyone (non-geek) that doesn't have problems with it.
My daughter's teacher was pulling her hair out one visit because her rubbish windows 10 was updating so she couldn't do the lessons she's planned.
My sister got rid of hers and went back to 8,1 because she couldn't use her 10 for lectures, and another teacher I know sold her 10 laptop for the same reason. She bought a bare bones and installed a pirate 8.1.

There go just three examples of many.

I am not a computer wizard, geek or whatever.
My present laptop has windows 8.1 which works fine for me. As I am looking to get a new computer some time in the future I tried a friends desktop with windows 10. Not impressed at all. I too hope that there is a replacement for windows 10 or I will have to try and find a pirated windows 8.1

Pirate software is best avoided but I was forced into a pirate 8.1 for the home computer because I was unable to get a real copy.
The whole point of the new machine was to replace a 10 machine with something reliable, but 8 is hard work to find now.

I've just tried Android Powerpoint but it isn't as good so it looks like I'm going to have to stick with a windows 10 tablet that's kept off the internet for the moment.

Fred wrote:

I'm hunting for an alternative and, as soon as I can find something, microsoft gets a dose of defenestration.

Alternatives are ca;;ed LINUX.
You only install, what you want

l3ully wrote:
Fred wrote:

Alternatives are ca;;ed LINUX.
You only install, what you want

I know of it but know nothing about it.
Just looked up powerpoint and it seems there is an app that does roughly the same thing but I'm unsure if powerpoint presentations will run on that OS.
Same goes for Microsoft word and Excell files.
I gather there's a version of Chrome that does.

Perhaps you could enlighten me.

The other question - can I Set up a Windows 10 tablet to boot up on Linux, leaving windows to stew in its own juices?

The most important is the HDMI out as I want to use it with projectors

I have a dual boot 10/Android so I'm guessing there's a chance

As for last post- yes, it looks possible. With the dual boot before, you run a fair chance of losing those installations. You will have to research on that on your own.
If it can run a windows, then sure, a linux will run on it
As for linux itself: we have all, microsoft/android offers. The only issue night be some linking within applications, e.g send file as email or integrating calendar into email ..and similar.
testing is also quite easy- download a linux image, "burn" it to a USB stick and you already can run it, before installing it. Boot from USB
Suitable for beginners are distros like Ubuntu, Lubuntu,....
They are very much windows alike in GUI, just different. If you get it to run, then you in theory, you can install it.. with that multiboot, you have to manage yourself to get help. Linux users not need neither use
A tip aside: The more easy the install, the more clutterware you have (full desktop, include all office apps ....) Some praxis will help you, to start from minimal and build that, what you need. It's not that difficult

Oh for the bygone days of XP....
How I miss you..

Mr. Gates can take a long walk off a short cliff soon.
WPS Office works great on Android and replaces MS office in every way.
I'm off to a major tech show on Friday where I'm sure to find a >1000 lumen portable projector with wireless input so I can run the thing from my phone.

Windows has become unusable for many people and I'm sure they're going to have to recognize their folly or lose a lot of ground.
As I look around and see what business travellers are using, more and more people are opting for Apple or Android tabs, fewer and fewer using laptops.
The tablets are small, light, and work just as well for office work as any windows machine but they don't have the problems windows have created.
Samsung's NeX system is a PC killer, allowing full computing power from a smartphone. Bit limited in choice and expensive at the moment, but that'll change soon - tech always does that.

THERE IS A FREEWARE APPLICATION CALLED "CLASSIC SHELL" INSTALL IT & WINDOWS 10 WILL LOOK & ACTED LIKE WINDOWS "7"  CHEERS MATE!!

Does it stop the updates?

The appearance isn't an issue, only the updates

Fred wrote:

Yep, if you install linux

l3ully wrote:
Fred wrote:

Yep, if you install linux

I know of Linux but I know nothing about it.
Will it run chrome, WPS office and other simple windows designed software or are alternatives available?
Also, can it be installed on a W 10 laptop - are drivers and so on available or do you leave W 10 in place and dual boot?

Try, I am not jesus.

Neither an I so I'll find a computer Messiah and ask them if they can do it.
I have a laptop sitting lost in the wilderness just looking for the right religion and Linux might just be the true calling. As there's no loss in going for it, I'm game for a dare.

The best OS I ever used is Windows 7. Install a decent anti virus and disable updates.

7 and 8 did the job but 10 does not.
If I can't be reasonably sure the computer will work when I need it, it's pointless owning it.
The offline tab is fine as it can't update but it showed warnings it wanted the internet in order to update a few days ago.
I'm hoping they haven't built a timebomb into the thing that forces you to update it.
If so, it's in the bin and that new Android tab gets bought

Also 8 is crab

OH! sorry mate, I thought it was an access problem due to the touchscreen format of windows 10 layout, my bad... I wish I was in Cambodia I love troubleshooting problems just like that,
Cheers mate & Best wishes!

Haurqermer swartz wrote:

OH! sorry mate, I thought it was an access problem due to the touchscreen format of windows 10 layout, my bad... I wish I was in Cambodia I love troubleshooting problems just like that,
Cheers mate & Best wishes!

No worries (I love that Aussie phrase).
I have no issues with the operation or anything else except the updates as this can be a serious problems. It came to my attention when I had to write an urgent report but was unable to do so as the damned computer was updating for almost 5 hours - my report was late - unhappy.

My job takes me all over the country and I just can't risk having to cancel a gig after hours of travel and a lot of disruption to the site's normal day just because the ruddy software won't do as I need.
That makes online Windows 10 useless to me so, for the moment, I'm carrying two tablets - a windows 8 for the internet and a Windows 10 (needed HDMI out) for presentations.

As there is no end in sight for this issues, I'm heading towards a new Samsung Tab 4 with DeX but I have one thing holding me back, the translate functions in Chrome for Android are far more limited and I need to read a lot of foreign language content.

I just read the first few posts.

But I can say that I am very happy with Windows 10.

I have been using MS Windows since the first version after MS DOS.  With the exception of Windows NT and Windows 8, the operating system has become better and better.

I have been using Windows 10 for years with an MS Surface Pro 3 tablet with only a i3 processor and only 4GB RAM.  The boot process and all applications run fast enough.
Except for my Electro-CAD program I have to wait a little bit for the graphics rebuild.

However, I have to admit that I also maintain Windows 10 a little (Wise Disk/Registry Cleaner).  But the effort is minimal.

Windows normally downloads the updates automatically in the background and when restarted the updates are installed first.
Only the rare very large updates take longer to install.  However, the last big updates were installed in only about 15 minutes on my tablet.
However one must also see that nowadays much less data garbage is left with updates and to clean all the data garbage simply needs more time.

I also have to remind the Apple and Linux followers about viruses and stability that MS Windows is simply more common and needs to support much more hardware and applications.
You shouldn't be surprised that there are sometimes problems and many updates.

Considering all this, Windows 10 is simply an excellent operating system.

Can you post the spec of your machine?

cheewei92 wrote:

Cheap but enough to do the job fine except it has 32 gig of internal.
That low memory could also be a problem as I'm told windows is getting even more bloated and the latest updates could naff up the computer.

I don't care about virus protection as it never sees the internet and all files put onto the thing are scanned before they get moved.

As I said, the operating system isn't the issue as everything works without problems, but the damned updates are a lot more than just a pain in the bum.

@cheewei92

https://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft … 007/specs/

But Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit), Version 1803 (OS Built 17134.407)

Update:
Oh sorry, you probably ask Fred  :D

Fred wrote:
cheewei92 wrote:

Cheap but enough to do the job fine except it has 32 gig of internal.
That low memory could also be a problem as I'm told windows is getting even more bloated and the latest updates could naff up the computer.

I don't care about virus protection as it never sees the internet and all files put onto the thing are scanned before they get moved.

As I said, the operating system isn't the issue as everything works without problems, but the damned updates are a lot more than just a pain in the bum.

1. you should never turn off the automatic updates, because windows updates does not only fix bugs, it also fixes vulnerability of your system, i understand your laptop does not connect to internet and scan everything before they get moved, but it does not mean your computer is safe, i will explain it in another part 3

2. if you have some important event/meeting coming up, you can temporary disable the automatic update, but make sure to put it back on, windows update is your last line of defense

3. You need an antivirus, this is why
The main purpose of virus/malware is to help the hacker makes money, it can be done by stealing your credit card information, using your machine power to mine cryptocurrency, use your webcam to take your nude photo and blackmail you etc etc. All these features requires a lot of processing power.

By just scanning an infected file might not detect the malware because most malware are encrypted using RunPe, that means the malicious code is encrypted and will only run under certain environment. Thats why you need an antivirus, because it will monitor the program you opened, and if the program runs a malicious code it will know

Without an antivirus, your machine might be infected and running a bunch of unknown malwares(silent miner, rat, keylogger, adware etc) in the background, it may not send out the your information to the hacker, but its consuming your processing power every second.

Get a decent antivirus, do a full system scan, 5 bucks says it will light up like the 4th of july.

4. lastly, if your computer is slow, Windows 10 should be the last thing you blame. You can try to review your machine spec with an expert, your habit of using laptop, clean up your computer once in a while(cleanup + defragmentation + optimize) , check the running program/process(also the hidden one), check your startup app etc.

Treat your machine like you treat your car.

Andy Passenger wrote:

I just read the first few posts.

But I can say that I am very happy with Windows 10.

I have been using MS Windows since the first version after MS DOS.  With the exception of Windows NT and Windows 8, the operating system has become better and better.

I have been using Windows 10 for years with an MS Surface Pro 3 tablet with only a i3 processor and only 4GB RAM.  The boot process and all applications run fast enough.
Except for my Electro-CAD program I have to wait a little bit for the graphics rebuild.

However, I have to admit that I also maintain Windows 10 a little (Wise Disk/Registry Cleaner).  But the effort is minimal.

Windows normally downloads the updates automatically in the background and when restarted the updates are installed first.
Only the rare very large updates take longer to install.  However, the last big updates were installed in only about 15 minutes on my tablet.
However one must also see that nowadays much less data garbage is left with updates and to clean all the data garbage simply needs more time.

I also have to remind the Apple and Linux followers about viruses and stability that MS Windows is simply more common and needs to support much more hardware and applications.
You shouldn't be surprised that there are sometimes problems and many updates.

Considering all this, Windows 10 is simply an excellent operating system.

This reads pretty fair and realictic. However, most microsoft issues are caused by protection of commercial interests.
Yes, it's tempting, whilst it is working. But something not working, the waiting for a patch is ages and this only for "known" issues. Due to the cclosed source and decompiling even illegal, there no way of a legal secondary opinion and due to monopoly, less chances of fixing.
I am linux user (since just pre-windows7(, also did di the wholde MS ways with DOS  and I agree, that until windows XP, windows had more advantages compared to linux.
Since windows 7, the coins turned sharply, possible caused by the relative monopoly of windows, increased software treats, again a rapid increase in financia; protection by microsft, whilst exposing users to even more treats , Since after Windows , this even went into extremes thhat bad, that open source (mosty linux apps) get even implemented, just to kep the name alive.
For most "normal tasks, any linux will serve you better. Most software is at least sufficient enough. What is missing and will remain missing, is the deep integration into the OS itself.  The actually BIGGEST mistake, microsoft has forced users into as well, as the "marjketing thing", all users can be admin. And trust me, an admin should be clearly different to a user
It is simply not good, porting each application, most never should have a right to request or accept communications via any port just like this.
Also, I personally dislike a lot, the huge system resources required to run it, all shit, if needed or not, is installed AND ported - opening up endless doors and "windows" to enable really every idiot to break into your machine and only yoy get locked out.

Since about 2007, Linux has improved that much, that everyone  cam install and use a  Linux distri.
Admin and users are strictly seperated as well as apps and system.
Other clear advantages:
- You install usually that and only that, what you need, almost nothing is installed or  configured without you commands
- almost no app is ported, you have to install and/or configure it yourself
- you decide, where and what and where it is installed and who can access /use it
- updates are coming, once they are 'ready', which could be several times during a day
- due to flexibility and security mechanism, as well less main stream, less viri/malware
- a lot of windows apps can run under linux
- There ain't many apps, where one can't see/check/change the source code
- huge communities supporting each other- different to "wait for the patch"
- in most cases, linux appas can handle microsoft stuff, but less, the other way around
- again security, Linux has a lot of more ways of authentication, especially to remote machines
- Linux can read/write windows, but windows can't even see any linux
- most distros/software ain't on;y open source, but they are commonly free and mostly equal good, as the windows versions
- Almost nobody wants to collect your personal data. if you stick to the official repositories, as this software is usually strongly vetted (yes, it's not always 100%)
* above resulting in much higher security as well as much stronger security
Disadvantages:
- one quite often needs to lookup/ask for information, how to install., configure ....
- limited driver availability - usually only for very new hardware
- less gizzmos
- apps can be suddenly missing/misbehaving after uodates,, so t might requiring a testing before or fixing them self
- you need to make your "admin" /root, before you can be an admin. This again, is not that difficult. Those, who not make their homework are soon excluded from advanced using
- GUIs are less flashy

To be totally honest, I only use oe windows software, for very specific work, as at that level NO linux equivalent does exist. Anything else is worked and run on Linux amd ,y most modern machine is a PIII with 8 gb of memory.I can ensure you, that linux is powerful enough, to fake any windows 12 and above server, so, that microsoft that actually validates as a valid licensed server with 64gb of memory and more.

Those, who can control their childish mut-be-admin and childish behavioyr like gaming on a tool, are sure better with a linux

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR