Transferring Z- Visa from Yiwu to Shanghai

Hi All,

I'm Kaushik and I work in Yiwu, Zhejiang at the moment. I got an offer from Shanghai and I would like to know the process of transferring work visa between cities. Do I need to go back to my home country to transfer or can it be done by being in China? My new employer has asked me for demission certification, proof of work and proof of cancellation of work permit and asked me to come with these to Shanghai on 15th of October, so I have about 20 days. I have read that if the previous employer cancels residence permit then it is possible that I may need to go back to my home country and process my application all over again which is a real pain. I have asked the HR in Shanghai for the best way forward. Any suggestions from you guys is highly appreciated. Is there any one here who has switched cities for jobs?

Thanks!

Rules have been changed a few months ago and I am sure whatever you read on forums online is not 100%. There's an online application system and most of the work is done online now. Same unified system for all China.
Make sure your future employer got the latest guideline or do your homework and call the exit entry office in Shanghai on Minsheng road 1500
Last time I switched jobs, years ago, release later was need and I think the former employer did cancel my RP.